Sweetsue's First Grow - Stealthy Trio of Autos Under CFLs

I like CFLs. When I was looking at the spectrum charts for growing our girls, it showed two real spikes in the upper temps ie 6500 and around 5500 plus our wider 2700 warm shift.

In the case of Big Girl, she had 65 watts of 6500, 105 watts of 5500 and 130 watts of 2700 combined generated over 16 oz of wet bud weight between her two proper hair cuts. That was all from a total of 300 watts of CFL at max draw. 30 days of 24/0, and 60+ days of 12/12. Thats acceptable watts to weight in my opinion.

I also like that the plant can be with in an inch of the bulb and be ok. While they generate some heat, its not really that bad.

I get my bulbs so close I have to peek in a few times a day to make sure they haven't grown into the lights. The weird thing is I'll be doing something else and a plant will call me to rescue it. Honest. LOL!

Thanks for the generous worm bin share.
I'm a man of few words (mostly,) but I do appreciate a full explanation by others. :)

I added multiple layers of moist newspaper to my worm bin a week ago.
When I checked last night there were 15 or 20 worms crawling on top and up into the empty bin above.
Many speckles o'worm poop on the paper, so they are getting housebroken :)

Thanks for the generous worm bin share.
I'm a man of few words (mostly,) but I do appreciate a full explanation by others. :)

I added multiple layers of moist newspaper to my worm bin a week ago.
When I checked last night there were 15 or 20 worms crawling on top and up into the empty bin above.
Many speckles o'worm poop on the paper, so they are getting housebroken :)

They are disoriented for the first week or so...not unusual to find them hanging from the walls. Once they get comfortable they will hardly be seen...unless they're shagging on the news paper.

Daily Update: Day 49 (THC Bomb) & Day 48 (Buddha Magnum)

No vertical growth for the second day in a row. Once the autos stop vertical growth they put all their energy into flower and bud production. This is where the SWICK begins to really pay off. My understanding is that this stage requires much more water and can be one of the biggest challenges for the grower. Not so for this happy gardener. Simply give them their 1/4 turn and refill the reservoir. Today that took just over five cups apiece. I want to clarify that the topping off of the reservoirs should not imply that they have run dry. It just means that I top it off to maintain the depth of water to just around an inch below the surface of the perlite.

Let's begin with a nice group shot to show you all the magnificent flowering erupting on both specimens. As you can see, the Bomb (on the left) is the more proficient one in this regard.

image18134.jpg

There are marked differences between the two strains, but both are packing on the flowers. I'll start with the Bomb. Her main cola is developing nicely.

image18137.jpg

The trichome production is beginning to ramp up right on schedule. This is a view from the very top.

image18143.jpg

Side branches are vigorous and filling out quickly.

image18138.jpg

Buddha Magnum is so tightly packed that it's difficult to get in there for a good photo. Her main cola is just crammed with flowers.

image18140.jpg

Frostiness spreads in a rapid fashion. A view from her peak.

image18145.jpg

Since she isn't growing any taller I lowered her canopy light, so the frosting should improve overnight.

Her side branches are so solid that they don't move when you bump her. She is jamming in flowers here with the same energy she puts into the main cola.

image18141.jpg

As a comparison I have included a side-by-side shot of both plants. The Bomb's flowers are significantly larger than Buddha Magnum's. The Bomb has more branches and they are all longer than Buddha's.

image18147.jpg

It's funny, but not knowing anything about Buddha Magnum I had still anticipated that this would be the largest of the two. Maybe I wanted the possibility of more buds prone to make you giggle with joy. :laughtwo: Regardless, they are both showing great promise.

This is the fun part - watching the buds develop as the frosting spreads to include copious amounts of the plants.

Today I'll begin another batch of popcorn sprouts for an enzyme boost. Since the SWICK works so efficiently I keep forgetting that the soil needs regular additions of things like coconut water and enzyme teas. Hmmmm, I have some interesting plant fertilizers I made from dandelion, thistle, burdock and comfrey sitting in the pantry. Maybe add a bit of one of those for the diversity. One of the guidelines to follow is to be diverse and dilute to keep it light. I can't wait to order some aloe vera powder.

I'm a bit late today. We had a major fire on the next block that leveled two buildings and damaged two more in our historic urban neighborhood, so we were without power for most of the night and halfway through the morning. So much devastation and heartbreak watching the buildings neighbors had taken such loving care of destroyed in no time at all, displacing apartment dwellers and ruining businesses. (Sigh)

I also had to deal with this pesky wound on the husband's foot. This has been a frustration for a couple months. Like a total idiot, it took me until an hour ago to realize we were dealing with a diabetic ulcer running out of control. The treatment offered by the medical staff was only leading to putrefaction so I discontinued it and went to my favorite holistic treatment - comfrey root poultices. I can't believe I was so dense and let it get this far out of control. Working hard not to stay angry with my inattentive nature. I expect more from myself. Ah well, at least I realized it before we started talking about amputation. God, I wish we had something to smoke. So exasperated.

And this is why I grow. The prognosis for Dale is that we will be dealing with a series of cascading medical challenges for the rest of his life. They've been unending since 1998. It's too much to deal with without something to take the edge off and ease the mind. Alcohol is not an option. Cannabis helps him get past all this madness and stay creative and involved as well as tamp down the pain. It helps me stay calm in the face of seemingly never-ending medical crises. My goal is to have a steady supply that doesn't drive us into bankruptcy. It's nice that this hobby calms the soul as well. I wasn't anticipating that benefit for myself.

I also didn't anticipate how pleasant and rewarding it would be to cheer on other growers. It takes me beyond this confining apartment and out into the world. Life is sweet. :green_heart:

OK. Back to reality. Time to take that poultice off. I still need to do a SWICK for my rooting aloe leaf and give it the pest fighting top dress.

Have a great day everyone.

:Namaste:

I'm glad you brought up the issue of swick and teas.

The water and nutrients captured directly by roots are obviously not part of a soil food web, so any nutrition had to be balanced nit to burn plants and PH presumably had to be near optimum.

On the other hand roots in the soil food web should be part of a healthy ecosystem in which PH and concentrations of nutrients address not so important due tho the mediation of fungi and micro organisms.

This dual input, duall ecosystem setup seems .... well schizophrenic.

Everything looks fine. It seems a bit odd that your girls can handle the mix of food web roots and drinking roots.

It seems a bit odd that your girls can handle the mix of food web roots and drinking roots.

It's not really odd... many plants can/do develop roots geared towards water and roots geared towards nutrients. In my Dual Root Zone Aquaponics system, we use this differentiation to give extra phosphorus to the plant, which it wouldn't get through a regular Aquaponics system. The roots in the top layer (in the soil/potting mix) uptake the phosphorus (and whatever else we put in there), and the roots down in the grow bed go nuts for the water.

I saw a video somewhere as well talking about how the roots of the MJ plant spread out in a layer of fine roots just under the oil (probably out to the drip line or just beyond) - these roots uptake lots of nutrients, while the larger tap root goes down deeper looking for water.

Edit: and that's not to say that both types of roots mentioned above only do nutrients or water only.

I think of it like this Rad:

The plants take in water and nutrients from their soil roots. They make energy from the light (photosynthesis). Once you've established a mycorrhizal fungi population, they become much more efficient 'roots' than the plant's own. In living organic soil the fungi build an extensive net/transport system to shuttle whatever the plant requires from wherever it sits in the soil matrix. This is why we try not to disturb the soil by digging into it any more than necessary.

I don't consider that the plants take in nutrients, but rather that they communicate with the mycorrhizal and the fungi seek out the nutrients and bring them right into the plant cells. It was fascinating to see how they do that. Here's that link on fungi I posted earlier in the journal.

These are my favorite part of the link:

image18166.jpg

image18167.jpg

This short animated video is pretty cool too.

Anything I add in a drench is utilized by the soil community to nurture the plant. My job is to continuously replenish the nutrient stores. Worms make that job easiest, but occasional teas can add more diversity (and make me feel like I'm doing something LOL!).

I could probably eliminate the teas altogether after I figure out worms better. CO once suggested purchasing Oly Mt. Compost or Coast of Maine Compost and letting worms work their way through it, then use the EWC as top dressing. This sounds like an excellent idea to me.

It's not really odd at all Rad, just normal living soil biology in action.

It's not really odd... many plants can/do develop roots geared towards water and roots geared towards nutrients. In my Dual Root Zone Aquaponics system, we use this differentiation to give extra phosphorus to the plant, which it wouldn't get through a regular Aquaponics system. The roots in the top layer (in the soil/potting mix) uptake the phosphorus (and whatever else we put in there), and the roots down in the grow bed go nuts for the water.

I saw a video somewhere as well talking about how the roots of the MJ plant spread out in a layer of fine roots just under the oil (probably out to the drip line or just beyond) - these roots uptake lots of nutrients, while the larger tap root goes down deeper looking for water.

Edit: and that's not to say that both types of roots mentioned above only do nutrients or water only.

Ok.
So not odd.. just an everyday natural miracle.

I think of it like this Rad:

The plants take in water and nutrients from their soil roots. They make energy from the light (photosynthesis). Once you've established a mycorrhizal fungi population, they become much more efficient 'roots' than the plant's own. In living organic soil the fungi build an extensive net/transport system to shuttle whatever the plant requires from wherever it sits in the soil matrix. This is why we try not to disturb the soil by digging into it any more than necessary.

I don't consider that the plants take in nutrients, but rather that they communicate with the mycorrhizal and the fungi seek out the nutrients and bring them right into the plant cells. It was fascinating to see how they do that. Here's that link on fungi I posted earlier in the journal.

These are my favorite part of the link:

image18166.jpg

image18167.jpg

This short animated video is pretty cool too.

Anything I add in a drench is utilized by the soil community to nurture the plant. My job is to continuously replenish the nutrient stores. Worms make that job easiest, but occasional teas can add more diversity (and make me feel like I'm doing something LOL!).

I could probably eliminate the teas altogether after I figure out worms better. CO once suggested purchasing Oly Mt. Compost or Coast of Maine Compost and letting worms work their way through it, then use the EWC as top dressing. This sounds like an excellent idea to me.

It's not really odd at all Rad, just normal living soil biology in action.

Yeah, that was a great link.

The picture is good, but I trust you don't have the arbuscular type mycos pictured.
I think you want the cuddly, rather than the penatrative, type for your herb girls!

So Sue, with the swick you aren't watering the top soil at all? Just the occasional tea? I would think the lights would dry out the top soil and plants No?

Im sorry about Dale. My heart goes out to your poor neighbors too, thats terrible :( My grandad went through the same thing Dale is going through with the foot and its just awful. I hope your poultice works for him. I believe in holistic medicine more than I do pharmaceuticals. At least you know whats in it

Yeah, that was a great link.

The picture is good, but I trust you don't have the arbuscular type mycos pictured.
I think you want the cuddly, rather than the penatrative, type for your herb girls!

I did know that Rad, but I love the concept and the picture is awesome.

So Sue, with the swick you aren't watering the top soil at all? Just the occasional tea? I would think the lights would dry out the top soil and plants No?

Im sorry about Dale. My heart goes out to your poor neighbors too, thats terrible :( My grandad went through the same thing Dale is going through with the foot and its just awful. I hope your poultice works for him. I believe in holistic medicine more than I do pharmaceuticals. At least you know whats in it

Thanks JJ. He's fighting depression now. Give him a couple days of the compresses and seeing some positive results and he'll bounce back.

I don't need to water the top at all. The living mulch and the regular mulch keep the top layer of the soil aerated and evenly moist. Gravity keeps the soil from becoming waterlogged, since there is always a space between the surface of the perlite and the water level. There's also the additional benefit of the water becoming more oxygenated as it wicks up through the open spaces of the perlite. It's a win-win all round.

You will love it. Just be sure to increase the organic matter in the soil mix by an additional 25% (not a strict ratio) to allow for enhanced wicking.

Daily Update: Day 50 (THC Bomb) & Day 49 (Buddha Magnum

They surprised me by taking on more vertical growth overnight. The Bomb went up another 1/4" to measure 20 1/4" total and Buddha really surprised me by shooting up another 1/2" to now stand a rowdy 18". Interesting. Maybe lowering that light just a bit over her canopy was what she wanted. The Bomb only took 3 cups of water to top off the reservoir. Buddha took her usual quart. They look happy and healthy.

image18194.jpg

The lights got cut back another 1/2 hour this morning. They now get 16 hours on and 8 hours of sleep. As the time has slipped more to the darkness they have been less droopy in the evening. Is it possible that 18/6 is too stressful for autos? I began adjusting back, not to save them the stress, but at the advice of Buddha Seeds, with the expectation to mimic the seasonal change and promote bud production.

It's so ridiculously exciting to watch the buds begin to grow. I noticed them for the first time while reviewing yesterday's pictures for posting. It's so bright in the closet that even I have a hard time seeing clearly. :laughtwo:

Let's take a look at a side branches on the Bomb. She's filling in quite nicely.

image18195.jpg

Even the interior buds are frosting up. I don't think these are going to be your standard 'popcorn' buds.

image18196.jpg

Buddha's branches don't look as full as the Bomb's, but that's an illusion. Her flowers are more tightly arranged and her branches are stronger. When you bump her branches the whole plant moves!

image18197.jpg

Her interior flowers are every bit as compressed as her companion's. I think she may really surprise us as she races down the back stretch.

image18198.jpg

The main colas continue to fill in and fatten up. Here's the Bomb.....

image18199.jpg

..... and Buddha.

image18200.jpg

The view from the top is breathtaking. I tried to capture a sense of what's going on around them. First up, the Bomb.

image18201.jpg

The parting shot of the day is Buddha in all her grandeur. You don't see her other colas the way you can see the Bomb's because they're under all that dense leaf growth. Don't be misled - I get those side lights right up under the big fan leaves and they penetrate right into the main stalk.

image18202.jpg

This weekend I plan to shift the spectrum a bit and add in another power strip so that there's one for each plant, with a reflective screen in front of each plant. I have that additional hour of darkness in the evening to play around. Not having to be concerned about strict darkness is one of the best things about working with autos.

Deducting for the picture taking for continued documentation, it takes me less than 15 minutes every morning to tend to them. I peek in regularly throughout the day to be sure I'm not inadvertently scorching any fan leaves (tucking comes in handy), but they don't need much more from me. Loving inattention seems to be the best way.

Have a great day everyone.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom