Want to dive into coco - Some basics?

I have been fascinated by hydroponics since forever ago. Even with all that interest I continue to grow anything and everything in a natural dirt/mineral soil with plenty of mostly composted organic material or directly in the ground which has been amended with organic materials. My interest in hydro has led to my constantly thinking of some aspects of coco coir.

It might be too hot for seed germination based on comments found on other web sites. And you were right when you mentioned "Also it appears to have some nutrients in it already and shouldn’t last more than a few weeks in theory."

If you already have some seeds planted then continue to think about not using any additional fertilizers until the plant shows signs of the starting of deficiencies. And if the plant shows signs of fertilizer burn quickly figure out a way to transplant into a milder grow medium until it is time to transplant back into the Coco Loco. But a little reading up on Coco Loco might help with ideas, etc.

I figure that most of the time it is that they are treating the Coco Loco like they were growing in a coco coir mix. Coco Loco should not be treated like that. Based on what I have read about the stuff over the last 3 years Coco Loco should be treated more as an organic soil based grow medium.

The way I see it the Coco Loco is designed to hold water for several days. The pH of the water going in should be closer to 6.3 instead of the lower reading recommended for hydro.

Reading the web page and the back of the bag of Coco Loco the primary ingredients are coco coir and aged forest product (compost) at a 50/50 ratio with some Perlite and earthworm castings added. Then some bat guano and kelp meal and added along with something to help the Calcium levels.

Kinda sounds like a typical organic material potting mix but the peat moss has been replaced with coco coir.

Yep for starters. And not add mess around the with the soil mix too much and end up with a 'Franken-soil'. That way if some sort of problem starts then there is a good chance that Fox Farms will be able to help.
I’ve got some germinating. But if it’s as hot as the ocean forest I usually get, it may be fine.

Really I wanted to try coco just to cut down on veg time (I’m quite tired of like 6+ week veg’s) but if the coco loco is basically just soil than that defeats the purpose.

I have 2 cubic feet of it in my garage but on the plus side I have a ton of organic fertilizer.

Maybe I’ll just get some coco on scamazon, the hydro place only had coco loco.

as a new grower you'll have issues with coco loco.
use a regular straight coco until you get your feet under you. fill up a few jars before having to take on weird media types. coco loco is way better for someone who has a few grows and knows how to read the plants.

listen to what @Roy Growin and @Bill284 have to say.
*New to coco 😂

Ok Eff it.

I’m ordering 2 10lb bricks of (allegedly, this is Amazon we’re talking about here) buffered and triple washed coco and some perlite.

I’ll use the coco loco for the next time.

Minor correction I have 4 cu. feet of coco loco (2bags) not 2.

IMG_1089.gif

Really I wanted to try coco just to cut down on veg time (I’m quite tired of like 6+ week veg’s) but if the coco loco is basically just soil than that defeats the purpose.

media choice has little to nothing to do with veg time.

that is a balance between media, total environment, and grower. it's always a sliding scale. you will find the grow style that suits you over time and eventually tailor it.

The vegetating time is more than just the medium the plant is being grown in but I understand what you are talking about with cutting down the time.

As for the Coco Loco, it is not just soil. The whole "what is soil" thing is causing confusion. The Coco Loco is a 50/50 mix of shredded coco coir and Aged Forest Products (a compost) and a few other ingredients. In the world of modern gardening and botany that is enough to call it a "soil" even though there is no mineral dirt in the mix until someone adds dirt, or worm castings like in the case of the Coco Loco. And I have the feeling that there is not all that much worm castings added as it is.

I figure the days of the Holy Trinity of potting soils being 1/3 each of Composted Organic Material, Peat Moss and Perlite is slowly coming to an end. Before long it will be 1/3 coco coir and the use of Peat Moss will be a thing of the past.

Maybe I’ll just get some coco...
I’m ordering 2 10lb bricks of ..... buffered and triple washed coco and some perlite.
Another option that I think you will find interesting the next time around is to try Roots Organic Cocopalms which is a finely ground coco coir that is triple washed, partially composted, and buffered. It comes without Perlite just like a bag of plain ol' Peat Moss does. The stuff looks and feels like Peat Moss. Water retention might not be the same but close enough.

I have been working on making an Aged Forest Products compost mix. Once I eventually figure that out I can add in Cocopalms and Perlite with the hopes that I will have a new Holy Trinity that I like as much as I like the current Peat Moss version.

media choice has little to nothing to do with veg time.

that is a balance between media, total environment, and grower. it's always a sliding scale. you will find the grow style that suits you over time and eventually tailor it.
I figured root resistance + overall efficiency.

It appears coco is the bridge between hydro and soil and the results of hydro growth/time vs soil growth/time seems to vastly differ from all evidence I’ve seen.

I figured root resistance + overall efficiency.

It appears coco is the bridge between hydro and soil and the results of hydro growth/time vs soil growth/time seems to vastly differ from all evidence I’ve seen.
I layer perlite in my coco.
Retains air while creating several perched water tables in the pot.
Then I add Bokashi, Frass and DYNOMYCO to bring my pots to life. @Bill284 Method
It improves growth and reduces veg times.
I find root growth will improve plant growth.
I have pictorials in my threads demonstrating everything if your interested.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I layer perlite in my coco.
Retains air while creating several perched water tables in the pot.
Then I add Bokashi, Frass and DYNOMYCO to bring my pots to life. @Bill284 Method
It improves growth and reduces veg times.
I find root growth will improve plant growth.
I have pictorials in my threads demonstrating everything if your interested.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Link? 🤯

Edit: do you use actual Bokashi compost or the starter/bran mix?

Edit Edit: Do you still mix perlite with your coco and layer or forgo the perlite for water retention?

Link? 🤯

Edit: do you use actual Bokashi compost or the starter/bran mix?

Edit Edit: Do you still mix perlite with your coco and layer or forgo the perlite for water retention?
I mix Bokashi ,Frass , DYNOMYCO and perlite into my bag of coco first.
Then I add extra to each layer.
It’s all in Heaven’s Shore’s.
Every thread actually but Heaven’s Shore’s has the most pictorials.
And every pot imaginable in there.
Shows from solo cup to 200 liter bag.
All layered @Bill284 Method.
Have a look through I’ll answer any questions.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Ok I started germinating on Wednesday, they popped Friday and I planted them….in the coco loco.

I figured I can avoid feeding a few weeks before transplanting into the coco coir.

4 fruity pebbles, 1 sundae driver and 1 purple queen.

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg

I got a part a and b from Amazon (Humboldt secrets?) but also bought some canna a and b from the hydro shop along with some fresh cal mag, my other bottle is like 2-3 years old.
If you plan on plain water at first I'd put a little calmag in the water before feeding. :Namaste:
Loco might have some nutrients but it'll still draw calcium from her.
Unless your rh is below 50 in the room I'd take your domes off aswell.
Babies do well in open air , unlike clones.
Also high rh can make them soft.
Looking good my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

If you plan on plain water at first I'd put a little calmag in the water before feeding. :Namaste:
Loco might have some nutrients but it'll still draw calcium from her.
Unless your rh is below 50 in the room I'd take your domes off aswell.
Babies do well in open air , unlike clones.
Also high rh can make them soft.
Looking good my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
I keep them on until the helmets soften and fall off (this morning for the last 4!)

I pH’ed 1 gallon of water to 6 and I’ll take your advice and add calmag, hopefully it doesn’t drop the pH too much lol. I can correct it though if it does.

I keep them on until the helmets soften and fall off (this morning for the last 4!)

I pH’ed 1 gallon of water to 6 and I’ll take your advice and add calmag, hopefully it doesn’t drop the pH too much lol. I can correct it though if it does.
Always put calmag in your plain water first and mix well.
Set your ph last before feeding. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom