Quick question on plant condition! with pictures

AbrahamA

Hey guys!

So I started my first growing journey last thursday (02/05) and I have a question regarding the condition of my plants.

I'm growing these babies in a RDWC system, with three 5 gallon buckets, filled up with 8 gallons of water in total (water level being just under the net pots). I started off with no water in the system, only planting the seeds inside of rapid rooters, closing both of their top with a piece of rapid rooter in order to preserve the seeds (under no light, but kept the tent temps between 20-25C degrees). I gave them several drops of water (not directly onto the seeds) for 4 days, and today they are finally showing themselves. Also, this morning, I added nutrients for the first time, and fully started the system (including lights).

My question is, the Doctor is growing up really fast, but Skywalker OG seems to be falling behind. Is this normal? Can you tell if there is any problems from the photos? I can provide extra information if you guys need it. Also, the water is being pumped to the rocks, not directly to the rapid rooters.

Also, the doctor has white root-looking stuff that's easily seen when I look at it. Is it normal, or should I worry about it?

First two pics are of Skywalker, and the last two are of the Doctor.

20150209_190038.jpg
20150209_190031.jpg
20150209_190026.jpg
20150209_190021.jpg

Since it's my first time, I wanna know if this whole thing is normal.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Quick question on plant condition! (with pictures)

Can you take a picture of this white root-looking stuff? and it's hard to see the plants in those photos.

Can you take a picture of this white root-looking stuff? and it's hard to see the plants in those photos.

Of course, here are two more close-ups. First one is the Doctor, second one is Skywalker.

20150209_200923.jpg
20150209_200958.jpg

You need to cover those roots. They should never be exposed to light.

Honestly, they are just a few days old, so it's hard to tell if anything is wrong with them at this stage. Give them a few days and see how they progress. Probably WAY too soon or nutes IMO, but I am a soil guy.

You need to cover those roots. They should never be exposed to light.

Honestly, they are just a few days old, so it's hard to tell if anything is wrong with them at this stage. Give them a few days and see how they progress. Probably WAY too soon or nutes IMO, but I am a soil guy.

Thanks so much for your reply! I put very little nutrients. 1 teaspoon of each FloraMicro, FloraGro and FloraBloom. The PPM reads only 200. I read that in RDWC systems, I should start with little to no nutrients when they sprout out. On the other hand, they've been in dark for 4 days straight. I'll cover the top of Skywalker, and the opening of the Doctor with a piece of Rapid Rooter. Other than that, do you think it's normal for Skywalker to fall behind even though they were started at the same time?

By the way, I turned off the water pump. It's only the Air Pump going into the system now, I think the bubbles should be enough to feed the plants for at least as long as Skywalker is in this condition, I think.

Edit: I covered the roots of the Doctor with some Rapid Rooter (the medium I am using), real gently. And then I gently lifted the head of Skywalker, and lightly put some Rapid Rooter right underneath the sprout.

I have never done a DWC but I dont think you need any nutrients for a couple of weeks minimum.those sprouts are barely out of their seeds,, then start at 200 at the most and work your way up. I am running same nutrient line up. 15ml of grow 10 ml micro, and 5ml bloom as well as calimagic (for calcium and magnesium) per 5 gallons in veg, gets me right in the 500 ppm range and that is as high as I go in veg unless they really look hungry. pumping nutes to something that small could kill it. As for the size of them, plants are like people, they are all different sizes and will grow different.

Thats pretty common when popping seeds. Don't stress to much like dan said just give them a Lil time.

I'm a dwc grower. No need for nutes for a few weeks at least. Like was said above...Patience. I'm finishing up two autos now that have withstood very high nute levels, but I started them slow. My photo plants...well let's just say there is a reason I found the seeds in a bag of commercial grade. Cant do anything to hurt them. Rarely check ph during the week, top em off with tap water, no nutes, heavy nutes, heavy defol, doesn't matter to them. Point is, all strains will have differences, so have patience and enjoy the grow.

Thank y'all for your suggestions! I turned the system off, and flushed it. I'll wait for 4-5 days until they are stronger, then I'll start the system again and see what happens!

I see nothing wrong with them, as ultra said cover the roots. I know this is a stupid thing to say but stress less, the more you stress the more stress on your plants.

I see nothing wrong with them, as ultra said cover the roots. I know this is a stupid thing to say but stress less, the more you stress the more stress on your plants.

Thanks so much for your response, that's such a relief. Since it's my first time, I wasn't sure if Skywalker was doing ok, considering I only have the Doctor to compare with. So far, I flushed the system out, coverd the roots with a piece of Rapid Rooter (gently), turned everything off (for at least another 5 days it'll stay this way); and since my hydroton have just arrived in mail today, I added them on top of the other rocks to cover the rest of the net pots.

It's also looking a lot better! The Doctor doubled its size since last night!! Skywalker also came out of its medium, it still keeps its head on, but it's looking a lot better compared to last night!

I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks.

The main mistake new growers make is over thinking, just watch and let your plants do the rest. If your plant needs something it will let you know, the key is not to avoid problems, the key is to know how to deal with them when they arise. It's also worth noting that there is a large difference between a problem and a mistake.

Thanks again guys! After a few days, the Doctor looks great as it did since the beginning. Here's what Skywalker looks like:

20150212_231648.jpg
20150212_231637.jpg
20150212_231631.jpg
20150212_231614.jpg

Until this morning, it still had it's shell as its hat on it. During the day, it threw its hat off. It's looking good, it put a couple of inches in just 3 days! I am just not sure about the dark brown transparent part that's holding the leaves together. As you can see, it's still 'glued', so to speak. I'm gonna let you guys now if it finally shows me its beautiful leaves! Meanwhile, let me know what you guys think! Is that transparent embryonic thing that glues the leaves together normal? Thanks!

Hey guys! So everything is looking great. Both plants are giving me nice and beautiful green leaves, and they look healthy. Right now I am outside, but I'll post some pictures of them this evening. Last thursday, I started giving them light, and nutrients (Flora Series Trio) at 1/8 of a teaspoon per gallon (1/2 teaspoon on the box). So far, the only problem is that the stems of the plants are not that strong to hold them up alone. I started with the led light at 35" far from the plants, then moved them down to 16" away from them. I started circulating the air with a 6" fan blowing indirectly at the plants, just enough to make them shake a little. I also stuck two skewers into the rapid rooters (half an inch deep) and gently tied the plants to them. As I said, I'll post pictures tonight, but are there any suggestions as to how to get the stems strong enough to hold the plants up?

Hello guys! So I forgot to upload pics of the boys the other day, so now I am gonna do it. Yesterday, I changed their water, added 1/2 of the recommended nutrients (1/2 teaspoon/Gallon) hitting 500 ppm (my tap water is 50ppm default). Everything is looking great, but The Doctor has some spots on its leaves and I couldn't quite get what they are. Also, the roots are looking great! They are all white and pretty long already! My 560W (1000W effective Apollo 240x3) light had been at 16" from the plants, not I put it up to 30". I thought it might be light burn, or boron deficiency. The pH level is at 6.00 flat. Here are some pics of the boys for you to comment on (the big one is the Doc, the other one is Skywalker):

20150220_155421.jpg
20150220_155432.jpg
20150220_155441.jpg
20150220_155451.jpg
20150220_155455.jpg

Edit: My 560W (1000W effective Apollo 240x3) light had been at 16" from the plants, not I put it up to 30". I thought it might be light burn, or boron deficiency. The pH level is at 6.00 flat. Thanks!

Hey check out this tutorial on Uploading Photos from iPhone / iPad. It'll show you how to rotate the pictures so we can view them correctly.

:thumb:

Looking good brother! Do you ever get water droplets on the leaves? Or mist them?

Thanks a lot! I forgot to flip them on my phone before uploading, won't happen again :)

So should I drop water on the leaves occasionally? I have never really done that but I definitely can. Do you really think that's looking normal? Thanks again!

Edit: You keep helping me a lot man, I wish I could invite you over the next few months to taste these guys haha. Thanks a lot!

No, I am not a fan of foliar feeding/watering unless its needed to treat something. I was just trying to rule that out as a cause for the brown spots. Sometimes if you get water droplets on the leaves it can act like a magnifying glass and burn the leaf. I see now that it is just on the tips, so it's probably a bit of nute burn. What are your current PPM/ EC readings? Maybe try cutting your feed to 1/4 strength for now

Back
Top Bottom