First Grow: Sour Diesel, Outdoor 2020

Alright, I think my mission has changed for my next season grow. 90s haze. Frankincense type flower. This is the stuff I grew up smoking and nothing comes close nowadays. Been reading some promising reports from CG on the old school hazes so that will be the next phenohunt! Just have to budget for the seeds... :ganjamon:

Took this little larfy bud out for some sampling, dried on my xbox over night. It's nowhere near cured so this is not the time for a smoke report. But there is a very strong sour lemon smell to this pheno with a hint of earthy musk in the background. Once it's cured I will be able to pick out more of the terps. No grassy/hay smell whatsoever. It's more of a deep, dark berry aroma in the background. The effects are so much better than the dispensary flower. Instant and straight to the eyes....:cool:

20201005_131045_resized.jpg

Nice work, Abstrakt! Well done. Very gratifying to grow your own meds
Sounds like she’s gonna treat you right.
So! Hazes under cfl? :popcorn:

Yooo DD. Thanks bro. Hahaha CFL + haze...mannnnn I don't know about that. Shit I'm thinking about making my fence higher if I wanna grow some haze. Well...one of my neighbors already did it for me which gives me the the idea to finish it all the way around. :reading420magazine:

She came in good. Must be nice to be able to grow outside.

Probably could have let it go longer but I'm going for more of a heady, psychedelic high...OG Probably isnt the best option for that route but man this shit is heady for sure because I picked at 10% amber. A bit early if you like the contrary.

This one was outdoors until flower. Then it went into a mini 3.5hx3wl greenhouse until it finished. The humidity fluctuation was the most nutty part about this grow. But luckily it's dry enough to not have serious mold concerns.

My dry cabinet hygrometer is 55%rh and 65 F. Seems good enough? Honestly I'm freaking out more about the drying/curing than any other part of the grow lol

I'm hooked on this stuff so I'm most likely picking up a clone next week...Then finish my mission for that incense haze pheno...keeping a mother plant :battingeyelashes:

OG Probably isnt the best option for that route but man this shit is heady for sure because I picked at 10% amber

I hear that OG can be quite a good balance of the body and head buzzes!

My dry cabinet hygrometer is 55%rh and 65 F. Seems good enough? Honestly I'm freaking out more about the drying/curing than any other part of the grow lol

I believe that anything 60 and below is fine for drying, although I would wait for @DonkeyDick to confirm!

Your target for the buds themselves is 62%, so as long as your environment RH is lower than that, you're all good I think. To check: Every day or other day (?) chuck a sample of buds in a mason jar with a hygrometer, shut the lid, leave for a couple of hours and check the RH.

Or people do that branch/stem bend test too.

I'm hooked on this stuff so I'm most likely picking up a clone next week...Then finish my mission for that incense haze pheno...keeping a mother plant :battingeyelashes:

:high-five:

I hear that OG can be quite a good balance of the body and head buzzes!

I believe that anything 60 and below is fine for drying, although I would wait for @DonkeyDick to confirm!

Your target for the buds themselves is 62%, so as long as your environment RH is lower than that, you're all good I think. To check: Every day or other day (?) chuck a sample of buds in a mason jar with a hygrometer, shut the lid, leave for a couple of hours and check the RH.

Or people do that branch/stem bend test too.

Cheers Sy. I’m with you on the numbers in broad terms.
RH is a function of temperature + humidity and that 65F/18C is a little too warm for my liking. That will snap dry your goodies in a few days.
plan to put in the jar right before the stems snap because of the lack of moisture here.
It really is a question of you getting to know how your drying room works.
I hope you have some air moving through the space - air moving around but not at the hanging harvest? An extraction fan too?

Since I started drying in the fridge using the low and slow method (have you come across this?) I have aimed for a two week hang to get a similar result drying this way.
Because my drying space has only been 2 or 3 degrees mostly all winter it’s been ok that humidity has been high.

If you catch them when the stems crack but don’t snap them you’re getting a feel for it.

Watch out for mold though.

Hoping I took enough fan leaves off. Was so sticky and fragile, didn't want to cause damage.

Looked gorgeous. :) Next time try to see if you can get a plant all the way to harvest without touching a bud until you are trimming it.
Every time it gets handled, bumped, knocked, her trichomes are getting damaged. Great fun to roll joints around on a live flower ;) I bet it tastes great too, but try it this other way as well.
If you want to squeeze a flower to see if it is airy or solid, bring your hand up from underneath so you only handle the underside of the sugar leaves.
If you are harvesting by trichome colour it helps to remember that damaged trichomes will degrade to CBN (and look amber) while the rest of the flower is premature.

Sometimes I’ve mentioned to others how veg is more hands-on and I find while it’s really good to watch them flower there is nothing to do except keep my hands in my pockets. This is not a figure of speech.

Thanks so much!! That was super insightful. I've read a bit on the cold method but was unsure about it my first go around.

Next time I will work on self control going through the whole process from start to finish...this time seemed like Christmas.

Will put a fan near the buds. Indirect air on low? Would hate to get mold...

Dry update: The leaves wrapped around the buds were fairly crispy last night. Took a fair size bud and put it in a container overnight to remoisten. Letting it burp a bit today. Not smelling too great anymore to be honest. Hoping it comes back. It's still lingering in the background...

Feel like the dry is def too fast because of the high temperature as DD mentioned. Also had a fan circulating the air all day yesterday and it dropped the humidty to around 40 from 55-60 without circulation.

Really want to try the fridge/freezer method but my setup isn't up to par for that kind of experiement right now...

Should I be bucking these buds into the jar untrimmed since the outside leaves appear dry or wait a bit longer? They are at that sticky wet stage vs damp wet stage.

:thanks:

Small bud below

20201007_103251_resized(1).jpg

You might slow the drying process down by clipping the buds into jars (only half, ¾ fill your jars) and sealing them for a couple/few hours at a time. You’d need to lay them somewhere to air dry between jarrings, like cookie racks or something.
You’d have to be reallllllllly careful of mold. This is risky (but if you try it, try it at home :) ).
You’d have to be home all the time and hovering. Ideally, you’d have a button hygrometer in each jar. If the reading settles above 70% (low seventies) humidity unjar them straight away.
I don’t have the button hygrometers so I will seal the probe of my main garden one in a jar and watch it.
You seal a jar it will likely spike to 80% or so in the first hour then come back a little. Depending on the humidity in your room you can burp and work this down to something manageable (62%-58%).
The cure is a function of bacteria which die under about 55% (don’t quote me) so if you’re not too dry already you’ll find that the smell comes back later.
Worrying about the lack of smell now: either we went too dry too fast and the taste is gone, or they are drying well and the fact they don’t smell is because we are not losing any of the aromatics - this could be a good thing.
Growing it is just the first part ;)
You’re a craft cultivator now.
Delicious looking buds btw.

Man I appreciate that post so much! Thanks @DonkeyDick. Feel like my understanding of curing is more clear now...Was honestly expecting drying and curing to be the easy part. My world flipped once these tips starting coming in. :ganjamon:

I think it's doing fine, the strong OG smell is still lingering. Will probably jar up the smallest buds tonight and give the big one's a few more days depending how they feel/look. No budget for any extras right now unfortunately so I'm going to have to 'wing it' with the Jar humidity.

Just picked up some Super silver haze to smoke on while my buds dry and cure to circumvent my dwindling patience.

Yooo syenite. Thanks man. I'm still grateful that this plant hardly gave me any problems and stayed nice and healthy throughout. Although I've read a bunch of people saying the fade is essential to better flowers...

The more research we put into cannabis as prohibition lessens, my gut tells me we will find out so much more about this plant than we ever conceived imaginable. For all we know it floated in from space...The simple fact that we have receptors built into us is intriguing. When, where, and how did that establish itself...Stoned ape theory?

Can't stop pondering on the fact that this haze is so thought provoking and progressive despite it's wandering tendencies...My OG will never have that effect on me..more of a spacey, stoney effect. 'High' and 'stoned' are surely two totally different spectrums of reality... One is a trip to the moon. One is a trip to the couch and food cabinet. Lol

The more research we put into cannabis as prohibition lessens, my gut tells me we will find out so much more about this plant than we ever conceived imaginable. For all we know it floated in from space...The simple fact that we have receptors built into us is intriguing. When, where, and how did that establish itself...Stoned ape theory?

Hahah yes it is intriguing for sure. Especially considering that the plant has been around through most of civilisation and most civilisations. We're in a "dark age" of prohibition that is actually very recent relative to the thousands of years of the plant's ubiquity and pervasiveness.

Fun fact (if I'm not mistaken): The origin and evolution of our endo-cannabinoid system precedes that of the plant.

Make of that what you will! Wish I could remember where I heard that.

Can't stop pondering on the fact that this haze is so thought provoking and progressive despite it's wandering tendencies...My OG will never have that effect on me..more of a spacey, stoney effect. 'High' and 'stoned' are surely two totally different spectrums of reality... One is a trip to the moon. One is a trip to the couch and food cabinet. Lol

Love these reflections! Keep 'em coming. :cool:

Hahaha yes I have now observed and been able to repeat this with the 2 different kinds of flower I have right now.

One turns me into a cognitive-linguistic martial artist, hopping from one conceptual rooftop to another effortlessly.

The other one turns me into an euphoric potato.

Back
Top Bottom