InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I thought I'd update y'all on the Sour G. Since I would normally have watered it this morning (I did water the Chiquita Banana) it seemed like a good day to get a couple of pics of the whole plant before it wilts.

Head on:

Side view:

It's not pretty now so I can only imagine what that's going to look like after the drought!

In other news, here is the Candida that I trimmed 11 days ago:

You may remember that I supercropped the top rather than snipping it off:

When you top a plant, you slow it down and get two new tops. When you supercrop you don't slow it down much and you can get at least 4 new tops!

I may stop topping my plants and bend them over from now on.

Oh, yesterday afternoon the clouds rolled in and we got a full-on lightning and thunderstorm! Luckily my wife was home and got all the plant inside to one place or another, so nothing got soaked. The rain had stopped by 6:00 but the lightning continued for the rest of the night. When I took my dog out about 9pm it was like fireworks in the sky in all directions!

Today...back to the sun. :cool:

Quote:
Well this sounds interestingly Good . Don't know about the science but i know when growing say hot peppers and a drought comes and hot days the peppers will be a lot hotter than if you pick on rain soaked day or soil saturated days . anyway i am in O i am here , maybe not to much longer can do a grow !
Oh you getting back to growing again would be a terrific move. I hope it happens, that you start a journal for it, and that you drop a link here. :)

the clouds rolled in and we got a full-on lightning and thunderstorm
Fall has also definitely arrived up north. It’s full on pretty much daily rain and temperatures dropping into the sub 50s.
Keep that wife happy for watching over the plants!

we got a full-on lightning and thunderstorm!
We got a little lightning and about 6 seconds of rain out of it..
It's not pretty now so I can only imagine what that's going to look like after the drought!
That's going to be hard to watch...but it's for science!, so I'll keep watching...

That supercropped Candida looks real good!

Fall has also definitely arrived up north. It’s full on pretty much daily rain and temperatures dropping into the sub 50s.
Keep that wife happy for watching over the plants!
We never get rain this early, and hardly ever get full-on thunderstorms. I'm sure it's some combination of Santa Ana winds and tropical moisture up from the south, but I'm no meteorologist!

And I keep my wife happy by growing all this cannabis for her, so she'd be hard-pressed to say no. ;)
We got a little lightning and about 6 seconds of rain out of it.
We did better than that, but of course it all runs out to the ocean. :(
That's going to be hard to watch...but it's for science!, so I'll keep watching
For science!
That supercropped Candida looks real good!
Thanks! If I remember I will do that on my next plant (which should be a joint grow with VG) around the same time I would normally top. We'll see. :)

Here is the latest update as we sit back and watch the Sour G wilt! Watered on Sunday, so I'm calling this day 3 of drought.

And I have a question for @Maritimer: am I looking for a 50º drop from the 0 in this diagram? Caplan's paper doesn't have a diagram of after drought, just before:

The entire petiole is supposed to have dropped 50º from its starting point when measured from its connection to the branch? Do you have any pictures from yours with that angle that you can post here?

Dead leaves don't even have that kind of wilt from the branch, as you can see in this dead leaf on the plant:
20211006_091403 Sour G dead leaf.jpg

Please clarify before I end up with all dead leaves! :thanks:

Quote:
Topless topping. Let the intrigue flow!
Toplessing?

Here is the latest update as we sit back and watch the Sour G wilt! Watered on Sunday, so I'm calling this day 3 of drought.

And I have a question for @Maritimer: am I looking for a 50º drop from the 0 in this diagram? Caplan's paper doesn't have a diagram of after drought, just before:

The entire petiole is supposed to have dropped 50º from its starting point when measured from its connection to the branch? Do you have any pictures from yours with that angle that you can post here?

Dead leaves don't even have that kind of wilt from the branch, as you can see in this dead leaf on the plant:
20211006_091403 Sour G dead leaf.jpg

Please clarify before I end up with all dead leaves! :thanks:

Quote:

Toplessing?
When you took your turgid measurements (happy & fertigated) and marked or identified the measurement site and logged it down so you dont forget where it is, you that would give you a reading (not zero). Lets say you measure 50 degrees or 130 depending how the tool is held. Caplan tells us 50% change in the angle is our fertigation trigger, not 50 degrees of wilt. So if your turgid was 55 degrees a 50% change is 27.5 degrees.

This is kinda why I stopped using my angle finder so much. It can be hard to get accurate readings from many of the strains. Push this plant hard. She is already well into senescence anyhow, so the leaves will fall off. Your flowers won.t. You may need to support the branches to your guide pole. They want to lay down in a day or two more.

Caplan tells us 50% change in the angle is our fertigation trigger, not 50 degrees of wilt.
Oh, that's something I definitely missed. Thanks for pointing that out!

It still doesn't tell me where exactly I'm measuring from, since dead leaves don't have any change in angle when measured at the stem connection to the petiole.
20211006_091403 Sour G dead leaf angle.jpg

If they don't even change that angle when they're dead, the entire plant could be dead without reaching a 50% delta LWA!

I completely understand and appreciate the science here. But doesn't repeatedly depriving late flower plants also weaken the stems and risk them being too weak to carry the large end flower buds? I know super cropping will help but I also know that dry knuckles are weaker so could just become a snap point? Just checking feel free to call me a idiot and tell me to shut up haha

It's a great drawing, but if my dead leaf doesn't wilt there, what does that bode for the living ones?
I completely understand and appreciate the science here. But doesn't repeatedly depriving late flower plants also weaken the stems and risk them being too weak to carry the large end flower buds? I know super cropping will help but I also know that dry knuckles are weaker so could just become a snap point? Just checking feel free to call me a idiot and tell me to shut up haha
Great question Moony, and all I can say is "we'll see!"

not repeatedly, 1 drought starting week 7 lasting up to 11 days.

not repeatedly, 1 drought starting week 7 lasting up to 11 days.
Dang. That sounds scary as hell! I'll just keep an eye on @InTheShed 's test I think lol. Does this technique only work outside or work under lights indoors too? I've seen plants destroyed after only 5 or 6 days without water 11 seems unachievable?

taking the pooch for his ride in the country. looks like your measuring down when you should be up. know what i mean. The base of the tool points up along the branch, the opposite part of the tool you align with the petiole. The small angle it forms is LWA.

Dang. That sounds scary as hell! I'll just keep an eye on @InTheShed 's test I think lol. Does this technique only work outside or work under lights indoors too? I've seen plants destroyed after only 5 or 6 days without water 11 seems unachievable?
i have never ran drought outside.

Back
Top Bottom