Is photoperiod bullshit?

yes they are important.

My buddy bought a couple clones and is growing them out. He is skeptical that you have to keep a 12-hour period of darkness and avoid light leaks during flower. I will forward your responses to him. Am I full of shit or are these things fairly important?
oy vey! if the light leaks, balls on your plants have you will
best to not let the light leak, it is!

My buddy bought a couple clones and is growing them out. He is skeptical that you have to keep a 12-hour period of darkness and avoid light leaks during flower. I will forward your responses to him. Am I full of shit or are these things fairly important?

Here's one you can forward: There are two ways someone can say that they've never (successfully) grown regular cannabis strains before. One is to say, "I've never grown regular cannabis strains before." The other is to state that 12 hours (or nearly so) of uninterrupted darkness is not required for flowering it, lol.

Actually, that second method also screams, "And I've never bothered to read about it, either." :rolleyes:

Is this person you're speaking of eleven years old? Because most twelve-year olds have at least glanced through a High Times magazine whilst waiting for the store clerk to turn his/her back so that the person could sneak a peak at the nudie magazines. Or has the Internet made all that completely unnecessary?

Tell your buddy to experiment. Take half his clones and let them get light leaked or given more than 12 hours, and then only 12 hours and no light leaks on the other half. His skepticism will evaporate when it comes harvest time.

Hahahahaha tell him it doesnt matter and to crack on while you make sure your girls are locked down dark , even power lights for extensions, sockets and equipment can throw a girls auxins to shit. . He could be confused with autoflower and lots of similar statements arouns their light tolerance. Send him a link to 420 and allow him to learn as much as his head can take in. There are debates from licking seeds to start them off to using Jesus piss as a nute on here. I am sure he will find his "right way" lol

Ok when I was in first grade they taught us about how seasons are caused by the movement of the earth around the sun, and the way it tilts... They say that plants have noticed this ‘seasons’ thing too.

Some people say that plants have even existed for longer than pot growers have. Can you imagine? No? Well don’t worry about it, hardly anyone here can.

So the plant looks up at the shiny thing in the sky in the daytime, and grows, and is happy yay. At night it sleeps. Zzzzzzz.
Every day it grows, so it can be a big boy or girl and do those big boy/big girl things when it grows up.

But after a while it sees that the days are getting shorter, uh oh. Summer is going away! Oh no! Better start working on those big-plant things and grow some flowers. Then it can find another nice plant friend and make some some nice seeds so it can make some nice baby plants. ❤

If the days never get shorter then, does the plant think it should just flower anyway? No it just keeps growing taller thinking ‘Wow this is the best summer ever I’m never gonna grow up’. Weeee!

Taller and taller. But then what happens?
Uh oh! There is no more room!
Then the mad bad sad grower guy comes and has to chop a bunch of the plant off, cause it got too big.

Does that sound nice, or fun?
No.
No it doesn’t. :(

That sounds like bullshit doesn’t it kids?

Stay in school grower-guy. Learn about big words like that one in the thread title. Plants will be glad you did.

Ok when I was in first grade they taught us about how seasons are caused by the movement of the earth around the sun, and the way it tilts... They say that plants have noticed this too.

Some people say that plants have even existed for longer than pot growers have. Can you imagine? No? Well don’t worry about it, hardly anyone here can.

So the plant looks up at the shiny thing in the sky in the daytime, and grows, and is happy yay. At night it sleeps. Zzzzzzz.
Every day it grows, so it can be a big boy or girl and do those big boy/big girl things when it grows up.

But after a while it sees that the days are getting shorter, uh oh. Summer is going away! Oh no! Better start working on those big-plant things and grow some flowers. Then it can find another nice plant friend and make some some nice seeds so it can have some nice baby plants. ❤

If the days never get shorter then, does the plant think it should just flower anyway? No it just keeps growing taller thinking ‘wow this is the best summer ever I’m never gonna grow up’. Wee. Then the mad bad sad grower guy comes and has to chop a bunch of it off cause it got too big. Does that sound fun? No.

Stay in school grower guy. Plants will be glad you did.
Yooo :rofl::rofl::rofl: lmao

A buddy of mine started one outside late this summer on an odd angle of the house. His house sits in the east and has a back patio built off the back of his house. The way it's angled that plant didn't receive ANY direct sunlight until it was about noon going on 1pm. Anyway, his plant barely grew 12 inches and this is after it stretched out too. He brought it inside because our winters start early and his result is barely enough to smoke a couple joints after it all dries up. Yet growers with controlled lighting have thriving plants.

Here's the friend talking...thanks all for the responses. A ittle more background information. In short, I'm attempting to grow two clones with more of a house plant relationship as opposed to an agricultural relationship under the following circumstances.

Circumstance 1. I live in Oregon and use marijuana medicinally with a targeted dose of roughly 10 mg thc consumed/20 mg thc in the raw joint. I accomplish this by cutting papers and tips and rolling what I call microjoints that contain on average about 0.15 grams of dried flower. An ounce in Oregon can go for as little as 50 retail with taxes paid. I believe in artists... I can support a local, and legal grower that I view as having artistic qualities when it comes to growing, drying, curing, and breeding for medicinal traits. He has 2 decades of experience with his strains, I have 2 days experience with mine. I can buy what I consider an ounce of very high grade weed that works wonders for me medicinally for maybe 250 retail. At this point in time my 250 will go towards medicinal marijuana that I really like, as opposed to tents and lights.

Circumstance 2. I will invite two marijuana plants into my house. If I wanted to grow for my medicine I'd probably invite perhaps Durban Poison and electric haze.....I've invited rather Casper OG and Black Raspberry. I'm excited about Casper because I see virtue in a smaller indica that was meant for indoor grows. I'm excited about Black Raspberry because of the complex aromas that the plants body is capable of creating even if it doesn't grow flower.

Circumstance 3. I'm accepting a gender neutral relationship with these plants. Meaning I will prune to encourage squat, bonsai like behavior. And if the plant is male, female, transgender, LGBT or what ever. Then it will be free to do what it wants

Circumstance 4. The plant will be in a sun room with the rest of my house plants. South, East, and North will be open to what natural light I can eek out my environment 3 blocks from the ocean in what was historically coastal NW rain forest. An additional led light will be utilized overhead which is not that great at 3000 degrees kelvin, and is advertised to have an output equivalant to a traditional 100 watt bulb. A timer will be used to supplement wintertime conditions and provide light from about 7 am to 7 pm. This is in a traditional 1930's bungalow neighborhood and will receive light pollution due the housing density/neighbors, and street light. I can identify basic constellations from the sun room with the level of light pollution, and have the potential to just barely make out the milky way at times a a few blocks away oceanside... so the light pollution is present but not severe.

Even if I get extremely loose buds with a thc content of say half or a quarter of what it should be, I figure I can just roll a half or full gram joint to make up for lack in potency. Also I'm fine if no flowers emerge, and the plant is appreciated solely for foliage. Any helpful suggestions? Crazy? I figure all I can say about this is: "what I know is that I don't know" and I'll see what happens in the future.

Only because you provided the option, I'm going to select "Crazy". No hate, all love and respect. Just saying, all that be cray cray.

:lot-o-toke:

But hey dude. :welcome:

Just come read the goodies here and there on this forum. You can easily get what you are looking for on the cheap, in a very natural and groovy way. I remember one time back in band camp, I did this grow, and it was like POOOF!

Hello, welcome, and I commend your courage in announcing yourself to be the subject of this thread, lol.

I've nothing against the concept of growing what might turn out to be a male. Or in growing a female in an environment that might mean you see little if any flowers and no bud. On the other hand, I ended up with a large amount of leaves (don't ask, lol) a few years ago, and they probably didn't do much for me, medicinally speaking. Certainly far less than ONE average autoflower strain female would have done - and I could have grown that without worrying even a little about dark cycles, because they don't depend on them to initiate or maintain the flowering phase.

And that's what I suggest you do. Word is that they don't universally suck these days ;) . You could literally treat one like a houseplant and it'd still flower and you'd eventually be able to harvest some kind of bud (although, as usual, the more light it receives each day, the better). There are hundreds - possibly thousands - of strains available which carry a pair of the autoflowering gene. If you like complex odors and strains which carry a whiff of sativa about them, you might greatly enjoy one called Dark Devil Auto. Here's a "little" thread about it:

The seeds are relatively inexpensive. I'm not going to post any links, as it's more annoying than I imagine a dose of the clap would be to discover that one of the staff felt the need to remove them because the business is no longer a sponsor - and who can say whether a business that is one today will be one tomorrow? But I just checked and saw three for less than $30, five for less than $50, et cetera.

Just a suggestion.

Here's the friend talking...thanks all for the responses. A ittle more background information. In short, I'm attempting to grow two clones with more of a house plant relationship as opposed to an agricultural relationship under the following circumstances.

Circumstance 1. I live in Oregon and use marijuana medicinally with a targeted dose of roughly 10 mg thc consumed/20 mg thc in the raw joint. I accomplish this by cutting papers and tips and rolling what I call microjoints that contain on average about 0.15 grams of dried flower. An ounce in Oregon can go for as little as 50 retail with taxes paid. I believe in artists... I can support a local, and legal grower that I view as having artistic qualities when it comes to growing, drying, curing, and breeding for medicinal traits. He has 2 decades of experience with his strains, I have 2 days experience with mine. I can buy what I consider an ounce of very high grade weed that works wonders for me medicinally for maybe 250 retail. At this point in time my 250 will go towards medicinal marijuana that I really like, as opposed to tents and lights.

Circumstance 2. I will invite two marijuana plants into my house. If I wanted to grow for my medicine I'd probably invite perhaps Durban Poison and electric haze.....I've invited rather Casper OG and Black Raspberry. I'm excited about Casper because I see virtue in a smaller indica that was meant for indoor grows. I'm excited about Black Raspberry because of the complex aromas that the plants body is capable of creating even if it doesn't grow flower.

Circumstance 3. I'm accepting a gender neutral relationship with these plants. Meaning I will prune to encourage squat, bonsai like behavior. And if the plant is male, female, transgender, LGBT or what ever. Then it will be free to do what it wants

Circumstance 4. The plant will be in a sun room with the rest of my house plants. South, East, and North will be open to what natural light I can eek out my environment 3 blocks from the ocean in what was historically coastal NW rain forest. An additional led light will be utilized overhead which is not that great at 3000 degrees kelvin, and is advertised to have an output equivalant to a traditional 100 watt bulb. A timer will be used to supplement wintertime conditions and provide light from about 7 am to 7 pm. This is in a traditional 1930's bungalow neighborhood and will receive light pollution due the housing density/neighbors, and street light. I can identify basic constellations from the sun room with the level of light pollution, and have the potential to just barely make out the milky way at times a a few blocks away oceanside... so the light pollution is present but not severe.

Even if I get extremely loose buds with a thc content of say half or a quarter of what it should be, I figure I can just roll a half or full gram joint to make up for lack in potency. Also I'm fine if no flowers emerge, and the plant is appreciated solely for foliage. Any helpful suggestions? Crazy? I figure all I can say about this is: "what I know is that I don't know" and I'll see what happens in the future.

you should grow an auto

Back
Top Bottom