How to dry really dense buds?

sunnyside58

Aloha All,
I have a question and hope not a problem. My plants (2) are almost ready to harvest but the buds are so dense that I feel it will take a very long time to dry in my closet (4'x8') with a fan. When I say dense I mean the main buds are as hard as a tennis ball. How do I dry something like that? I live in Hawaii, it is still very warm and sunny (84 high 78 low) humidity average 50-60 percent. I am so afraid of a mold problem.
Help Me Please. Anyone? Also my plants are about 5 ft tall and 3/4 of the plants have the dense tennis ball buds that are 4 inches long. Each plant will yield about a pound, one branch weighs 4 ounces right now. To a newbie like me, I am scared of ruining such nice plants. They are outdoor grown in soil and the strain is Sativa/Incia, the name is Big Bud and I bought the seeds from Amsterdam.
Mahalo for any advice

I'm nowhere near harvest with my first grow. And, I've never harvested before. So, since we are on this topic. If I end up with really thick buds, is there anything wrong with snipping all the buds off the main stem while trimming? So basically there would just be tons of little popcorn kernels. I plan to dry whatever I get in a hanging net.

Aloha All,
I have a question and hope not a problem. My plants (2) are almost ready to harvest but the buds are so dense that I feel it will take a very long time to dry in my closet (4'x8') with a fan. When I say dense I mean the main buds are as hard as a tennis ball. How do I dry something like that? I live in Hawaii, it is still very warm and sunny (84 high 78 low) humidity average 50-60 percent. I am so afraid of a mold problem.
Help Me Please. Anyone? Also my plants are about 5 ft tall and 3/4 of the plants have the dense tennis ball buds that are 4 inches long. Each plant will yield about a pound, one branch weighs 4 ounces right now. To a newbie like me, I am scared of ruining such nice plants. They are outdoor grown in soil and the strain is Sativa/Incia, the name is Big Bud and I bought the seeds from Amsterdam.
Mahalo for any advice

Well ventilated, dark area. Dont blow air directly onto the buds or the outside will dry and the inside will remain wet.

Keep it in a well ventilated environment with plenty of air circulation and you should be fine. You could always break up your buds, but obviously that sucks because we all love big buds.

I would just dry in a well maintained environment.

agreed.

Osmosis is what dries the core of a bud and it works at a respectable speed. if it DOES appear that the external bud matter is drying too fast compared to deep core bud, then just stick it in an airtight container for an hour and that will rebalance the equilibrium, before putting it back into normal drying mode.

from what i have gathered on this site somewhere the number 62% is meant to be a great humidity for curing buds, so dont worry too much about that =)

But how do you know your buds are at 62%???

Much Mahalo to all of you that replied to my question on drying dense buds. I did everything everyone said to do and by george I think I got it. lol. I air dried with 2 fans circulating. I clipped the buds off the branches after hanging them. I than put the small ( not too small) buds in a hanging drying net and they dried perfectly. They are now curing in mason jars and and the one plant that I have learned so much from you all has yeilded me 1.4 lbs. When they say "Bib Bud" seeds, they were not kidding. Amsterdam seeds are the bees knees. lol. Thank you all again. P.S. I had no mold what so ever. That was my main concern. I did find a corn borer worm. Never have seen one of those before. But thankfully, only one. Here is some pics before and after. The bowl contains 1 of the 5 bowls of buds before curing.
Misc_Photos_sept_and_oct_2012_040.JPG
Misc_Photos_sept_and_oct_2012_055.JPG
Misc_Photos_sept_and_oct_2012_059.JPG
Blueberry_Aug_2_1.JPG
Misc_Photos_sept_and_oct_2012_050.JPG

Aloha JJBones, when you say "we" do you have a store of some sort? If so, I am interested in knowing what cha got.
You can private reply me and if you have a web-site I would love to check it out. Just wondering.

Thanks JJBones, I checked your shop out and placed an order for some nutrients. Hope I bought the right stuff to use with soil outdoor. Blue Planet 3 pk. From start to finish nutes. Thought I would try and make it simple. I forgot to order those humidity packs that keeps drying at 62%, so I will wait to see what else I want and order them then. Thanks again, you have another customer. I reall like the microscope. I have the pocket one already, but I want the bigger one. Well, I want a lot of things I saw so I will be back to your store. Aloha

Nice! Glad you found your camera and that the mold did not happen. I too am at the imminent stage of harvesting my first grow and have 4 different schedules to monitor, with one outdoor plant being cut any day now (as soon as I get some good advice as to when) and 5 others indoor girls within 10 days of harvest. The others have 6 & 12 weeks left.

Anyway, I was hoping you might bless us with some of the details of your grow - your description of dense buds hooked me, my brother - so please expand on your harvest with a few more details so we can all learn from your experience? I think knowing what the basics of the grow would be great.

Thanks!
:goodjob:

Mahalo JJ Bones,
I am going to wait patiently for my order. I heard only good things about the nutes I ordered and can't wait for the summer season. I may try it on a couple of short sason plants to get a feel. I feel really good about keeping it even simplier that I have in this past summer grow. Thanks again, I am going to get that microscope..lol

Aloha Aardvark and Brother,
Well, considering I live in Hawaii I can grow outdoors all year but the summer months will grow taller and bushier plants. I germinated 2 Big Bud seeds from Buydutch.com and 2 Blueberry seeds from Amsterdamseedco.com. I put them in a mixture of 50% cheap organic soil 25% perlite and 25% worm castings. mixed the soil well, put the germinated seeds which by the way pops in 2 days so have your pots ready. I did the paper towel seeds paper towel sandwhiched between 2 glass plates in a dark closet and used bottled water. Our water is not treated so I could water my plants with the hose. As for nutes, other than the worm castings, nothing glamorous. I used water soluable Rose plant food throught out the whole vegetation period and flowering. This all started in April 17th,2012. I wish I started in March, would have had a bigger harvest but it was good anyway. lol. I put the seeds right into 5 gallon buckets that were white until I spray painted the black. Hmmm, am I for getting anything? I kept it simple. Miracle gro Rose Plant food every 2-3 weeks, I watered when the buckets were light. Sometimes if it rained it was sometime 2 weeks before I watered them. So only water when the buckets are light. Oh and the last month or so before you think you will harvest, I did use super bloom ( Green Light ) brand. followed their instructions. I flushed the plantes twice in 2 weeks cut them hung them for 3 days with 2 fans one oscillating stand up and 1 vernado on the floor. Used a closet. Manicured them and cut the into ping pong ball size and then put them in 3 grcery brown paper bags with a bunch of shredded brown paper bags kept the fans on them oh cut holes the size of silver dollars in the bags not too low about 12 holes in each bag and 4 days later check for dryness every other day when dryed enough I put them in mason jars and cured them for 2 weeks. Opening the jars a few times a day and take chop sticks and gently move them around to let fresh air into the jars. That my friends is what I did. I might have forgotten a few things but I don't think so. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I kept it simple and cheap and got some really stoney stuff. Blueberry is fruity and heady, Big Buds are sweet and makes watching T.V. fun..lol. Had I started in March with the Big Buds, I thinks I could have yielded more but I'm happy for my first grow. All outdoors. Only 2 things to worry about here in Hawaii, Bugs and people with sticky fingers. lol..Aloha and I am just an e-mail away.

You guys have some fantastic shit over there. I recently got ahold of some Maui Wowie. That stuff is fantastic for a Sativa. I prefere indicas, but that Maui is special. I'd love to get back over to Hawaii and pick up some seeds from some original Maui Wowie. I'm sure somebody is still growing the original over there somewhere.

Mahalo JJ Bones,
I am going to wait patiently for my order. I heard only good things about the nutes I ordered and can't wait for the summer season. I may try it on a couple of short sason plants to get a feel. I feel really good about keeping it even simplier that I have in this past summer grow. Thanks again, I am going to get that microscope..lol

Thanks sunnyside, you should receive it very soon. Hopefully you received my e-mail I sent recently with information about the order?

Back
Top Bottom