First Journal, First Grow In 9 Years With 9 Year Old Bag Seed, Now With Blue Planet Nutrients

bioBilly

I'm a little late getting this journal started. I'm just not that good at multi-tasking, and have been focused on getting everything set up after almost nine years of not being able to grow. When I started I thought I was simply going to buy a tent, put it in a corner of my office and plant some seeds in soil. Well, she who must be obeyed, said no way she wanted that stuff stinking up the house and she didn't want to hear about carbon filters and venting through the preexisting vent to the attic.

So I was banished out to my old grow room in the back of a 1967 Dodge Motor Home. While this space has some advantages, like running water within feet of the grow room, it is a tight space to work in for someone with degenerative joints and neuropathy. Here is what it looked like in one of my grows in this space from April 2012.

lastgrow.jpg

2012growFlower.jpg

So now on to what I'm doing now. I decided this time around I would go with LED lights since heat is a major factor in this space. Currently I have a 500W equivalent in what is the flower room and a 250W equivalent in the veg room which is actually the bathroom. I ended up going with DWC and have four buckets in the flower room, one in the veg room with my first rooted clone. The seeds are from a film canister I have had in my drawer with a mix of unknown origin and genetics. I put fifteen of them between wet paper towels and was surprised when seven of them germinated. I put them in small pots with potting soil because at that point I still thought I was going with soil. Of the seven that popped, one never broke out of the soil, one came up but never broke out of the shell and did not survive my attempt at removing it, one shot up but after a couple of days it flopped over and all of my attempts to revive it failed. That left four that have survived my many attempts at killing them, particularly when I transferred them from soil to the DWC buckets. I didn't take any pictures in the early stages for some unknown reason but this is what one looked like after the transfer, it was taken on January 18 2021.

20210118_0008.jpg

This is what they looked like on February 10 2021

20210210_0001.jpg

I did not start this grow with Blue Planet Nutrients, mainly because my addled old brain was having a hard time remembering the name of the nutrients I was using back in 2012. I came to 420 Magazine looking for clues in December but to no avail, so I bought enough of another brand to get me started. Sure enough after I went broke buying lights, buckets and all, their ads showed up on this site. So after a long wait for my next paycheck to drop I finally was able to place my order. I got my order Saturday of the Two Part BlueMax High Yield System. I used the Two Part back in 2012 and remember getting massive roots in my one hydro bucket. With my current nutrients I'm just not seeing that.

One other issue I have that may be effecting root growth is water quality. I knew the water was hard but didn't realize how hard until I got a TDS meter last month. At 400ppm out of the tap I knew I had to do something. So I broke down and bought a RO system and will be hooking that up later this morning.

One of the four survivors showed female preflowers pretty early on, so I cut four clones and put it in flower mode two weeks ago.

P2202716.JPG

P2142693.JPG

And I left three in the veg room, two of them are showing female and one I'm still not absolutely sure of but leaning toward believing it to be female.

P2252720.JPG

Now that I have my preferred nutrients and one of the clones has a good set of roots, I have decided to go ahead and put the other three plants in the flower room. My main motivation for this is I need some bud since I have been using the money I normally spend at the dispensary for over priced under whelming medication on this project. Since the dispensary a couple of miles down the street opened up for recreational sales they have raised their prices by 110% and turned their backs on the medical patients that have made them very rich. Oh well they're not getting any more of my money.

So now my flower room, which is still a work in progress, looks like this:

P2282732.JPG

And the veg room looks like this, with my one rooted clone.

P2282729.JPG

This first grow, in way to many years, is basically a test run just to workout the bugs and figure out what I need to make this work. I'm still trying to decide if I should put a screen over this grow and how best to do it, or let it go and hope I don't run out of room up top. I'm thinking I'll need another light in the flower room if I put a screen over the grow. Fortunately the four survivors seem to be an Indica strain, and hopefully will not get to tall.

I'll be doing some trimming today to hopefully get more light to the lower part of the plants, and cutting a few more clones from the other ladies before they go to much further into flower.

So that is where I'm at so far. I can't believe that after lurking around this site for so many years, reading and learning so much, I have actually managed to sit down and write a journal. Happy growing everyone.

I'm a little late getting this journal started. I'm just not that good at multi-tasking, and have been focused on getting everything set up after almost nine years of not being able to grow. When I started I thought I was simply going to buy a tent, put it in a corner of my office and plant some seeds in soil. Well, she who must be obeyed, said no way she wanted that stuff stinking up the house and she didn't want to hear about carbon filters and venting through the preexisting vent to the attic.

So I was banished out to my old grow room in the back of a 1967 Dodge Motor Home. While this space has some advantages, like running water within feet of the grow room, it is a tight space to work in for someone with degenerative joints and neuropathy. Here is what it looked like in one of my grows in this space from April 2012.

lastgrow.jpg

2012growFlower.jpg

So now on to what I'm doing now. I decided this time around I would go with LED lights since heat is a major factor in this space. Currently I have a 500W equivalent in what is the flower room and a 250W equivalent in the veg room which is actually the bathroom. I ended up going with DWC and have four buckets in the flower room, one in the veg room with my first rooted clone. The seeds are from a film canister I have had in my drawer with a mix of unknown origin and genetics. I put fifteen of them between wet paper towels and was surprised when seven of them germinated. I put them in small pots with potting soil because at that point I still thought I was going with soil. Of the seven that popped, one never broke out of the soil, one came up but never broke out of the shell and did not survive my attempt at removing it, one shot up but after a couple of days it flopped over and all of my attempts to revive it failed. That left four that have survived my many attempts at killing them, particularly when I transferred them from soil to the DWC buckets. I didn't take any pictures in the early stages for some unknown reason but this is what one looked like after the transfer, it was taken on January 18 2021.

20210118_0008.jpg

This is what they looked like on February 10 2021

20210210_0001.jpg

I did not start this grow with Blue Planet Nutrients, mainly because my addled old brain was having a hard time remembering the name of the nutrients I was using back in 2012. I came to 420 Magazine looking for clues in December but to no avail, so I bought enough of another brand to get me started. Sure enough after I went broke buying lights, buckets and all, their ads showed up on this site. So after a long wait for my next paycheck to drop I finally was able to place my order. I got my order Saturday of the Two Part BlueMax High Yield System. I used the Two Part back in 2012 and remember getting massive roots in my one hydro bucket. With my current nutrients I'm just not seeing that.

One other issue I have that may be effecting root growth is water quality. I knew the water was hard but didn't realize how hard until I got a TDS meter last month. At 400ppm out of the tap I knew I had to do something. So I broke down and bought a RO system and will be hooking that up later this morning.

One of the four survivors showed female preflowers pretty early on, so I cut four clones and put it in flower mode two weeks ago.

P2202716.JPG

P2142693.JPG

And I left three in the veg room, two of them are showing female and one I'm still not absolutely sure of but leaning toward believing it to be female.

P2252720.JPG

Now that I have my preferred nutrients and one of the clones has a good set of roots, I have decided to go ahead and put the other three plants in the flower room. My main motivation for this is I need some bud since I have been using the money I normally spend at the dispensary for over priced under whelming medication on this project. Since the dispensary a couple of miles down the street opened up for recreational sales they have raised their prices by 110% and turned their backs on the medical patients that have made them very rich. Oh well they're not getting any more of my money.

So now my flower room, which is still a work in progress, looks like this:

P2282732.JPG

And the veg room looks like this, with my one rooted clone.

P2282729.JPG

This first grow, in way to many years, is basically a test run just to workout the bugs and figure out what I need to make this work. I'm still trying to decide if I should put a screen over this grow and how best to do it, or let it go and hope I don't run out of room up top. I'm thinking I'll need another light in the flower room if I put a screen over the grow. Fortunately the four survivors seem to be an Indica strain, and hopefully will not get to tall.

I'll be doing some trimming today to hopefully get more light to the lower part of the plants, and cutting a few more clones from the other ladies before they go to much further into flower.

So that is where I'm at so far. I can't believe that after lurking around this site for so many years, reading and learning so much, I have actually managed to sit down and write a journal. Happy growing everyone.
Thats quite an entrance my friend. Beautiful grow you have going. I'll tag along for fun. Happy growing. :welcome: :thumb:

I managed to get the RO System hooked up yesterday. I found all of the fittings I needed in my garage to hook it up to the shower outlet in the bathroom. It's not the prettiest site to be seen, but it works.

P3022738.JPG

There is solid wood beam frame where that hook on the right of the picture is located that I'm going to mount it so it will be out of the way. So now I'm going start filling my jugs and changing out the water in the buckets.

P3022744.JPG

One other issue I may have to resolve sooner than I wanted is getting the AC accessible in the grow room. With daytime temps going up to the mid 80's this weekend, it could easily get into the 90's in this space. Right now it is behind the reflective material.

20210210_0005.jpg

I need to come up with a light trap for the outflow vents that won't overly restrict airflow. I have been looking at building something like this from jojo677.

I'll have to see how it goes. I have AC in the front of the motor home and I my just be able to get away with turning it on and using the fan to blow the air to the back.

P3022736.JPG

It's just cheaper to run the small one in back, and it keeps the space remarkably cold even when it's 115°F outside in the summer.

I managed to get the RO System hooked up yesterday. I found all of the fittings I needed in my garage to hook it up to the shower outlet in the bathroom. It's not the prettiest site to be seen, but it works.

P3022738.JPG

There is solid wood beam frame where that hook on the right of the picture is located that I'm going to mount it so it will be out of the way. So now I'm going start filling my jugs and changing out the water in the buckets.

P3022744.JPG

One other issue I may have to resolve sooner than I wanted is getting the AC accessible in the grow room. With daytime temps going up to the mid 80's this weekend, it could easily get into the 90's in this space. Right now it is behind the reflective material.

20210210_0005.jpg

I need to come up with a light trap for the outflow vents that won't overly restrict airflow. I have been looking at building something like this from jojo677.

I'll have to see how it goes. I have AC in the front of the motor home and I my just be able to get away with turning it on and using the fan to blow the air to the back.

P3022736.JPG

It's just cheaper to run the small one in back, and it keeps the space remarkably cold even when it's 115°F outside in the summer.
Great stuff, do you have an auto shut off on the ro. water?

Great stuff, do you have an auto shut off on the ro. water?
No, I have to manually turn the water on and off. If I get any overflow when I fill my 5 gallon jugs there is a drain in the floor that is out of sight behind the jug in the picture above. The discharge waters a large aloe cactus that I use in a cannabis infused cream I make for my joints.

So far I have changed the water out in the bucket with the clone in it. The RO System is mounted to the wall and out of the way. It has dropped the ppm from 400 down to 24. This clone will interesting to watch because it will be the first with this grow that will go from start to finish with RO water and the Blue Plant Nutrients.

P3042745.JPG

The water level in the bucket is a little high in the picture but has since been lowered. The plant seems to be doing great. It has lost the yellow color it had when I transplanted it and is starting to put out new growth.

It's mother is getting lots of little flowers on it which is a good thing.

P3042746.JPG

Today I'm going to start changing out the water in the other four buckets with the good RO water so they will all be happy campers.

P3042750.JPG

P3022738.JPG

P3022744.JPG

20210210_0005.jpg

P3022736.JPG

....I am way overthinking how to install my RO :D Question: do you think the carpet will be an issue?

....I am way overthinking how to install my RO :D Question: do you think the carpet will be an issue?
So far the carpet hasn't been an issue nor was it when I was growing in this space back in 2012. I do my best to pour any liquids in the shower bottom (veg room) and the flower room has linoleum on the floor. The times when things didn't go as planned and I have had a spill, I use a wet vac to suck up as much of the moisture as I can. So far so good.

After nearly taking myself out changing the water in the buckets with the RO water, I can see that I'm going to have to invest in a small pump so I don't have to lift those water jugs. It was simple when I was using tap water, I just put the hose in the bucket and turn it on. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks before I can make that happen. The plants seem to like the new RO water and the clone is really starting to take off, so it's definitely worth the trouble.

P3072756.JPG
P3072757.JPG
P3072761.JPG

After a crazy week filled with Doctors appointments and getting my second covid shot, I wanted to give an update on the grow. All in all things are going pretty well. I have transplanted the last two rooted clones of the original four cuttings into soil. I feel pretty good after all these years that I managed get three of the four to root. The fourth just withered up and died.

P3122762.JPG

The mother of these three is doing great so far. It's in about the fourth week of flowering and I have starting feeding it the full compliment of Blue Planet High Yield Nutrients. The roots on all of the plants are looking much better also.

P3132783.JPG

P3132772.JPG

P3132775.JPG

Hope to see those buds start to fatten up. The other three in the flower room are just starting to show true flowers, but at different stages. That's the challenge of growing with mixed bag seed, you never really know what your dealing with. Yesterday was water changing day in the flower room which is always a challenge with the plant shuffle. Definitely getting a water pump to make it a little easier.

P3132778.JPG

P3132773.JPG

So today I'm going to see if I can mount the rod that the light in the veg room is on so that it is strait across instead of an angle. The way it is now it is hard to get even light distribution across the space. So happy growing everyone and have a great day.

After a crazy week filled with Doctors appointments and getting my second covid shot, I wanted to give an update on the grow. All in all things are going pretty well. I have transplanted the last two rooted clones of the original four cuttings into soil. I feel pretty good after all these years that I managed get three of the four to root. The fourth just withered up and died.

P3122762.JPG

The mother of these three is doing great so far. It's in about the fourth week of flowering and I have starting feeding it the full compliment of Blue Planet High Yield Nutrients. The roots on all of the plants are looking much better also.

P3132783.JPG

P3132772.JPG

P3132775.JPG

Hope to see those buds start to fatten up. The other three in the flower room are just starting to show true flowers, but at different stages. That's the challenge of growing with mixed bag seed, you never really know what your dealing with. Yesterday was water changing day in the flower room which is always a challenge with the plant shuffle. Definitely getting a water pump to make it a little easier.

P3132778.JPG

P3132773.JPG

So today I'm going to see if I can mount the rod that the light in the veg room is on so that it is strait across instead of an angle. The way it is now it is hard to get even light distribution across the space. So happy growing everyone and have a great day.
Thats great you got your vid vaccine. Garden looks great my friend.

Well things are coming along nicely in the flower room. My mother plant that gave me my first successful clones is starting to show some faint signs of red in the top buds and smelling heavenly.

P3182786.JPG

It's first offspring that I put in DWC is doing great with lots of new growth.

P3182787.JPG

It's two sisters that took much longer to root and some how survived my rescue attempt are doing ok. After weeks in rockwool they looked like they where about to expire so I removed them from the rockwool re-cut the bottom of the stem, dipped them in cloning gel and put them in vermiculite watered with Superthrive. After a few weeks I transplanted them into soil with both showing roots.

P3182789.JPG

P3182791.JPG

They are now showing new growth and will hopefully grow up just like mom.
I have ordered a transfer pump that I hope will make changing the DWC buckets a little easier, and another light for the flower room for complete wall to wall coverage.

That's about it for now, everyone have a great day.

I have added a second light to the flower room which has expanded the light coverage and the light is more evenly distributed over the four plants.

P3212812.JPG

Mother is standing tall above the rest and the buds seem to be getting a red hue to them.

P3212801.JPG

P3202792.JPG

P3202793.JPG

Her three clones are coming along in the veg room, thou I did have a spike in the ph level in the hydro bucket the other day. It was looking a little droopy with white spots on the leaves. I brought the ph down to 5.8 from 6.9 and it's looking much better.

P3212807.JPG
P3212806.JPG

P3212805.JPG

P3202795.JPG

Well I'm feeling good that I have managed after all this time to get four plants to flower from some old bag seeds. I'll have to see how it goes, I'm hoping next month I'll be able to afford some store bought seeds. I would like to grow some good Afghani and bring the bubble bags out of retirement and make some good hashish.

I got the water transfer pump and put it to the test today. I can say for sure, the thing is going to save whats left of my back and lots of time. I was actually surprised at how fast it emptied the bucket. It came with a suction plate that slips over the hose and I ran the outlet to the sink with an old garden hose. I had to put a tray under it when I discovered the old garden hose had a small drip coming from where the hose and connector are joined. Not a big deal but didn't want to get the carpet wet.

P3262835.JPG

With that suction plate on, it gets all but a very small amount out of the buckets.

P3262834.JPG

With the bucket empty it's just a matter of slipping off the suction plate, putting the intake hose in the bottle of RO water and the discharge hose in the bucket.

P3262839.JPG

All of the discharge from the bucket feeds the aloe cactus.

P3262842.JPG

And I just planted some watermelon seeds where the wet spot is. This week I need to hang the green sun screen back over the raised bed garden, it's supposed to hit 91°F/33°C by this time next week so I may need to crank up the AC unit it's covering up.

Back
Top Bottom