Tkmk's First Attempt At Cloning

Careful though. "Super weak" is the operative phrase there. I gave my last round a foliar which was a bit too strong and that contributed to the total failure of that round.

i haven't had issues for so many yrs i forget lol.

I'm going to guess that "hose" is a temperature probe like @InTheShed uses, not a watering device.

makes a lot more sense. it looked akin to a fire hose filling a shot glass otherwise

That is not a hose its for the heat mat to keep the temps up. And i think im just going to stick with the plugs for now on.

plugs are easy. clones don't need it too warm. i never use heat under mine. the stem ends can rot giving you either a non starter, or more usually one that starts but has root issues immediately due to a rotted stem.

it's sprouting from seed that benefits most from a mat.

I sprayed then with a very watered down bit of nutes the other day.

for reference i use a mix at about 1/4 seedling strength.

easiest way to do it is make a regular seedling mix. fill a spray bottle about 1/4 full. top with ro. shake and spray. it'll be super weak.

plugs are easy. clones don't need it too warm. i never use heat under mine. the stem ends can rot giving you either a non starter, or more usually one that starts but has root issues immediately due to a rotted stem.
That's interesting. I've seemed to have had better luck with bottom heat, but honestly never tested it side-by-side. I feel another experiment coming on...

How long does it typically take you to show roots without bottom heat? I know the professional nursery industry does use it, at least for greenhouse applications.

10 - 14 days to get established is typical. roots can start as early as 3 - 5 days.

edit : that's pretty common for most clone techniques

10 - 14 days to get established is typical. roots can start as early as 3 - 5 days.

edit : that's pretty common for most clone techniques

Well, if you get roots with no bottom heat in the same amount of time with less chance for root rot issues, that would seem a worthy experiment for me for sure! And, that would suggest that temperatures are not a dominant factor in the process.

I've always rooted pretty well in 80*F cab temperatures, and have tried to maintain root temps in that range during the cooler months. I think I may just have to give that a try. Thanks for the post, Bluter. :thanks:

I've always rooted pretty well in 80*F cab temperatures, and have tried to maintain root temps in that range during the cooler months. I think I may just have to give that a try. Thanks for the post, Bluter.

if it's working don't fix it. there's hundreds of ways to clone successfully

if it's working don't fix it. there's hundreds of ways to clone successfully
Ok, but honestly, what fun is that? ;)

And root rot issues are definitely a factor sometimes, so a process that gives similar results with less risks of negative outcomes is worthy of an experiment.

2 of the sc clones have a little root popping out. I only plan on keeping 3 so one more and we are good to go.
20220213_104254.jpg
20220213_104244.jpg

those plugs almost always work good.

i always wind up cloning or seeding with a harder method cause i forget to order them in time and i'm super cheap lol

Still need one more to fully root then the full weight will be gone

you'll get more than you want. then you get to decide lol.

i always take more than i need then wind up getting rid of at least half or more. i usually give a bunch away. i think i had one clone in the last two yrs that didn't root. i usually pull 12 and grow 4 to 8

edit : i flowered one in a shampoo bottle once cause no one would take it and it was too cool to kill lol .. :p

you'll get more than you want. then you get to decide lol.

i always take more than i need then wind up getting rid of at least half or more. i usually give a bunch away. i think i had one clone in the last two yrs that didn't root. i usually pull 12 and grow 4 to 8

edit : i flowered one in a shampoo bottle once cause no one would take it and it was too cool to kill lol .. :p
I wish i knew more people that grow around me so i could give them away. I have one friend that is going to take the gsc clone but sadly nothing i can do withe the other 3 sc clones

I do the same, start more than I need. Then it's survival of the fittest. I want to grow the strongest of the bunch since those are the traits I want to pass along in future rounds.

there's no such thing. clones are locked on to the genetics the mother plant came with. clone over clone rounds only encourage genetic drift and weakens your plants. clones aren't like seed at all.

you need to keep mothers or start fresh every couple rounds if going that way.

your first round is where you sort them out, and mark the plants that will be subsequent mothers. you're dealing with plants from seed and first round clones only. mothers are left in veg and clones are then taken from them for subsequent rounds.

there's no such thing. clones are locked on to the genetics the mother plant came with. clone over clone rounds only encourage genetic drift and weakens your plants. clones aren't like seed at all.

you need to keep mothers or start fresh every couple rounds if going that way.

your first round is where you sort them out, and mark the plants that will be subsequent mothers. you're dealing with plants from seed and first round clones only. mothers are left in veg and clones are then taken from them for subsequent rounds.
I haven't found that to be true. Cuttings from different parts of the plant can produce wildly different structures in the subsequent mature plants, even from cuttings taken at the same time. And some cuttings produce more vigorous roots.

Genetic drift has been argued to be more an introduction of environmental changes, like maybe a virus being transmitted from another plant because of a failure to sterilize the cutters between plants. Clackamas Coot has said he's grown the same plant from cuttings of cuttings with no loss of vigor for decades.

But, either way, I want to be growing on the healthiest, and strongest root producing cuts in the batch. And, to be fair, I haven't been growing for decades so am really going by the info I've read and the research I've done. Your comments will go into the mix. :thanks:

I haven't found that to be true. Cuttings from different parts of the plant can produce wildly different structures in the subsequent mature plants, even from cuttings taken at the same time. And some cuttings produce more vigorous roots.

Genetic drift has been argued to be more an introduction of environmental changes, like maybe a virus being transmitted from another plant because of a failure to sterilize the cutters between plants. Clackamas Coot has said he's grown the same plant from cuttings of cuttings with no loss of vigor for decades.

But, either way, I want to be growing on the healthiest, and strongest root producing cuts in the batch.

if you don't keep a mother it will eventually bite you.
we lost an entire medical strain based on black indica that way. focused on adhd. it'll never get repeated.

i don't remember why it wasn't bred back for seed.

So i kept 3 out of the 6 sc clones that rooted up really nice and still have the crazy gsc clone but i am only going to keep 3 of them. I dont know if i want to give away the gsc or one of the sc. I am just so damn proud of the gsc clone i really dont think ill be able to get rid of her. She was the very first clone i have ever taken and she just looks amazing and is only 4 inches tall but already pushing out her 6th node.
20220216_174045.jpg
20220216_174028.jpg

Back
Top Bottom