What do you think the purpose of resin is to a Cannabis plant?

Why does a Cannabis plant produce resin? How does it help the plant survive or reproduce?

• The smell attracts pollinators

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • The resin traps attacking insects

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • The resin protects the seeds from rotting

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Deter animals from eating the buds/seeds

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Attract animals to eat the buds and disperse the seeds

• Protect the seeds from UV

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • None of the above

• Total voters
Deer, at least the Whitetail, have gotten the nick-name of "Rats On Stilts" by home-owners, gardeners and deer hunters.

And if it ain't deer it can be squirrels or rabbits. Each has their own way of destroying gardens;).
I've dealt with deer since I was a kid, and hunted for many years.
4 clones were planted outdoors a couple months ago. There are also two in pots on my deck. Three planted ones are gonners because of one Momma whitetail and her fawn in my backyard all the time. I've watched her nibble on them. She will stand up on hind legs and use her nose and front hooves to take down birdfeeders.
I've chased her away from my deck countless times. Grrrr....... 😆

So you're saying it is prophylactic, the smell/cannabinoids are incidental?
Maybe the smell is to attract something that will move the seeds, to help spread them further away from the mother plant. I don't know if larger animals eat cannabis plants after the plant has produce buds and seeds. I know mice and other rodents eat the seeds. but a larger animals would leave seed behind in their droppings, that's how a lot of plants rely on spreading their seeds

Cannabis has evolved faster than it would in nature due to man’s interactions with it (especially the last 50 years) because all we’ve done is try to produce unnatural amounts of trichomes and terpenes for our pleasure.

So to properly address that question, you’d really need to look at wild cannabis.
Personally I think that anything sticky on the plant no matter the smell etc, is to catch little pollen flowers that drop off of male sacs.
It may be just coincidence or localized evolution that the same substance repels certain pests and other herbivores. Much of those qualities come from leaf structure, not just trichomes. The trichomes do protect the plant from UV rays, for sure.
But this lady produces fruit, that’s her job. Buds are merely part of her process. It’s her intention to make fruit (hemp seeds) by catching an assload of pollen.

Back
Top Bottom