Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

What did you use for sulfur with the Jack's? It doesn't have any at all!

Many of the Jack's products are designed to use with Epsom Salts, just like their 3-2-1 system, so Magnesium Sulfate was the answer.

Many of the Jack's products are designed to use with Epsom Salts, just like their 3-2-1 system, so Magnesium Sulfate was the answer.
Thanks farside! I was thinking that magnesium sulfate might throw the Ca/Mg ratio far out of whack since it's already at 2:1 in the Jack's.

If you're not seeing pH drift with nearly-all-nitrate MSU I have no idea why I am with similar nitrate number in MC. My water alkaline content is supposed to be 85-129 according to the water report.

Is that the battery acid (sulfuric)? How are you plugging the sulfur content into your spreadsheet?

I'm guessing your next grow will still be hempy?
Yes, it’s from the auto parts store - I think it was $6 for a quart. It comes as 30% sulfuric acid, and S is 32.7% of sulfuric acid. So I diluted it to 7.5% (2.45% S), which should provide 7ppm S per ml if my math is correct.

I will always grow some hempy.

There’s room for the Epsom. 1g provides 26ppm Mg, which brings the Mg up to 52 to the 92 Ca in the above example. That also gives you 34ppm S.
:thanks:

I'm really starting to think that I need a nute with a lot more ammoniacal nitrogen with ProMix HP. I thought my alkaline content was reasonable in the low 100s, but then I found this on their website:

How does water alkalinity influence the pH of the growing medium?
In the graph below, vinca plugs were grown for 49 days and constant fed with the same fertilizer at 125 ppm. The plugs were irrigated with three different water sources with varying alkalinities. The pH rose in all three media samples partially due to the fertilizer used and the limestone in the growing medium. However, the higher the alkalinity of the water source, the higher the pH of the growing medium.
water_alkalinity_ph_en_2.jpg

Source

If they managed to raise the pH from 5.3 to 7.1 in 49 days with an alkaline content of 200ppm, it's not surprising that mine will go up with 94% nitrate nutes and 120ppm alkalinity.

Oof!

partially due to the fertilizer used
Was there any indication as to the nitrate:ammonium content in the fertilizer they used?

You must be on a mix that includes some of our sweet northern water - and not just the dregs from the Colorado.

Thanks farside! I was thinking that magnesium sulfate might throw the Ca/Mg ratio far out of whack since it's already at 2:1 in the Jack's.

If you're not seeing pH drift with nearly-all-nitrate MSU I have no idea why I am with similar nitrate number in MC. My water alkaline content is supposed to be 85-129 according to the water report.

I cant say that I'm not seeing drift, I just don't bother to check since things have still been nice and green.

Was there any indication as to the nitrate:ammonium content in the fertilizer they used?
Only what they mentioned here:
partially due to the fertilizer used

You must be on a mix that includes some of our sweet northern water - and not just the dregs from the Colorado.
We take what we can get! At least I don't have a lawn to water anymore. :)
I cant say that I'm not seeing drift, I just don't bother to check since things have still been nice and green.
Do you know the alkalinity of your water?

Do you know the alkalinity of your water?

My water report is not that informational, but I know my water is usually 150ppm and it comes from a limestone aquifer, so I'd say the bulk of that 150 would be the alkalinity number.

My water report is not that informational, but I know my water is usually 150ppm and it comes from a limestone aquifer, so I'd say the bulk of that 150 would be the alkalinity number.
Makes no sense to me, unless the difference is how the roots respond to the nitrate N in the sun vs LEDs. That seems to be the one thing I can point to that is completely different between our grows.
The MaxiGro is only 85% nitrate - if you don’t mind B, Zn, and Cu deficiencies.
Nah, I'll pass! I think I'd be better off with either soil or a 66/33 blend without the deficiency. Already had the boron one once...wasn't fun.

I sent my buddy at ProMix an email on the topic and will report back when I hear...

Makes no sense to me, unless the difference is how the roots respond to the nitrate N in the sun vs LEDs. That seems to be the one thing I can point to that is completely different between our grows.

Nah, I'll pass! I think I'd be better off with either soil or a 66/33 blend without the deficiency. Already had the boron one once...wasn't fun.

I sent my buddy at ProMix an email on the topic and will report back when I hear...
Unless my Faux-Mix is that different as far as the peat used and the amount of Lime. But the Glue that's currently in the Walmart Pro-Mix Moisture Control is still very happy, so that kinda blows that theory.

Photo updates

The crazy buds of the back left photo Zkittlez. The tops of each cola are 3-4 buds, all even with each other.

The "telephone pole" NLxBB as dubbed by @InTheShed . It will probably see the axe Friday AM.

The auto tent. I'll try to get some pics of the photo tent when the lights come on.

Back
Top Bottom