Virginia Growers Unite!

So what strain(s) is everyone growing here in Virginia this season?
Outdoors?
Indoors?

I've got 4 different strains going:
4 Kingdoms – Feminized – Photo - Sativa
Short Nepali – Feminized – Auto - Hybrid
Blueberry Glue – Feminized – Auto - Hybrid
CBD Critical Mass – Feminized – Photo - Indica leaning Hybrid

The two Autos are inside and I JUST transplanted the two Photos from 1-gallon fabric grow pots to large raised beds outside.

How about everyone else?

Got a Strawberry Lemonade photo outside. A Kushy Kush Photo indoors, and a Black Domina Photo getting ready to be planted for a fall harvest. Got a huge garden going on too. Let's Roll!

20240527_122209.jpg

20240527_122115.jpg

20240527_122158.jpg

@RedskinnedRhino - wow - those look amazing!
How big are the two outside Photos now?
Life got in the way, so only the strawberry lemonade is outside. It's around 4ft tall, growing in a 5gal bag. I ignore it most days, but I occasionally stop to show it love. I've decided to stick to winter growing, when life slows down, the bugs are sleeping, and the Temps are low.
Is it too late to start an autoflower for an outside grow?
You're cutting it close AF. You'd have to keep the rain off of it in October and November, or you'd be fighting a ton of mold. You'll have to bring it indoors some nights as well, to keep it from being frost bitten.

Is it too late to start an autoflower for an outside grow?
Really important will be where you are located. I don't grow autos even though I keep thinking about it but I read a lot of the threads about them.

Figure that an autoflower will be in a vegetation stage for 3 to 5 weeks and then go into flower. The flowering stage will be 8 to 10 weeks on average, sometimes longer, so that puts harvest sometime between the middle of October and the first week of November if I did the math right. That is if the auto-flower seed is planted today. Gonna be very tight for a fair portion of the US and probably not possible in most of Canada.

The plants will survive mild frost and even some light snows but the cold temperatures can really slow down growth and ripening. Might have to be growing somewhere in the US that is at or below the lower portion of Ohio or Illinois or a similar latitude line in the northern hemisphere whether in North America or the European continent.

Really important will be where you are located. I don't grow autos even though I keep thinking about it but I read a lot of the threads about them.

Figure that an autoflower will be in a vegetation stage for 3 to 5 weeks and then go into flower. The flowering stage will be 8 to 10 weeks on average, sometimes longer, so that puts harvest sometime between the middle of October and the first week of November if I did the math right. That is if the auto-flower seed is planted today. Gonna be very tight for a fair portion of the US and probably not possible in most of Canada.

The plants will survive mild frost and even some light snows but the cold temperatures can really slow down growth and ripening. Might have to be growing somewhere in the US that is at or below the lower portion of Ohio or Illinois or a similar latitude line in the northern hemisphere whether in North America or the European continent.
Hey from the beautiful mountains of SW Va…….can I ask about your plant last yr that got the spider mites right before chop time??? How did she turn out??
I used be an exclusive outdoor grower many years ago……the benefits of having a grow buddy with 500acres of Bedford County Mtn land. Anyway, once I fired things up inside, I’ve gotten spoiled. I can just dial up any weather I want and bam!
I do love the outside experience though.
Lots of variables, but I swear when u hit a home run and get that 1 out of a 1000 phenos, there’s nothing like it.
Sadly, I don’t have any outdoor girls this yr. Only 2 clones growing in my inside space.
How about U?? Man I love checking out big monstrous outdoor MJ trees….

can I ask about your plant last yr that got the spider mites right before chop time??? How did she turn out??
Mites ended up not being a real problem. I have to believe that predators ended up taking care of the mites. There were two plants and they did pick up some Bud Rot so I had to do a harvest a bit ahead of my planned scheduling. Lost part of the larger main flowering areas.

At the end, after cutting out the flowering stems with the rot, and doing an extra special bud wash, everything was more than acceptable.

Rain on the plants after September 15th is a big No-No here in VA, you're bound to meet that bastard B-Rot.
I play around growing outdoors with clones and second stringers, strictly the JV team. Can't risk the high end seeds out in the big world. You could put in a ton of work for 6 months and grow a monster - only to chop it early and end up with 2 pounds of mildewed bug chewed mid grade.

Rain on the plants after September 15th is a big No-No here in VA, you're bound to meet that bastard B-Rot.
I play around growing outdoors with clones and second stringers, strictly the JV team. Can't risk the high end seeds out in the big world. You could put in a ton of work for 6 months and grow a monster - only to chop it early and end up with 2 pounds of mildewed bug chewed mid grade.
Couldn't have said it better myself and swear every year will be my last but i put myself through it. I get so fed up that i compost the whole issue.

This 90°+ weather has been hell on my plants. I found a couple early spots of mold on the stem of my outdoor Strawberry Lemonade. I noticed a couple random yellow leaves, and found a mold spot at the stem/ leaf junction of each of them. It's just now beginning to really flower up, so I'll hit it with a copper fungicide before the buds get chunky enough to absorb too much chemical.
After today I won't let her get rained on, she'll get a pop-up canopy cover overhead if the forecast is over 30%. Virginia rain is hell on buds in September, but atleast the Temps are supposed to be coming down this week.
Goodluck, if you're out here trying to grow crops in the WildLands of VA, from now until October - it's Game On!

Back
Top Bottom