HPS 400w vs LED 320w during flower time

I'm my opinion they need to provide better than the 400w hps, so far best from it was 12 ounces of buds approximately the size of a 1.25 coke bottle of fat chunk from 6 plants in that same tent

Thease led hopefully work good enough on this SCROG but there's no way they would have grown those Coke bottle buds they where 6 plants in dirt about 1 metre in hight, grown from seeds a frame plants.... Just chunk top to bottom nilly all covered, 12 ounces dry best grow I've done but yeh just a 400w hps with new bulb, after that grow same again but just smaller, I turned them quicker is all they where smaller but same chunky beast's from seed A frames 🎄 similar amount anyways... So can led beat that mmmmm yeh right no in that situation but hopefully go ok in the SCROG

Thease led hopefully work good enough on this SCROG but there's no way they would have grown those Coke bottle buds they where 6 plants in dirt about 1 metre in hight, grown from seeds a frame plants.... Just chunk top to bottom nilly all covered, 12 ounces dry best grow I've done but yeh just a 400w hps with new bulb, after that grow same again but just smaller, I turned them quicker is all they where smaller but same chunky beast's from seed A frames 🎄 similar amount anyways... So can led beat that mmmmm yeh right no in that situation but hopefully go ok in the SCROG

i'm not sure what entirely you are looking for ...

this is a 4x4 hempy grow under 600w of led dimmed back about 20 - 25% which is about 500 to 450w. i ran it as high as 90% earlier which is about 540w but had to pull back.

full

i got screwed a bit by bud rot but the grow still did good. it's 5 hempy plants in 5L pots.

the rig i used is an old diy 12 cob rig . it has a flower bias with an even mix of 3000k/3500k emitters. there's far more efficient tech now. i judge the newer stuff against my led dinosaur. it should at least do as well watt for watt.

we used straight hps and mh hid lights previous in a much larger grow. but were early adopters and added white light led before it was commercially widespread. we simply had access, we weren't inside wizards or anything. we ran a long time with a mix but wound up mostly led due to energy costs.

when the grow closed and i had to go back to personal i was already building rigs.

this is a 4x4 hempy grow under 600w of led dimmed back about 20 - 25% which is about 500 to 450w. i ran it as high as 90% earlier which is about 540w but had to pull back.

full

i got screwed a bit by bud rot but the grow still did good. it's 5 hempy plants in 5L pots.

the rig i used is an old diy 12 cob rig . it has a flower bias with an even mix of 3000k/3500k emitters. there's far more efficient tech now. i judge the newer stuff against my led dinosaur. it should at least do as well watt for watt.

we used straight hps and mh hid lights previous in a much larger grow. but were early adopters and added white light led before it was commercially widespread. we simply had access, we weren't inside wizards or anything. we ran a long time with a mix but wound up mostly led due to energy costs.

when the grow closed and i had to go back to personal i was already building rigs.
I luv the sound of your technology very interesting and great result those are comparable to my 400w grow indeed.. the thing is I am only able to buy off the shelf stuff, so limited to that and I need good results like above, although I don't know if 2xs 2000 or even ks 5000 or equivalent off the shelf stuff at a reasonable price, will it compare to your custom made set up or even a inexpensive 600w hps in reality the difference in power is minimal once you hit 12/12 the way I see it is, it's about 450/500w of led vs 600 w hps plus a 75w centrifugal fan so around 700w for hps and guaranteed goodness no questions asked,.. so it's 200w per hour in question which is really not much to provide a descent grow and that's why we doing not to promote led or some new way to grow but just to get the best outa the cheapest way, all the extra expenses on the best led tech is wasted on bullshit when you don't really need it and only have to pay a bit extra for electrical instead.. so yeh in my situation with whatever is available it's probably better stick to what I know works... I appreciate your input it's very valuable to compare and analyse this led thing. At the end of the day all I want is bang for buck , proven bang not something I have to trial and error through like everything else here, led is all over the place some good some shit, companies pushing it like all buggery, green industries wrought everyone for there own greed yeh

full

That looks very similar to my best 400w hps grow very similar, I just don't have the photos anymore 😔 but yes nice grow for led but those are custom made yeh? So you probably can't buy something that good for a decent price I assume.. I've seen other led for sale over $1000 I assume the top of the range eg hi par ect but the thing is id never buy that, the experience out way the savings with a questionable results untill proven by it, so like in my case I just had to buy and try yeh might get screwed yet although I'm happy to veg with them and just go buy 600 if this grow isn't as good as my best 400 grow.... Only a fool would carry on otherwise

most of the newer tech will equal what my rigs do or better with 100 or more watt less now.

Can you show me a photo of you best custom made light be interested just to look at it

full

that's the veg rig. i run the burple strips as a sunrise/sunset.

full

that's the flower rig. there's better tech now but i might never give these up lol
i've got rigs i built for clients at least a decade old now. i've replaced drivers on some units and had their efficiency come back to new.

at one time you could build a better rig far cheaper than buy it. the tech has narrowed the gap to the point i'd now probably just buy one with the specs i want.

or i'll build my own strip rig next. i have a 650w rig in the wings that i got through the board i want to use next, but i have to mod it for dimming and just can't get at it right now.

It kinda is more about the whole system.. power leds, physical positioning and how they shine, surface area, reflective walls.

Like the leds I use are Sanlight, 2 of their 200 watt lights in a 1x1m which is in between 3x3 & 4x4' produce a homogeneity of 0,88 which is very good as every square receives an even amount of high energy no too hot or too cold spots.
But two of their 265 watt lights which have a light module more and are longer for a 4' tent only achieve 0,63 homogeneity in a 4x4' which is a 1,20x1,20m which I think is pretty wild as it's only 20cm bigger on each side and the extra power and length are not enough to achieve similar results.

And looking at Bluters closet, the size and the amount of cobs on the ceiling he can flood that whole space with enough energy.

If you want to replicate that maybe buy a rig for a 5x5' that will just fit in the 4x4' and run it at reduced power.

Do those light have the best of the led at the time... How that works led then magnifying glass from headlight or something

Not sure what you're exactly asking.. but I'd say no? there are some that apply lenses but I don't think Bluter is a fan of those, only gets in the way there does seem to be a bit of a guide though.
I'd say these are good especially if you want to work a bit from a distance as they usually bundle a bit too much energy.

I mean Bluter what do you think.. I do get what he's saying if you're used to HPS, and you get a normal led that's just enough for the space plants don't really behave & flower the same as the flux behaves very different and the plants set themselves to that.

Bluter said he made this cob style I was wondering from what, look at the front of my car and see this magnifying glass in the headlights and wondered how you could use it

full

that's the veg rig. i run the burple strips as a sunrise/sunset.

full

that's the flower rig. there's better tech now but i might never give these up lol
i've got rigs i built for clients at least a decade old now. i've replaced drivers on some units and had their efficiency come back to new.

at one time you could build a better rig far cheaper than buy it. the tech has narrowed the gap to the point i'd now probably just buy one with the specs i want.

or i'll build my own strip rig next. i have a 650w rig in the wings that i got through the board i want to use next, but i have to mod it for dimming and just can't get at it right now.
Are thease cob style or not

used a few different mfgrs but the ones in the pic are citizen clu048 cobs. there are no lenses over them. they are an even mix of 3000k/3500k which is a fairly steep flower bias. you'll notice how warm the light looks in the pic. it looks the same as light from an hps.

these days i recommend building strip rigs over a cob style.

If you want to replicate that maybe buy a rig for a 5x5' that will just fit in the 4x4' and run it at reduced power.

that is exactly the advice i would follow. always stuff as much rig in the tent as the space and your budget will allow and use active dimming.

Back
Top Bottom