Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

I've tried to grow Jack a few times. One of those strains that tempts me.
I generally do better with the denser Indicas. They're just easier.

Those are cicadas. They grow underground eating tree roots and then emerge after 13 or 17 years (depending on the type) to mate and sing. No threat to the ladies, but they sure grab the eye!

Them cicada are a trip. I've had to sweep them off the porch when they were 5-6 inches deep. 1,000's of them everywhere,,, and all the trees covered with shells.. And that buzzing can drive ya crazy. Are you having a hatch?

It's dat time o' year baby! The bugs are roamin hard. I missed the termite hatch while I was hangin at the beach, but the wildlife is quite active with the rising temps. Pulled a tobacco worm almost as big around as my pinky off the last outdoor plant I whacked. The heavy freeze this winter slowed the mosquito populations, but it doesn't seem the other buggins noticed the cold much.

I've been tryin to tempt the missus into a CA/OR split trip this year with 3 days each. My target is the Saturday Market under the bridge and a mellow afternoon at Powell's... perhaps starting the day with a little Eggs Bageldict from Kornblatt's.
One sad things about visiting the homelands after spending so many years in da swamp... the food sux. Sorry PDX.... I'll bow to your pie shops... which I miss... but other than pie and the occasional salmon (smoked!), your meals just can't even begin to compete.

It's dat time o' year baby! The bugs are roamin hard. I missed the termite hatch while I was hangin at the beach, but the wildlife is quite active with the rising temps. Pulled a tobacco worm almost as big around as my pinky off the last outdoor plant I whacked. The heavy freeze this winter slowed the mosquito populations, but it doesn't seem the other buggins noticed the cold much.

I've been tryin to tempt the missus into a CA/OR split trip this year with 3 days each. My target is the Saturday Market under the bridge and a mellow afternoon at Powell's... perhaps starting the day with a little Eggs Bageldict from Kornblatt's.
One sad things about visiting the homelands after spending so many years in da swamp... the food sux. Sorry PDX.... I'll bow to your pie shops... which I miss... but other than pie and the occasional salmon (smoked!), your meals just can't even begin to compete.
That sounds like it'll be a nice relaxing trip. Hard to compete with New Orleans food though. Good to see you back and getting around ok.

Seafood, seafood and more seafood

If ya mention mudbugs, you'll probably trigger a love song from Tead. Your bad... it's been outta my hands for many years now.

Mudbugs... for those not 'in the know' are crawfish. Basically the same thing you might see squirting around your rivers or lakes. Kinda like a tiny lobster. Down here, they grow in the brackish water (mixed salt & fresh) of the swamps and transitional grounds. Between the water, the food sources, and the heat, they grow enormous (relatively) and delicious.

We collect the bugs into large burlap bags (50 pounds-ish) and toss them into a pot of boiling seasoned water. Toss in some sausage, onions, garlic, artichoke, red potatoes, and anything else that sounds good. Burl (yes... 'boil' should be pronounced 'burl') up everything for a bit and spill it all out willy-nilly on a table with all your friends and family waiting to devour the goodness.

Now don't get me wrong... the food is awesome... but it's really just the side entertainment. The main show is the scene... let me take you there for the briefest of moments.
Typically, this occurs in someone's back yard. Often there's a 3-5 piece band playing up on the porch. The young ones are running around the crowd being children. Some stray teens are flirting with each other over in the corner. Everyone is laughing and chatting. The smell of the burl is wafting thru the air advertising the nearing treat. The Abita Amber Ale is flowing and the crowd as a whole is slightly lubricated. Couples are dancing over near the band swinging each other around to some cajun beat. Everyone is sweating just a touch.
When the time is right, the cook calls to the crowd announcing the burl is done. Suddenly the crowd rushes to the tables like pigeons to a crust of bread. The cook spills the boiled concoction out on the table steaming hot. Hands rush to their favorite bits with the true crawfish lovers eyeing the largest bugs in the pile. Tales are pinched... heads are sucked. A few folks at your table are a bit shy of the bugs and not experienced in the finer points. Everyone chides them on into trying a few bugs and shows them their favorite de-shelling technique... after the second bug and third beer, they're hooked for life. The empty shells are literally flying into a large hole in the table with a lined garbage can underneath (oh they stink so bad after the burl!).

The love song has many verses. I'll not sing them all today.
I can't even begin to imagine how many times I've sung this love song. It should be noted.... I never give a recorded version of the love song... it's important enough that it's gets a live rendition every time.

If ya mention mudbugs, you'll probably trigger a love song from Tead. Your bad... it's been outta my hands for many years now.

Mudbugs... for those not 'in the know' are crawfish. Basically the same thing you might see squirting around your rivers or lakes. Kinda like a tiny lobster. Down here, they grow in the brackish water (mixed salt & fresh) of the swamps and transitional grounds. Between the water, the food sources, and the heat, they grow enormous (relatively) and delicious.

We collect the bugs into large burlap bags (50 pounds-ish) and toss them into a pot of boiling seasoned water. Toss in some sausage, onions, garlic, artichoke, red potatoes, and anything else that sounds good. Burl (yes... 'boil' should be pronounced 'burl') up everything for a bit and spill it all out willy-nilly on a table with all your friends and family waiting to devour the goodness.

Now don't get me wrong... the food is awesome... but it's really just the side entertainment. The main show is the scene... let me take you there for the briefest of moments.
Typically, this occurs in someone's back yard. Often there's a 3-5 piece band playing up on the porch. The young ones are running around the crowd being children. Some stray teens are flirting with each other over in the corner. Everyone is laughing and chatting. The smell of the burl is wafting thru the air advertising the nearing treat. The Abita Amber Ale is flowing and the crowd as a whole is slightly lubricated. Couples are dancing over near the band swinging each other around to some cajun beat. Everyone is sweating just a touch.
When the time is right, the cook calls to the crowd announcing the burl is done. Suddenly the crowd rushes to the tables like pigeons to a crust of bread. The cook spills the boiled concoction out on the table steaming hot. Hands rush to their favorite bits with the true crawfish lovers eyeing the largest bugs in the pile. Tales are pinched... heads are sucked. A few folks at your table are a bit shy of the bugs and not experienced in the finer points. Everyone chides them on into trying a few bugs and shows them their favorite de-shelling technique... after the second bug and third beer, they're hooked for life. The empty shells are literally flying into a large hole in the table with a lined garbage can underneath (oh they stink so bad after the burl!).

The love song has many verses. I'll not sing them all today.
I can't even begin to imagine how many times I've sung this love song. It should be noted.... I never give a recorded version of the love song... it's important enough that it's gets a live rendition every time.
That sounds like a wonderful time.

I just saw this crawfish cookout in a doc, but it looked amazing and cajuns definitely came through as master chefs. Would love to go down to NOLA to partake in one :)

I just saw this crawfish cookout in a doc, but it looked amazing and cajuns definitely came through as master chefs. Would love to go down to NOLA to partake in one :)

Bring it Con! We'll dig out the burner, borrow a pot (don't ask), grab a bag of bugs, tempt the musician neighbors to join, and smoke out the crowd with some NOLA grown UD.
Later that night, we'll slide down to the Mother In Law lounge and catch Kermit bangin out some tunes.... perhaps spin a pretty lady or two.
If you know Willie Nelson, see if he needs a break in the southern swamps and drag him along. He's got a new set of tunes out and I'd sure dig a personal version.
Bugs and buds in the backyard with Willie and Con.... not a bad dream.

I'm gonna do everything to get there I promise. I'd love to see the south in general :cool:

You should see the Crawdads they got at Lake Tahoe.. Huge Blue Ones outta that cold ass water.........
Sorry I don't suck the head out. I'll pass on the buttered brains..

Back
Top Bottom