Cooking with The Chronic

I always decarb first at 240F for an hour. That way I don’t have to worry about decarbing it after extraction.

That is great to know, thanks. Do you think 212F is hot enough for extraction?

I have been reading this thread for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed it and all the awesome recipes and ideas.

Once I have my first harvest I will definitely be making some infused olive oil but I have been thinking about an idiot proof system I would like to use and I wonder if you people think it would work. I see that most people do their decarb by heating their oil and weed to around the 230° range but I see that as a kind of system that takes a bit of fussing and there is the danger of overheating the oil so I was wondering if the following system would work.

What if I were to decarb my weed in the oven at around 230°F for an hour or so to decarb it and then to extract use a double boiler system by putting a jar with the weed and oil into a pot of boiling water so that the oil and weed would be heated to 212°F. If I did it for a couple hours at this temperature would that be warm enough to extract the THC and other chemicals?

I know it’s putting an extra step in but I do have a very accurate oven I use for other purposes so this way I wouldn’t have to worry about my temps or monitoring things. Anybody see any problems with this system?
That's how I normally make my oil. I've been experimenting a bit lately with decarb during infusion, but I'm returning to the oven decarb with my next batch.

Pretty sure @newty and @InTheShed oven decarb as well.

I personally think it makes the best tasting oil. Normally, I'll run it in the oven for an hour or 2 at 220°-225°, then put in a Mason jar with oil and continue cooking in a water bath, in my crock pot @ 180° for another 6-8 hours.

Ol' reliable.... and I still find it makes the best oil for edibles.
:thumb:

That's how I normally make my oil. I've been experimenting a bit lately with decarb during infusion, but I'm returning to the oven decarb with my next batch.

Pretty sure @newty and @InTheShed oven decarb as well.

I personally think it makes the best tasting oil. Normally, I'll run it in the oven for an hour or 2 at 220°-225°, then put in a Mason jar with oil and continue cooking in a water bath, in my crock pot @ 180° for another 6-8 hours.

Ol' reliable.... and I still find it makes the best oil for edibles.

Thank you so much Preston. That post was exactly the info I was hoping for!!! :thumb::bravo::welldone:

Thank you so much Preston. That post was exactly the info I was hoping for!!! :thumb::bravo::welldone:
Just stir it in the jar every hour or so during the infusion. It'll be good to go.

Hope you get some awesome meds!
:passitleft:

Just stir it in the jar every hour or so during the infusion. It'll be good to go.

Hope you get some awesome meds!

I will definitely be stirring every hour or so then! Thanks again.

Har! I'm so obsessive about my oil that when I run it in the oven I have a timer on my phone for every 20 minutes o_O. That's about what the MB machine does I think. I'm John Henry!
I'm a wee bit lazy! LoL
:ganjamon:

Good morning NS and everyone!
I've been busy with holiday baking for family and friends, but have to keep reminding myself not to use any infused oils or butters. :eek: That would be a bad thing for most of them... or would it?

Did a little tinkering in the kitchen yesterday. Made a 1/2 cup batch of oil from Pineapple Express. I used all the popcorn and a few buds to total 14g.
20181220_092230.jpg

Did an oven decarb @ 240° for 90 min, then sealed up in a Mason jar with oil.

I used the Turkey bag this time to decarb, making sure to only open it & handle buds out at my workbench in the garage. No smell at all in the house!

Jar was placed in a crock-pot water bath for 4 hours @ 180°. I shook the jar every 30 min to stir.
20181220_092536.jpg

Instead of wringing out the filter when I strained it, I just let it slowly drip.

This batch tastes much better!

I made a small batch of gummies that are great. I'll do another run soon when I get a break from the kids.

Happy Holidays y'all!

Happy Holidays y'all!
What kind of effect are you looking for in your oil? I'm always concerned that a long decarb will convert the THC into CBN and just make me sleepy... but that might be a good thing for many people.

What kind of effect are you looking for in your oil? I'm always concerned that a long decarb will convert the THC into CBN and just make me sleepy... but that might be a good thing for many people.
I use them mostly at night for sleep meds. Normally, I do a 1-2 hour decarb with bigger quantity of plant material, but shot right in the middle with this batch. Effect is perfect for my liking. Small batches have so many inconsistencies with temperatures, I always shoot a bit high to ensure a good decarb & infusion. Big batches in the MB2 are wayyyyy easier to control perfectly.

My next big batch will probably be when I chop my "big 3".

Happy Holidays y'all

I did try a batch of olive oil that used an indica stain that was double decarbed. For insomnia, I take a half full dropper before bed and I sleep through the night really well.

Freeze the mash and add it to the next batch. I'll be you left a lot of goodness in that filter. Waste not want not as my mother used to say!
I wrang it out into a separate container before tossing it in the mash bag. It was surprisingly well drained. I probably pulled another 2 Tbsp by squeezing it.
I added it to the oil I use for my personal edibles. It is a dark black mix of EVOO & Coconut oil that has already been infused twice. It's about as dark as my sense of humor.
:rofl:
It has a much stronger plant flavor. I like it better in savory recipes.

Phewf...nothing wasted!
I try to use it all.

I share my gummies, probably more than I eat myself. Anyhow, most of my buddies prefer the "cleaner" taste. So I whip up that oil separately.

My dark oil is almost like a science experiment at this point to see what happens if I keep infusing it with fresh herb multiple times.
:ganjamon:

Good morning NS and everyone!
I've been busy with holiday baking for family and friends, but have to keep reminding myself not to use any infused oils or butters. :eek: That would be a bad thing for most of them... or would it?

Oh damn that reminds me i kinda promissed to bake some stuff, not infused... somehow it doenst seem to have my interest lol!

Did a little tinkering in the kitchen yesterday. Made a 1/2 cup batch of oil from Pineapple Express. I used all the popcorn and a few buds to total 14g.
20181220_092230.jpg

I used the Turkey bag this time to decarb, making sure to only open it & handle buds out at my workbench in the garage. No smell at all in the house!

Jar was placed in a crock-pot water bath for 4 hours @ 180°. I shook the jar every 30 min to stir.
20181220_092536.jpg

Instead of wringing out the filter when I strained it, I just let it slowly drip.

This batch tastes much better!

I made a small batch of gummies that are great. I'll do another run soon when I get a break from the kids.

Happy Holidays y'all!

Lovely:bravo::high-five:

Back
Top Bottom