Ventilation on HID light

If i am going to use Co2 then how would i have to set it up differently??

Dude thank you soo much for that video. Thats for sure how I am going to do it. I will try to find a way to make it hid a lil bit on the outside of the window.
For the last time though, my HID light has two vent holes on it. One holes I attach the ducting to and on the end piece of the ducting I attach the fan/filter, and this end can stay in the closet. On the other hole of the HID light I attach another ducting and run it outside.. Correct?

In this picture does end of the ducting with the fan/filter on it go outside also?

Yes the ducting exits the tent on the left next to the automatic fire extinguisher

How big of a fan will I need in a closet that is 25inX40inX9ft if I am using a 600Watt HPS/MH light. I also got the dimmable ballast version of the 600Watt if 600 was going to be too much. The ballast will let me cut it down back to 300.
What do you all think?

Yes the ducting exits the tent on the left next to the automatic fire extinguisher

So both ends of ducting coming from the HID light need to exist the closet? I thought the ducting /w fan/filter could stay in room and that the other end of the ducting was the only one had to be vented out of room.
Thx

My tent is set up like this filter-light-fan-outside all connected with ducting I put my filter on one end of the light and the fan sucking thru the light on the opposite side so it pulls air thru the filter and thru the light then blows air outside of the tent...only one side needs to get out of the closet to exhaust hot air unless your running co2 that's a different story

How big of a fan will I need in a closet that is 25inX40inX9ft if I am using a 600Watt HPS/MH light. I also got the dimmable ballast version of the 600Watt if 600 was going to be too much. The ballast will let me cut it down back to 300.
What do you all think?

Let me drop my two cents if you don't mind.
If you intend to cool the whole deal I say at least 450 CFM 6" fan. (my grow area has same light setup and this fan) Visit myGrowRoom link in my sig, and see how I built my system. 3'x4'x7' space.

If you are only exhausting the light a filter is not needed and less CFM. A 4" would get'r done. In fact one of those booster fans will cool the light on the cheapo side. You can re-utilize it again latter if you upgrade by using it as an intake fan if running multiple lights or whatever. Ask around most of us have a collection of equipment growing as well.

You want to design for efficient and max performance to get the most from your grow. Many ways to solve the issue but will keep it simple for starts. No sense in having 600w if you can't run it wide open.

TIPS
Locate ballast and fan outside of grow area to lessen heat load. With the new digital ballasts I don't see this as a requirement. Variable speed control for ultimate control. Run any ducting as straight as possible and keep flex runs as short and direct as possible. Always exhaust as high up in the grow space as you can, it's where the heat is.

When you think you are done. Seal all the joints, in the duct that is.
:winkyface:

Light only cooling
fan <- outside wall <- duct <- light <- duct <- outside intake air

Room and light cooling
Fan <- outside wall <- duct <- light <- duct <- Carbon Filter

That's ventilation K.I.S.S. style.

well i am in a trailor (mobile home)...and i own it so that is no big problem. but my problem is that if i do cut two holes in the door to run the ducts thru then how am i going to be able to open the door back up bcuz the stuff is taped through it?
yeah i will take some pics and try to post them..
but i just dont know how i would open the door up bcuz then it would jerk on the ducting and jerk on the light...
any ideas?

My suggestion here is you install the duct to an interior mounted plate, with a gasket on it facing the door. Then install grill in door. Door and duct are separate but mate when door is closed. Does that make sense to you?

So both ends of ducting coming from the HID light need to exist the closet? I thought the ducting /w fan/filter could stay in room and that the other end of the ducting was the only one had to be vented out of room.
Thx

No. My system is Filter--> Fan--> Reflector--> Out of tent and into attic. The filter is where it all starts.

Are you thinking the filter is a flow through design? It is not, it is capped on the end so the air only enters through the filter and only goes the direction of the fan flow. Only one duct exits the tent. My fan is a simple 6" 440cfm from ebay

If you can't figure it out with these photos I don't know what else to tell you man.

IMG_57031.JPG

IMG_57041.JPG

IMG_57051.JPG

Nice set up Batcave the only problem is ur drying in ur tent u do know that light diminishes the thc value of you product. Decreases potency by alot

Nice set up Batcave the only problem is ur drying in ur tent u do know that light diminishes the thc value of you product. Decreases potency by alot

The little light that makes it up above the hood does not effect the THC enough to see any loss, a direct or bright light would but I have been doing this for a few years with zero problems or loss of potency. 3 days hang in the tent, 2 days brown bagged, and after they dry they go into Mason jars and into the dark closet for curing.

Awesome dude... I really just figured it out... The closer up pics made a huge difference.. Im guna set it up jus like that except im guna run mine throuh door and then out window... The video that was posted on the thread earlier seemed like a good idea..
Why does it have to be set up different if you are using Co2? How is it set up different??

Guys you have no idea how much i appreciate the help

Batcave - Great looking grow you got. On the topic of ventilation you do have an effective system. Efficient you do not. The inline fans are pulling machines. Your design or I should say the location of your fan would be far better served after the light, even outside the area if possible. Only thing after the fan should be perhaps a backdraft damper and the outside. The change would also produce a better flowing duct system by not turning as drastic turns as you have as well. You are creating tremendous amounts of turbulence which I am sure you here as noise in the tent. This equates to more load on the fan equaling more heat as well. Your fan has to cool everything and itself as well in your arrangement. The more ducting you have in the tent is also more heat load it picks up before it gets out. Trying to help improve nothing more than suggestions. It all adds up to operational costs in the end.

I do understand ventilation very well, and If it ain't broke don't fix it. Tent is pretty quite since I run the fan turned down. I always find it interesting to see those with the same setup complaining they can't keep their tent cool, no problems here even with a 77 to 78 ambient room.

Let's K.I.S.S. this...

By drawing air through the light you are also getting the coolest intake possible for max cooling of the light. Like I said the fan generates some heat as well. Why add that load before the light? The turbulence in the light is horrible at best. One must remember as well everything down stream of the fan is pressurized and will leak into the room if there are any voids. Why create more potential problems? Restrictions between the fan and the outside also add to the problem. With the fan outside the room sealing inside is not so important, as it is sucking not blowing. That is what we are trying to accomplish. The only point of sealing inside, would be to pull via the filter only.

Let's make sense of it. Drawing air from the room filter then light, does not add heat load. It is the light that adds the load, hence we want nothing in front of the light that produces heat. The air we are drawing from the room is providing for air exchanges and CO2. Now on the topic of adding CO2 then it would require isolating the light cooling system as a separate system. Then another for air exchange. The second system will need to be on a timer, as well as the CO2 system. You don't want to be exhausting the CO2 when you are trying to feed it.

I do understand ventilation very well, and If it ain't broke don't fix it. Tent is pretty quite since I run the fan turned down. I always find it interesting to see those with the same setup complaining they can't keep their tent cool, no problems here even with a 77 to 78 ambient room.

I agree I see those that struggle and shouldn't. Like I said yours is effective. We can solve many problems with more power and more money. All I strive to show it there is always more than one way and some are better than others. I also provide the logic as to why. If installed for efficiency one would be more cost effective but the environment would still hit the mark as yours does. Let me says this. If your fan were in the other arrangement you could more than likely add another tent or light to the system and still be in the sweet seats. Your current config has limits you will hit sooner and cost more to get there. End result less effective and less efficient. But its all good brother, I understand we all make choices based on everything from our budgets to the time we have. You are successful and that is the most important part. Nothing but high marks for you. :goodjob:

If you have a little light like that it's no problem but when ur running 1000 watters it's very important to put the fan out side the tent and pull air through it. Batcave he's not saying urs don't work he's just making a point that it would work better if it was set up right. Kinda like saying my car runs on 5 spark plugs why do I need 6? Well it was designed to run on 6 and it works better on 6. And as far as the drying thing there is at least 500 to 1000 lumens pr sq ft of light up there that is deminishing ur product and lowering the THC. If you don't. Believe it cut a top of the plant in half dry half of it ur way and the other have dry in a dark place cure it properly in a dark place then send them both out for testing you will see the difference. I didn't say ur product didn't get you high I just stated that you were diminishing the potency by drying it in light

Back
Top Bottom