Cannabis Dosing: Delivery Methods & Dosing Guidelines

Hi all .... does anyone have experience with ingesting raw cannabis to share? Either fresh sugar leaves or the flowers?

Ive been doing this for a while. The baby leaves taste quite good. The buds not so much because of the terpines can be strong on the tongue.
Toasted bud is much smoother.

I like to munch on a chunk the size of a pea. I guess that's the calyx which break off quite easily one by one.

Seems to work just as well as a cannabis extract or edible. Im starting to wonder if its worth the hassle of processing.

Crumbled bud, put through a course strainer, is easily spooned on or in to anything. Cereal, salad, soup, coffee, pasta, whatever.

Easy to go through 1 or 2 grams of dried bud in a day.

Hi all .... does anyone have experience with ingesting raw cannabis to share? Either fresh sugar leaves or the flowers?

Ive been doing this for a while. The baby leaves taste quite good. The buds not so much because of the terpines can be strong on the tongue.

I like to munch on a chunk the size of a pea. I guess that's the calyx which break off quite easily one by one.

Seems to work just as well as a cannabis extract or edible. Im starting to wonder if its worth the hassle of processing.

Crumbled bud, put through a course strainer, is easily spooned on or in to anything. Cereal, salad, soup, coffee, pasta, whatever.

Won't it be nice when we have testing data to drive our theories Oldbear? I suspect the same thing, and the field of cannabinoid therapies is beginning to prove us right. It's not to that point yet but the rumble of excitement over the acid cannabinoids is interesting. At this stage, if you were treating cancer the smart move is CCO. If you're treating something less serious and life-threatening, but debilitating nonetheless an infused oil to meet your particular needs seems an intelligent choice. For just about anything else you're smarter to think of cannabis as a food, not a medicine. In fact, it's my personal opinion that we need to train ourselves to stop calling it a medicine and start referring to cannabis as a basic nutrient.

Where else will you find this range of cannabinoids and terpenes?

I eat the tops of my plants, I've blended the leaves into breakfast drinks, and I've appreciated baked buds many times. In a pinch, a decarbed bud is a splendid way to get cannabinoids into the body. I have yet to eat a fresh bud, and I don't recall ever eating a cured one. Now you have me curious. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm already flying higher than expected on my morning capsule, so those experiments will have to wait.

Reposted from the Biobomb thread.
I also use capsules with infused oils as suppositories to keep my digestive system functioning properly. I recently had a 10-day run of antibiotics. I've never had a digestive reaction to antibiotics in 63 years, but this one made up for it in ferocity. When I realized I was just shy of C-diff I reached for the capsules made with Carnival that I used recreationally. It stopped the diarrhea in its tracks. Within three days my gut settled down completely. Now I make sure to use one every week.

I take a good dose of probiotics as well, and my gut health has never been better at a time of life when others my age have serious concerns.

Suppositories rock as a way to get cannabinoids in.

I was reading about a guy who medicates using capsules filled with decarbed weed that he has ground to a powder, he says it works for him. :blushsmile:

I was thinking about what shortcomings this means you must accept. One thing in its favour—it sounds like it is going to produce a slow release medication. If absorption is compromised for any reason, it follows that valuable weed is being wasted, But then the usual oil extraction process is wasteful of expensive Ever Clear, too.

If taken following a typical meal then there should be sufficient oils present in the stomach. Maybe ½ teaspoonful of liquid lecithin could be added to the meal or administered in a gelatin capsule taken at the same time as the cannabis powder?

Any further ideas? Anything to avoid the need for expensive solvent during oil extraction would be welcome news, so long as there is no compromise in the efficacy of treatment.

Hi VerdantSpires lots of folks here are getting great results extracting the cannabinoids using olive oil and liquid sunflower lecithin.

What I do is crumble up cured flower bits. Put that in a measuring cup then add just enough oil to cover it. Some tin foil on top then bake it.

Perhaps try a wee batch using a couple of grams?

In my case I don't work hard at squeezing the oil out of the bud mixture. Just what drips off while it sits in the strainer. Ill keep the mixture and eat it. Its all edible and nutritious too.

I am trying an experiment to cover those times when I run out of brownies, but still want to get all the preventative compounds that Cannabis has to offer.

I'm adding 1/8 teaspoon (1/2 g) dried, powdered, not decarbed, leaves to the morning coffee (1 cup), with creamer for the fat, and any other flavorings that strike my fancy. The creamer has both milk solids and coconut oil, among other fat additives. I don't strain it, cause I'm not steeping the leaves, just adding them to the coffee.

I drank a cup about an hour ago, and still feel alert and functional.

My goal is to ingest as much of the healing qualities of my "leftovers" as possible without getting stoned, but to ward off inflammation and joint pain.

This seems the best place to share the journey. :Namaste:

I am trying an experiment to cover those times when I run out of brownies, but still want to get all the preventative compounds that Cannabis has to offer.

I'm adding 1/8 teaspoon (1/2 g) dried, powdered, not decarbed, leaves to the morning coffee (1 cup), with creamer for the fat, and any other flavorings that strike my fancy. The creamer has both milk solids and coconut oil, among other fat additives. I don't strain it, cause I'm not steeping the leaves, just adding them to the coffee.

I drank a cup about an hour ago, and still feel alert and functional.

My goal is to ingest as much of the healing qualities of my "leftovers" as possible without getting stoned, but to ward off inflammation and joint pain.

This seems the best place to share the journey. :Namaste:

Tonight I upped the cannibus in the latte-chai coffee to 1/4 teaspoon powdered leaves. I had to add some chocolate and sweetener to cover the cannabis taste. I think the coffee is going to evolve into hot chocolate with coffee in it!

But I feel that drinking the leaves this way is the right path to follow. Trying to build up the good stuff in my body and reduce the joint inflammation. Not to mention the other preventative benefits!

The first 1/8 tsp dose did help the knee pain. Now I'm seeing how far I have to go to hit the sweet spot.

WOW! considering how much pain I was in yesterday, not being able to walk at all, after the 1/4 teaspoon dose of leaf powder in my evening coffee-chocolate-latte, I am 50% better this morning!

I just had another cup of the same dosage to boost the OTCs for the day. I'm using real dark chocolate bits (used for cooking) as my method to lessen the grassy taste of the leaves. Since I haven't eaten yet, I'm just barely feeling the effects. I may have hit the sweet spot. But I'll know better tonight when I up the dose to 3/8 teaspoon.

Between the chocolate and the creamer, there are a lot of natural plant fats in the brew, and I think that is enough (without decarbing) to get the pain relief. (Not to mention a steady ingestion of healing compunds).

WOW! considering how much pain I was in yesterday, not being able to walk at all, after the 1/4 teaspoon dose of leaf powder in my evening coffee-chocolate-latte, I am 50% better this morning!

I just had another cup of the same dosage to boost the OTCs for the day. I'm using real dark chocolate bits (used for cooking) as my method to lessen the grassy taste of the leaves. Since I haven't eaten yet, I'm just barely feeling the effects. I may have hit the sweet spot. But I'll know better tonight when I up the dose to 3/8 teaspoon.

Between the chocolate and the creamer, there are a lot of natural plant fats in the brew, and I think that is enough (without decarbing) to get the pain relief. (Not to mention a steady ingestion of healing compunds).

Well girl, that only took you two days to find significant relief. :high-five: I hear surprise in your words. Cannabis never ceases to surprise me.

So.... You're dosing yourself with undecarbed leaf powder. No buds in this? I have some leaves I've allowed to dry naturally, kinda my canna compost heap. Lol! I'm tempted to play with this idea myself as a way to introduce more cannabinoids in a wider variety. I don't have any joint pain, thank goodness, though the knees get stiff when I've been sitting cross legged too long.

Have you tried mixing it with V-8?

Well girl, that only took you two days to find significant relief. :high-five: I hear surprise in your words. Cannabis never ceases to surprise me.

So.... You're dosing yourself with undecarbed leaf powder. No buds in this? I have some leaves I've allowed to dry naturally, kinda my canna compost heap. Lol! I'm tempted to play with this idea myself as a way to introduce more cannabinoids in a wider variety. I don't have any joint pain, thank goodness, though the knees get stiff when I've been sitting cross legged too long.

Have you tried mixing it with V-8?

I'm not mixing it with buds at all. Just dried and ground leaves.

I chose the hot coffee because I can get the chocolate bits to melt, adding its fats to the mix.

If I use V8, what will I use to add the required fat? Or, do I use it as a chaser when I take my capsules?

I'm not mixing it with buds at all. Just dried and ground leaves.

I chose the hot coffee because I can get the chocolate bits to melt, adding its fats to the mix.

If I use V8, what will I use to add the required fat? Or, do I use it as a chaser when I take my capsules?

Not really sure AKgramma. Thinking about it KR was referring to adding his canna juice to the V8 to make it palatable. I think what you do works. I'd stay the course. Are you using dark chocolate to milk chocolate? Just curious. I love chocolate in all its expressions. :battingeyelashes:

Not really sure AKgramma. Thinking about it KR was referring to adding his canna juice to the V8 to make it palatable. I think what you do works. I'd stay the course. Are you using dark chocolate to milk chocolate? Just curious. I love chocolate in all its expressions. :battingeyelashes:

I am using real dark chocolate that is at least 62% cocoa. I could use unsweetened and just add more Stevia and coffee creamer. Some of the powder floats on the top, because I'm not steeping it long enough for full absorption. The first few sips will down the floaters, then the rest of the drink tastes pretty good.

With all the additives, the cannabis taste is subtle. One just has to experiment with flavorings you enjoy. And you quickly get used to the subtle taste of cannabis hiding in all the creamer and chocolate.

Sometimes I drink it with a snack: a bite of food, a sip of coffee, like a real "meal". Anything you do to get the dosage in you, will help, esp if you take it regularly, so it builds up in your body. Like some other medicines, a build up prevents the ups and downs of severe pain.

In addition to pain relief, I'm looking for preventative measures against other Senior Citizen conditions.

After reading how one user tucks a bit of decarbed weed under his tongue as medication for pain, I wondered might this work well for most needs? What oil content isn't extracted sublingually will have a second chance once the weed is eventually swallowed.

There may be ways to improve the efficiency, perhaps by presoaking the weed in glycerin, or something? It may be feasible to incorporate coarsely ground decarbed weed into a sugarless lollypop or gummy to be held under the tongue and if the taste can be masked I'm sure this would be welcomed by many, especially children who detest the taste of cannabis oil.

What are others thoughts on the practicalities of holding weed under the tongue to avoid the separate cannabis oil extraction procedure?

After reading how one user tucks a bit of decarbed weed under his tongue as medication for pain, I wondered might this work well for most needs? What oil content isn't extracted sublingually will have a second chance once the weed is eventually swallowed.

There may be ways to improve the efficiency, perhaps by presoaking the weed in glycerin, or something? It may be feasible to incorporate coarsely ground decarbed weed into a sugarless lollypop or gummy, and if the taste can be masked I'm sure this would be welcomed by many, especially children who detest the taste of cannabis oil.

What are others thoughts on the practicalities of holding weed under the tongue to avoid the separate cannabis oil extraction procedure?

I hadn't considered this until now VerdantSpires. Oldbear and AKgramma are both experimenting with using raw cannabis ingestions, with good effect I might add. Maybe they'll chime in. Baked buds are a good snack for those who need decarbed medicines. It's an acquired taste, but very doable with a favorite drink nearby to wash it all down.

The advantage of an oil is the ability to make the meds more bioavailable with the mix of cannabinoids, carrier oil, and lecithin. Oils can be made to minimize decarb if one desires the inclusion of acid cannabinoids in the regimen.

There may be ways to improve the efficiency, perhaps by presoaking the weed in glycerin, or something? It may be feasible to incorporate coarsely ground decarbed weed into a sugarless lollypop or gummy to be held under the tongue and if the taste can be masked I'm sure this would be welcomed by many, especially children who detest the taste of cannabis oil.

Hi VS several comments on your post...

I like to toast the plant material because it changes the taste. I quite like the nutty flavour.

Course or fine ground doesn't seem to make a difference in bioavailability but course is better.

Dry toasted bud under the tongue or behind your lip or in your cheek all work well.

Dry toasted bud in capsules works well.

My favorite by mouth method is to use a small spoonful of what I call bud mash. Its the remains of an olive ol and lsl extraction. I let it gravity drain but dont try to squeeze or compress it to get more oil out of the mix. So its wet with the oils, primed for bioavailability and nutrition, and easy to take. I chew it and swish it all around to get the most skin surfaces covered.

But again dry decarbed bud works well, Ill often take a pea size piece and chew it up.

Hi VS several comments on your post...

I like to toast the plant material because it changes the taste. I quite like the nutty flavour.

Course or fine ground doesn't seem to make a difference in bioavailability but course is better.

Dry toasted bud under the tongue or behind your lip or in your cheek all work well.

Dry toasted bud in capsules works well.

My favorite by mouth method is to use a small spoonful of what I call bud mash. Its the remains of an olive ol and lsl extraction. I let it gravity drain but dont try to squeeze or compress it to get more oil out of the mix. So its wet with the oils, primed for bioavailability and nutrition, and easy to take. I chew it and swish it all around to get the most skin surfaces covered.

But again dry decarbed bud works well, Ill often take a pea size piece and chew it up.

Next time I make oil I'll do this. I thought about it with the last batch, but then forgot and squeezed it tight. How long does it keep? I'm assuming refrigerated, so it'd be a cool treat. Have you thought to add a sprinkle of stevia for a sweet treat? I'll try it next batch and let you know how it goes. :battingeyelashes:

How much do you typically take in a single dose of the mash?

For me - being on a constant low dose treatment program - a 1/4 teaspoon is sufficient. This is on top of the oil itself.

Sue I make tiny batches - 2 to 4 grams at a time. That will keep no problem for 2+ weeks. Ive never had one go bad before its gone so I dont have a max timeframe to recommend.

Next batch Im going to leave everything in the fridge (all the oils plus the plant material) in a jar for a couple of weeks to see if that changes anything. Im going to jar it hot so it should vacuum seal itself. Just like Grandma's canned tomatoes :)

For me - being on a constant low dose treatment program - a 1/4 teaspoon is sufficient. This is on top of the oil itself.

Sue I make tiny batches - 2 to 4 grams at a time. That will keep no problem for 2+ weeks. Ive never had one go bad before its gone so I dont have a max timeframe to recommend.

Next batch Im going to leave everything in the fridge (all the oils plus the plant material) in a jar for a couple of weeks to see if that changes anything. Im going to jar it hot so it should vacuum seal itself. Just like Grandma's canned tomatoes :)

Your small batches... how much oil do you use per gram? I think letting it sit will potentiate it. I'd recommend bringing it to room temperature a couple times during that period and then back into the fridge. This helps the lecithin break the components down finer and finer.

Back
Top Bottom