Your Automatic Watering Setup In Soil

masoct3

420 Member
Hello,

My first post and I did use the search function...

Could you please post pictures of your automatic watering setup if you are growing in soil? I am starting my grow and wanted to go this route instead of hand-feeding all the time.

Thank you!!

Hello,

My first post and I did use the search function...

Could you please post pictures of your automatic watering setup if you are growing in soil? I am starting my grow and wanted to go this route instead of hand-feeding all the time.

Thank you!!
@Keffka does this. He's got a couple of journals going but maybe he'll pop in.

Welcome to the forum !

Do you have to fill them after a few days? Or how do they work?
I don't use any sort of automatic system but if you want info on the auto pots the easy way to get an introduction to what it is and how it works is to google:
auto pots
and most of the first batch of suggested links will be to a system of using automatic watering pots. That way you get the basics. When you come back here and start reading the many threads the fine points that members bring up will fall into place a lot quicker.

Another system that has been discussed here is called SIP. Same thing, do a google search for:
sip watering system
and that will give several methods. When you come back here the custom methods that members have developed for their own use will make sense.

... wanted to go this route instead of hand-feeding all the time.
I can understand wanting to get away from constantly measuring and mixing fertilizers. I settled on top dressing the soil every 10-14 days and the only near daily chore is checking how moist the soil is. No water tubing, reservoirs, or special fittings needed.

Maybe the easiest would be to use 10 gallons or more of a quality "water only" soil mix per pot and then use an auto-pot or SIP system for watering. That would eliminate having to do any fertilizer measuring or keeping track of each application.

Another system that has been discussed here is called SIP. Same thing, do a google search for:
sip watering system
and that will give several methods. When you come back here the custom methods that members have developed for their own use will make sense.
And then come visit us in #SIPClub

you're gonna need to hand water constantly in a sip. especially when it gets to flower. sip is passive hydro, anything passive requires hands on.

the issue with any feeding /watering system is the maintenance it will require. the physical parts of the system will need to be kept clear of bacteria, reservoirs need constant monitoring and correction for ppm and ph. there is no such thing as set up and walk away.

the other consideration is cost. i know growers who've spent thousands and thousands on systems, all of them spend the same amount or more time than i do maintaining the grow.

you're gonna need to hand water constantly in a sip. especially when it gets to flower.
True, but in a non-organic SIP watering is literally pouring water down the fill tube. So, you still have to be there to do it, but the actual watering time is measured in seconds, much like your Hempy grows.

True, but in a non-organic SIP watering is literally pouring water down the fill tube. So, you still have to be there to do it, but the actual watering time is measured in seconds, much like your Hempy grows.

pretty sure he's hoping for something like simply adding drippers to a regular soil grow which never works well.

a friend of mine uses smart plugs on a res so he can feed when travelling. it's only good for 1 to 2 feeds before it needs to be refilled and checked. it buys enough time he can get away for up to 4 days at a time, but can cause ph trouble if relied on too much.

@masoct3 i'd also check out drain to waste and flood and drain systems. they may be more what you are seeking.

hey @mascot3 it doesn't get much easier than swicks

hey @mascot3 it doesn't get much easier than swicks

Very interesting. Is this similar to the Autopot?

Running 4 plants I usually have to fill my reservoir every4 days once the plants are larger

Ok. I think I am almost sold on them.
How does cleaning out the lines do with that? I am thinking just flush the lines with all the valves closed, just to clean out any salt or what not.

Thank you.

Ok. I think I am almost sold on them.
How does cleaning out the lines do with that? I am thinking just flush the lines with all the valves closed, just to clean out any salt or what not.

Thank you.
The newer ones have larger diameter lines and I've heard are a bit better. I still run the originals with 1/4" lines and I do make a point of keeping an eye on them once I switch to flower nutes as they will clog eventually.
Finding a good nutrient to run and proper mixing procedures help alot

Very interesting. Is this similar to the Autopot?

basically the same bottom watering principal, only mines not automatic right now but can be adapted easily enough with a float valve and reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom