First Grow: Single Outdoor Pot, 2023

catkins

420 Member
Hi! I'm making this thread to document my first growing experience. Around 3 weeks ago I was unexpectedly offered a clone from a local outdoor grower, by someone without much other information about it - so I assume it's suited to the local climate, but that's all I know for now. I have little to no gardening experience, but I got attached and I really want to keep her alive! So with that in mind, I thought it would be wise to get some more eyes on her.

I'm in Atlantic Canada, which means this grow is legal, but the weather can be rocky (there were still overnight frosts at the end of May, and we can get some very strong storms in late summer/early fall). I don't have a lot of funds or space, so I wanted to take a relatively laid-back approach to this one, but obviously without being neglectful. I plan to keep her potted, but leave her outside as much as the weather allows.

Here's a summary of events so far:

June 7
I received the clone in a small plastic pot. Beautiful dark leaves, a bit dry and damaged in places, I'm guessing from transportation/storage. Also, flowers! I wasn't sure why or what to do about it, it's very early, but I researched and came to the conclusion that with enough light, they should reveg on their own time. So I decided to basically ignore that part for the time being and let the sun do its thing.

pic1.jpg

June 8
I felt like I should get her into a better container ASAP, so after some research I went and picked up what I could get at my local Canadian Tire: a 2.5-litre-ish "eco pot" (recycled/biodegradable materials, seemed like the most breathable option available); this potting soil (promix was sold out, and the only other option was miracle gro); and a few basic tools. I also grabbed this nutrient mix, because I felt like it was a good idea to have something nutritious on hand.

pic2.jpg

When I pulled away the lining, I saw roots poking out everywhere! I chose not to disturb the existing soil, and basically buried the whole clump, then watered thoroughly.

pic3.jpg

The first proper picture I have. (There's a cast where I accidentally broke a branch, I took it off the next day though as it was clearly lifeless.)

In hindsight, I should have bought some perlite separately and mixed it with the soil, as the mix contained a much lower concentration of it than I expected. I tried not to pack it too tightly, but it was still pretty dense. But since I was planning on up-potting soonish anyway, I didn't feel like it was worth it to replace all the soil again unless I saw signs of struggle.

June 10
Just a cute little sprout I started tracking the progress of. (I've since read that you should avoid encouraging ones from too low on the stem... oh well)

pic4.jpg

June 13
Day 5 without watering. I'd been reading Emilya's guides on watering and I appreciate her slow and relaxed approach, so I'm trying my best to chill out and listen to the plant rather than my own expectations. And honestly, the soil just didn't feel dry yet. (perhaps because of the aforementioned density? lol) By this time though, I could see it pulling away from the edges of the pot, and I thought I noticed the leaves drooping slightly.

And here's the same sprout. Something is happening!

pic5.jpg

June 15
I finally watered! I also tied down the branches as an attempt to let more light in.

pic6.jpg

June 22
Exciting day =p I had been watching the leaf growth, which consisted mostly of weird 1- or 3-fingered leaves popping up everywhere, and felt pretty good about its progress. So I decided to snip off a few inches from the top, where most of the buds were concentrated, and not much new growth was happening. I was a bit nervous, but also pretty certain it would not be fatal.
I got some worm castings, so I sprinkled some on top of the soil. I then busted out the "easy grow" nutes and watered using half of the lowest recommended dose. I also redid the ties.

pic7.jpg

I took the chopped-off buds inside and trimmed them (just to try it really, they clearly weren't "ripe"). While doing so, I discovered that some weird-looking buds I had noticed were actually seed pods... =o I inspected the plant all over and found 5 seeds total underneath the early flowers. Still not sure what to make of this, it wasn't very many, so I guess it's fine?

pic8.jpg

June 24
Comparison photo, 2 days later. The sprout in the back (center-right of the photo) is the same one from the beginning - today it's actually taller than the main stem! I also noticed the beginnings of some 5-fingered leaves, which makes me feel like everything is on track.

pic9.jpg

And that brings us to now... I feel like she might be outgrowing the pot? Unfortunately we are in the midst of a forecasted week+ of rain. I have been moving her under shelter or inside the porch if there's significant rain/wind, but I worry about the lack of sunlight, as well as mold and pests. I'm thinking of picking up an LED grow bulb and putting it in a lamp or overhead fixture in my porch, just as a bit of supplemental light (in addition to daylight through a big window).

That's all for now, I think. If you got this far, I welcome any advice or corrections of my various assumptions. Thanks for reading!

Hi! I'm making this thread to document my first growing experience. Around 3 weeks ago I was unexpectedly offered a clone from a local outdoor grower, by someone without much other information about it - so I assume it's suited to the local climate, but that's all I know for now. I have little to no gardening experience, but I got attached and I really want to keep her alive! So with that in mind, I thought it would be wise to get some more eyes on her.

I'm in Atlantic Canada, which means this grow is legal, but the weather can be rocky (there were still overnight frosts at the end of May, and we can get some very strong storms in late summer/early fall). I don't have a lot of funds or space, so I wanted to take a relatively laid-back approach to this one, but obviously without being neglectful. I plan to keep her potted, but leave her outside as much as the weather allows.

June 7
I received the clone in a small plastic pot. Beautiful dark leaves, a bit dry and damaged in places, I'm guessing from transportation/storage. Also, flowers! I wasn't sure why or what to do about it, it's very early, but I researched and came to the conclusion that with enough light, they should reveg on their own time. So I decided to basically ignore that part for the time being and let the sun do its thing.

pic1.jpg

June 8
I felt like I should get her into a better container ASAP, so after some research I went and picked up what I could get at my local Canadian Tire: a 2.5-litre-ish "eco pot" (recycled/biodegradable materials, seemed like the most breathable option available); this potting soil (promix was sold out, and the only other option was miracle gro); and a few basic tools. I also grabbed this nutrient mix, because I felt like it was a good idea to have something nutritious on hand.

pic2.jpg

When I pulled away the lining, I saw roots poking out everywhere! I chose not to disturb the existing soil, and basically buried the whole clump, then watered thoroughly.

pic3.jpg

The first proper picture I have. (There's a cast where I accidentally broke a branch, I took it off the next day though as it was clearly lifeless.)

In hindsight, I should have bought some perlite separately and mixed it with the soil, as the mix contained a much lower concentration of it than I expected. I tried not to pack it too tightly, but it was still pretty dense. But since I was planning on up-potting soonish anyway, I didn't feel like it was worth it to replace all the soil again unless I saw signs of struggle.

June 10
Just a cute little sprout I started tracking the progress of. (I've since read that you should avoid encouraging ones from too low on the stem... oh well)

pic4.jpg

June 13
Day 5 without watering. I'd been reading Emilya's guides on watering and I appreciate her slow and relaxed approach, so I'm trying my best to chill out and listen to the plant rather than my own expectations. And honestly, the soil just didn't feel dry yet. (perhaps because of the aforementioned density? lol) By this time though, I could see it pulling away from the edges of the pot, and I thought I noticed the leaves drooping slightly.

pic5.jpg

June 15
I finally watered! I also tied down the branches as an attempt to let more light in.

pic6.jpg

June 22
Exciting day =p I had been watching the leaf growth, which consisted mostly of weird 1- or 3-fingered leaves popping up everywhere, and felt pretty good about its progress. So I decided to snip off a few inches from the top, where most of the buds were concentrated, and not much new growth was happening. I was a bit nervous, but also pretty certain it would not be fatal.
I got some worm castings, so I sprinkled some on top of the soil. I then busted out the "easy grow" nutes and watered using half of the lowest recommended dose. I also redid the ties.

pic7.jpg

I took the chopped-off buds inside and trimmed them (just to try it really, they clearly weren't "ripe"). While doing so, I discovered that some weird-looking buds I had noticed were actually seed pods... =o I inspected the plant all over and found 5 seeds total underneath the early flowers. Still not sure what to make of this, it wasn't very many, so I guess it's fine?

pic8.jpg

June 24
Comparison photo, 2 days later. The sprout in the back (center-right of the photo) is the same one from the beginning - today it's actually taller than the main stem! I also noticed the beginnings of some 5-fingered leaves, which makes me feel like everything is on track.

pic9.jpg

And that brings us to now... I feel like she might be outgrowing the pot? Unfortunately we are in the midst of a forecasted week+ of rain. I have been moving her under shelter or inside the porch if there's significant rain/wind, but I worry about the lack of sunlight, as well as mold and pests. I'm thinking of picking up an LED grow bulb and putting it in a lamp or overhead fixture in my porch, just as a bit of supplemental light (in addition to daylight through a big window).

That's all for now, I think. If you got this far, I welcome any advice or corrections of my various assumptions. Thanks for reading!
Great start my friend, Welcome to 420Magazine :welcome::bravo:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

June 7

pic1.jpg

June 8

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

June 10

pic4.jpg

June 13

pic5.jpg

June 15

pic6.jpg

June 22

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

June 24

pic9.jpg

welcome to 420,We have a giveaway , if you are interested, please join us, the event is coming to an end

Mars Hydro Father's Day Giveaway - Looking For A Tester For Smart FC-3000 :circle-of-love:

Thanks all for the welcome! 😊

Welcome catkins! I'm a Skosh south in Mass growing outside this summer, rainy as it is. I'm a little confused with you getting seeds this soon. Sounds like an auto plant almost done?
Yeah, it's weird right? But as far as I can tell, besides some weird-shaped leaves, veg growth is nearly "normal" now; the buds are no longer developing, and new leaves and shoots (including the little preflowers with the hairs) are popping up all over. Would that be possible for an auto...? My best guess on the early flowers was that the clone was stored in the dark for too long, but I am uncertain exactly what leads to the seed formation. Hard to find anyone else in this situation - another reason I thought I should make my own thread, haha!

Thanks all for the welcome! 😊

Yeah, it's weird right? But as far as I can tell, besides some weird-shaped leaves, veg growth is nearly "normal" now; the buds are no longer developing, and new leaves and shoots (including the little preflowers with the hairs) are popping up all over. Would that be possible for an auto...? My best guess on the early flowers was that the clone was stored in the dark for too long, but I am uncertain exactly what leads to the seed formation. Hard to find anyone else in this situation - another reason I thought I should make my own thread, haha!
Maybe an auto. Maybe revegging now and will flower again through the season. Three leaves for a while when they do that.

Thank you! Interesting... I should actually be able to find out more about it soon. But for now, I guess we wait and see. (I certainly hope it flowers again, I wasn't planning on going through this effort just for some leaves. hahaha)

June 29, I noticed roots coming through the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot 😅 So I repotted that evening. I don't think I needed to panic though - the roots were 'pooling' somewhat at the bottom, but the sides were not grown over yet. Made a better mix this time, around half and half soil and perlite, plus a helping of worm castings.

pic10.jpg

Today, I finally got a chance to tie the branches back down properly, and gave her another little haircut, hopefully the last trim I feel the need to do. The few remaining bud sites atop the main stem had not pushed out any leaves at all while the rest was growing vigorously, and I kinda felt like they would just be magnets for bugs/mold, so I took them off. Looking at the pared-down stalk made me feel like I was too harsh, but I know they're hardy...

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic13.jpg

Oh, and the stalk has thickened up quite noticeably. Cool!

Been thinking about pests a lot... I squished a couple of aphids on her this morning, but only a couple. Also, I have a tomato plant which I think is suffering from thrip damage; I've only seen one of the little guys, but I noticed the odd silvery leaves and the poops. I cleaned it up as best I could and sprayed both plants (separated!) with a neem oil solution. Hoping I can keep things under control without drastic measures, because I don't want to hurt any beneficial insects - I know that even neem can harm some of them. I have a pretty sizable population of bugs in and around my home which I generally try to live in harmony with. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe look into introducing predator insects if necessary.

Haven't seen the sun for a whole week. Neither of us are happy about this! She's still growing, but a bit slower I'd say.

pic14.jpg

I wanted to give some nutes, but I feel like I still can't water because everything has been so humid for so long ;_; Hopefully things will get a chance to dry out within the next few days.

pic15.jpg

I noticed some brown/faint yellowish spotting, as well as some shrivelling and discolouration around the edges of a few lower leaves. I was thinking at first that something was nibbling them, but after looking around online, to me it almost looks like it could be signs of a phosphorus deficiency? Especially when I read that could be caused by excessive rainfall or temperature swings. But I'm far from certain, so any opinions are appreciated. Could still be gnats or something as well, I know they like damp soil so I might just not be seeing them. For the record, my tap water is right about 6.5 pH, so I don't think pH is an issue. (And I'm pretty sure most of the lighter, shiny spotting you might see is just residue from the neem oil solution that I sprayed earlier.)

A week of shaded sun might give her a bad hair day. I wonder what a few days of better weather brings to new growth?
Good point :)

How is it going @catkins

I was wondering how often do you water?
Do you let them dry out a little?

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..
Yep, that's what I'm trying to do - all my waterings have been several days apart. Waiting until the pot feels lighter, sometimes poking in a wooden skewer to check the soil down to the bottom, but currently it's still coming out all damp. The last time I purposely watered was when I repotted a full week ago.

Combined with the rain and humidity, I'm wondering if maybe the recycled fibre pot is also not as breathable as I assumed. Was thinking of poking some holes in the sides of it to let in more air, haha. Fabric pots have been difficult to find for a reasonable price where I am, but I just ordered a 3-gal one which I'm hoping to move to next. (Really, I'm lucky I have very few plants to agonize over. I know the weather has been pretty devastating to nearby farms. Those poor strawberries...)

You're not wrong! It's mainly me going back and forth about whether or not to worry about the rain every day :) I've been moving her indoors if it's really coming down, or if it's overnight rain, however, during the days I want to balance that with getting enough light, because I really don't have a good indoor setup at the moment as far as lighting, ventilation etc. So it's just been a bit weird. If this were to happen again, I think I would consider making a little outdoor shelter or something.

Looking much happier already! I think I will rearrange the ties again soon, now that more branches are taking shape from the middle. And probably water tomorrow.

pic16.jpg

I would like a word with whatever has been sampling my leaves, but hey, at least I have some allies. Watching this guy chow down was pretty neat, ahaha

pic17.jpg

pic18.jpg

Okay, not cool!! It was just a couple of smaller ones yesterday, but something chewed up a big leaf overnight! I don't know what's doing this o_O Possibly earwigs? It's so oddly localized to individual leaves, and I've seen spots that look like they could be droppings, but no slime or anything that appeared alive, even with a loupe. Hmmm... I'll spray neem again and check things out tonight after it gets dark, I guess.

Well, I confirmed it was earwigs on Saturday night - didn't seem to be an infestation, just one or two really hungry little dudes. I ended up killing one and feeling really bad about it so I'm just hoping they don't come back LOL and so far so good on that. Added extra perlite on top to hopefully dissuade them from hiding in the soil.

Aside from the nibbles and some spotty lower leaves (I don't think the discolouration has progressed in the last few days, so hopefully just from the weather?) I think she's filling in nicely! And I'm getting the hang of tying down the branches for an even(ish) canopy.

pic19.jpg

pic20.jpg

The roots have made another appearance. I'm not actually sure if that's something particularly significant, but combined with how wide she's getting, it does make me feel like it's time for a larger pot again.

pic21.jpg

Back
Top Bottom