Help please! Newb grower sick plant

Mrmojoey1990

Plant is 13 days old, was doing great until two days ago...the first set of leaves started yellowing and eventually just died, its working its way up the plant..everything ive read suggests fungus gnats or N def..i have been using organic soil, miracle gro plant food, 4 60w equivalent cfl producing 3200 lumens all at 5000k....please help a rookie grpwer before i kill an innocent plant lol

Welcome to the forum Joey.

The plant has 2 small round leaves that break out of the shell and appear on the stem first, those are the dicotyledons and they feed the plant for the first 2 weeks. do not feed your plant until you see the dicots are turning a little yellow. Miracle grow is not the ideal thing to feed your marijuana, but anyway, you should start off only half strength. We need to see pictures in order to help you.

How often are you feeding/watering?
do you have a pH tester? you should have one, it's the minimum requirement for people dealing with sick plants and for general maintenance.
How big is the pot they grow in?
If the pot doesn't drain well or they are root bound, this will also cause leaves to die off and sicken the plant in general.

Recommendations:
Introduce yourself
Start a grow journal. Lots of smart people here are willing to help you along the way to good buds.

:welcome:Vlad

Ive only put plant food in it once..1/2 of a tbsp and i water maybe once a day...usually when soil is dry to my knuckle or the pot is light...forgive my ignorance but im not certain how to post my pics

Ive only put plant food in it once..1/2 of a tbsp and i water maybe once a day...usually when soil is dry to my knuckle or the pot is light...forgive my ignorance but im not certain how to post my pics

It's alright. Go to the top of the page and click on GALLERY > UPLOAD PHOTOS. from there it is pretty basic.

A photo is worth a 1000 words, let us see your plant!

Watering once a day can be too much, how much water do they get in a watering?

1/2 tbsp is a lot of miracle gro, did you mix that with a jug of water and that is what you use to water daily? How much water did you mix with the 1/2 tbsp of mgrow?

Vlad

I uploaded the pics to my account...and the plant food said it is continuous release and to put directly in the soil..its little pebbles..not a liquid nutrient

CAM010461.jpg

CAM010451.jpg

Hmmm I will call some of my buddies up and they will have a look at this.

The plant looks burnt. Only give it water and not every day, I believe a watering once every two days is frequent enough.
It will be fine and you can resume feeding in a week.

Vlad

Nute burn. You should never give nutes to a plant this young. Flush it with 3 parts water for 1 part soil and hopefully it will recover. Check your runoff pH at the beginning of the flush. pH may also be too low.

You're right about the watering, Vlad. But... this seedling has been overfertilized and will likely die if it doesn't get a flush. "It's all good" isn't the best advice for a dying plant.

You're right about the watering, Vlad. But... this seedling has been overfertilized and will likely die if it doesn't get a flush. "It's all good" isn't the best advice for nute burn.
He hasn't specified if all of the 1/2 tbsp of miracle g went into the dirt. I asked him how he mixed the dose and it is still unknown so flushing isn't necessarily the 1st step to recovery.
By the way, I've seen your nice seedlings in your gallery. How are they doing?

Vlad

Vlad
Thanks for asking. The pH was below the optimal range and because of a malfunctioning pH meter I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Once I brought the pH up the plants recovered very nicely. They are currently in flowering.

Thanks for asking. The pH was below the optimal range and because of a malfunctioning pH meter I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Once I brought the pH up the plants recovered very nicely. They are currently in flowering.

Wow small world. I too was recently battling with pH at 7.0 and had no pH pen. Then I got a pen but the pH would fluctuate back up after a few hours with 20 drops of pH down each time. I think it was crap down liquid because I got an expensive lab grade and now it stays down for days.

Vlad

He hasn't specified if all of the 1/2 tbsp of miracle g went into the dirt. I asked him how he mixed the dose and it is still unknown so flushing isn't necessarily the 1st step to recovery.

Vlad
He said he used "1/2 of a tbsp". I can only assume that's the amount he applied to the plant. Not sure what else he would have done with it. This is clearly either low pH, nute burn, or a combination of the two. What do you recommend instead of flushing?

He said he used "1/2 of a tbsp". I can only assume that's the amount he applied to the plant. Not sure what else he would have done with it. This is clearly either low pH, nute burn, or a combination of the two. What do you recommend instead of flushing?

The last time I used granulated miracle grow 10 years ago, I added the dose to a jug of water, 1 gallon dissolved, fed it every few days from same jug, it lasted more than a week for 1 plant. easy peasy. Unless you're right and he spooned the full dose directly around his plant well then the only thing left to do would be a flush. I just don't want him to root rot his tiny plant unless it's necessary to risk a full flush. I mean, how is a tiny plant going to dry out the big pot of soil?

Vlad.

The last time I used granulated miracle grow 10 years ago, I added the dose to a jug of water, 1 gallon dissolved, fed it every few days from same jug, it lasted more than a week for 1 plant. easy peasy. Unless you're right and he spooned the full dose directly around his plant well then the only thing left to do would be a flush. I just don't want him to root rot his tiny plant unless it's necessary to risk a full flush. I mean, how is a tiny plant going to dry out the big pot of soil?

Vlad.

Vlad, I never said that he "spooned the full dose directly around his plant". I never said anything like that. I'm sure he added it to his water and applied it to the plant the traditional way. He likely used a much smaller amount of water than your gallon for such a small plant.

I am assuming of course that drainage holes will be drilled into the pot before doing the flush, as I don't see any in the pic.

I've never heard of root rot from a flush. The water drains off. How can 3 gallons of water, for example, sit stagnant in a 1 gallon pot and cause root rot? It drains off, which is why it's a flush and not a watering. Have you ever done a flush?

Vlad, I never said that he "spooned the full dose directly around his plant". I never said anything like that. I'm sure he added it to his water and applied it to the plant the traditional way. He likely used a much smaller amount of water than your gallon for such a small plant.

I am assuming of course that drainage holes will be drilled into the pot before doing the flush, as I don't see any in the pic.

I've never heard of root rot from a flush. The water drains off. How can 3 litres of water, for example, sit stagnant in a 1 gallon pot and cause root rot? It drains off, which is why it's a flush and not a watering. Have you ever done a flush?

From what Ive heard a flush consists of three times the volume of the pot, and 3 liters is less than a gallon of water.

Regards.

Back
Top Bottom