White Mold On Grow Bags

I also have salt & mineral deposits around the drain holes on my hard sided plastic pot. There is both brown and white deposits.

Since this morning I have done similar to what @Melville Hobbes mentions. I grabbed the photo and enlarged it. I still cannot tell whether it is minerals or mold or a combination but there definitely is some fuzzy area about half way down the side of the pot. That area is slightly out of focus because it seems the camera locked in on the area where the soil and top edge of the pot is.

The reason I now believe that mold is involved is because what looks like the upper left corner is covered in white fuzz. While not impossible it is not usual to have mineral & salt deposits show up that far up the side, almost to the soil line.

I did not enlarge this copy but the areas that are really fuzzy looking are circled. Forgot the photo:) but caught it so here it is.
DSC_0003-1.jpeg
Ok I definitely see it now in that upper left circle. Maybe I was just trying to be optimistic, but staying in the realm of optimism at least MedicalMe claims no issues on the plant. And maybe it’ll stay that way =)
The strands on the left side of the pot I thought were fabric strands with the white on those.

fer sure I’d nuke it between runs…

curious are you growing in basement or garage, were these bags stored on concrete slab?
Fer sure I'll nuke. Because you asked: 4'X8' area of 12X16' storage room in the basement. Walls painted hi-gloss white, screened off from the rest of the room with chameleon tarp, high gloss side toward grow area. Concrete floor, but no bags on floor. Temp pretty constant at 70 degrees F. RH 50%. Very little air movement except that provided by the air scrubber. This is one of the great things about 420; you can share with anonymity!

Where I live, I'm legally allowed to grow two "seedlings" (immature plants) and two flowering plants. Unfortunately ;), my timing was off when I planted and now I have two in full flower and two starting to flower.

DSC_0011.jpeg

That is a nice looking grow room. Can you put a floor fan in there to move the air around better? Otherwise you'll get pockets of micro-climates in the room.

Cool deal. Very nice setup indeed!!! It’s great you’ve got your plants elevated above concrete slab - thats fantastic

FYI….. you are going against the principles of HVAC…. to properly scrub I think you need to have extraction fan set high near ceiling to pull warm air and some of scent out of the grow space but if you are concerned about eliminating odor then carbon filter is the ticket.

Ditto LKABudMan - we all run multiple fans not just extraction fan.

I'm in mold central here in Hawaii... looks like fuzzy mold to me. This means spores being released in your grow room... not a good prospect. At the least, I'd say start spraying it down with a hydrogen peroxide solution, i.e. drug store 3% peroxide mixed with water. Repeat as needed, and as preventative. The plants can be sprayed with a solution at the ratio of 12 tbps (6 fl. oz.) peroxide per 1/2 gal water. I'd go higher peroxide concentration spray on the outside of the bags, and on surfaces.

1650757921663.png

I think you need to have extraction fan set high near ceiling
You can't see it in the photo, but the vent hose is attached to an elevated carbon filter: the fan draws air in thru the filter and blows the scrubbed air out into the room. More concerned with any odor leaking from the room into the house than odor escaping outside - I live in the middle of Nowhere. However, I'm thinking of turning the fan around to better circulate the air around the plants. The 4" air scrubber works well most of the time, except when all the plants are in flower! Then I wish I'd gone with a 6" fan.
This means spores being released in your grow room
Correct. Once you've got mold, you've got mold. It's really hard to get rid of because the microscopic spoors freely float around the room looking for a home. Best I can do is discourage them by denying them a growing environment. Although my plants show very little sign of overwatering (just a yellowing tip here and there), I think I'll wait to water until the outside of the bags are "bone dry."

I think I'll wait to water until the outside of the bags are "bone dry."
Is it possible to spray the outside of the bags with a mixture of cider vinegar and water like what some growers use for spraying the leaves to reduce the possibility of mildew?

I've sprayed my bags with undiluted vinegar and it just came back 2-3 weeks later.
By then, I realized it was probably just the mycos and didn't worry about it again.
Promix has beneficial fungi added to the mix. I wouldn't worry about it...
If it really bugs you, water til the bags are drenched and just rub the fungi off.

I wouldn't worry about it...
If it really bugs you, water til the bags are drenched and just rub the fungi off.
Yeah, that's exactly where I'm at; rub it off and don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom