What do you think the purpose of resin is to a Cannabis plant?

Why does a Cannabis plant produce resin? How does it help the plant survive or reproduce?

• The smell attracts pollinators

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • The resin traps attacking insects

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • The resin protects the seeds from rotting

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Deter animals from eating the buds/seeds

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Attract animals to eat the buds and disperse the seeds

• Protect the seeds from UV

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • None of the above

• Total voters
I looked at studies done on this subject, and while they all say more research is needed (don't all studies ever say that?) there does seem to be a general consensus forming that blue and UV light increases cannabinoid content. Here's a snippet from one of them.

Cannabis plants grown under blue light with a short photoperiod (12 h light:12 h dark/flowering stage) improved cannabinoid content (Magagnini et al., 2018). This same study suggested that there is a synergy between UV-A and blue wavelengths that induces cannabigerol accumulation in cannabis flowers.
Source

That could easily just be a side effect, so I guess more research is needed. 😆

I looked at studies done on this subject, and while they all say more research is needed (don't all studies ever say that?) there does seem to be a general consensus forming that blue and UV light increases cannabinoid content. Here's a snippet from one of them.

Cannabis plants grown under blue light with a short photoperiod (12 h light:12 h dark/flowering stage) improved cannabinoid content (Magagnini et al., 2018). This same study suggested that there is a synergy between UV-A and blue wavelengths that induces cannabigerol accumulation in cannabis flowers.
Source

That could easily just be a side effect, so I guess more research is needed. 😆
Again I'm not up with all the new science, but I've always been told 2700 K was best for flowering. Some of my best grows were when I used 400 Watt 2700K HPS

I always thought the sticky trichomes we're to catch pollen. maybe I'm behind the times but resin is what we called the brown sticky stuff at the end of a joint or all inside ur pipe
I get that, but the resin comes mostly after pollination/flowers pistils retracting doesn't it?
Why would the calyx produce trichomes on the outside of the seed pod?

Again I'm not up with all the new science, but I've always been told 2700 K was best for flowering. Some of my best grows were when I used 400 Watt 2700K HPS
I've heard the same thing, but no one seems to have numbers.
I'm particularly interested in seeing someone do a two tent grow with clones, same environment, ppfd, and nutrients, just with different spectra.
One more blue/white bias, the other with red/white. If I get the opportunity to set up a second 60x120cm tent, maybe I'll be able to do it myself.

But back to the subject at hand, another study I just found said this.

In indoor cannabis production, the primary goal of exposing flowering plants to UV radiation is to upregulate the production of cannabinoids which are predominantly synthesized in the copious glandular trichomes that are found on and around inflorescence tissues (Potter, 2014) and which have UV-photoprotective properties (Hazekamp et al., 2005).
Source

I haven't looked at the Hazekamp et al. study yet, but it's on my reading list now.

I get that, but the resin comes mostly after pollination/flowers pistils retracting doesn't it?
Why would the calyx produce trichomes on the outside of the seed pod?
Defense against pest, animals, drought & death. It's only goal in life is to get pollinated & make seeds

Defense against pest, animals, drought & death. It's only goal in life is to get pollinated & make seeds
So you're saying it is prophylactic, the smell/cannabinoids are incidental?

.. the sticky nature of the resin deters or stops bugs and animals from munching on the buds/seeds,...
Because the resin is considered to be bitter tasting which helps to deter animals and insects from eating parts of the plant covered with resin.

It's only goal in life is to get pollinated & make seeds
And the plant is one that is pollinated by wind and not insects.

So you're saying it is prophylactic, the smell/cannabinoids are incidental?
I am thinking that the smell, and maybe the cannabinoids, are evolutionary traits that increased the bitterness that deters animals.

I've always pondered the purported idea that things evolved to have [for example] red stripes or feathers, thorns etc
I don't believe that surviving creatures/plants deliberately decided to do what they do, moreover that the ones that incidentally developed the way they did survived, so they are the ones still around today
That is the root of the question - how does resin help?

The problem I have with that hypothesis is that it doesn't work.
Deer and rabbits certainly aren't deterred, and given the number of bugs we have to deal with in flower, they don't seem to be either.
If they are hungry, they will eat anything that's not poison

Deer and rabbits certainly aren't deterred,
The eat the leaves and stems and tend to stay away from the maturing buds.

given the number of bugs we have to deal with in flower, they don't seem to be either.
How many of them are eating the actual buds? From what I have seen the bugs are doing most of their damage on the leaves. The mites also seem to stick with the leaves and only go after the sugar leaves when that is all that is left on the plant that they have not already destroyed.

How many of them are eating the actual buds? From what I have seen the bugs are doing most of their damage on the leaves. The mites also seem to stick with the leaves and only go after the sugar leaves when that is all that is left on the plant that they have not already destroyed.
Yes was just going to post this Thanks @SmokingWings

If they are hungry, they will eat anything that's not poison
I've seen plants where deer had stripped a section of everything, without moving on to the next patch of leaves, but maybe local deer have different tastes.
Goats too.
Caterpillars are, and I've seen grasshoppers in the act as well. I've heard about beetle damage to buds, but haven't seen it happening myself.
Most of the bugs we deal with aside from caterpillars are sap suckers, so it makes sense for them to stay on parts of the plant that are easiest to access.

Danged deer...danged critters in general.
Deer, at least the Whitetail, have gotten the nick-name of "Rats On Stilts" by home-owners, gardeners and deer hunters.

And if it ain't deer it can be squirrels or rabbits. Each has their own way of destroying gardens;).

Back
Top Bottom