Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

Phillybonker:

Switching to °F...

Oct. looks too cold for outdoor plants, so I don't know how that would effect the overall grow. Having them in a greenhouse would help, perhaps for the first month or two while in veg.

In my region of New Zealand most outdoor growers germinate late October.

Only thing is Bokeo #2 is a tropical sativa so probably won't like the cooler night temperatures here, but to get decent size plants we got to germinate in October.

The orange months are basically tropical.

Sounds good. Bokeo #2 will at least get a few months of tropical weather.
It would maybe be good if you could shift the harvest time to March

The plants won't have enough time to finish if I pull in March because flowering starts first week of February. The plants finish between 7th April and 15th April.

If you have a lot of cloudy days and rain at your location during the grow, and leading up to harvest, that will effect the outcome. The plants just won't grow as fast as they would in a tropical location with intense sunshine.

Very true.

I don't know if that would effect the finishing time or just effect the yield and quality of the yield.

I'm thinking it will effect all three of those things. Gonna give it go though;)
I'm guessing where Bokeo comes from also has high humidity and rain.

Yep it is very humid where Bokeo comes from, 80%-90% humidity for most of their grow season and they get plenty of rain, in fact the humidity and rain in Bokeo's native region (northwest Laos directly east of the Mekong) roughly matches my region. And surprisingly, at least according to historical data, my region gets just as much sunshine hours as Bokeo's native region. Only real difference is Bokeo's native region has higher temperatures.

Again, I think probably warmth and lots of sunshine are the most important. The more you can make it "feel at home," I'm guessing the better the chances of a good harvest in the 6-month growing period.

Except for the higher temperatures in Bokeo's native region, it looks like a similar climate.

Are you planning to use pots or plant in the ground? If pots, what size pots?

Straight in the ground.

How far from the ocean are you?

I haven't made a final decision on a grow area but for now I plan on growing Bokeo in a forestry block about two miles from the ocean.

The plants won't have enough time to finish if I pull in March because flowering starts first week of February. The plants finish between 7th April and 15th April.
OK, so the plants need the longer night hours of early Feb. in order to start flowering. What is the night length at that time of year, 10 hrs? I wonder if 10 hrs will be enough for Bokeo #2, since it's a tropical sativa and genetically close to a pure landrace sativa.

Here's a hypothetical growing season in Bokeo, Laos, showing night duration:

Apr 20: 11.3 hr - plant seed
May 20: 10.8 hr
Jun 20: 10.6 hr (solstice)
Jul 20: 10.8 hr
Aug 20: 11.3 hr
Sep 20: 11.8 hr
Oct 20: 12.5 hr - harvest
Nov 20: 12.9 hr
Dec 20: 13.1 hr

Now, I don't know when they actually plant seed in Laos, but surely they are aiming for flowering to start after June 20, so I wouldn't be surprised if they plant in May or beginning of June.

Straight in the ground.
That's good! Are you going to add ferts to the soil?

I haven't made a final decision on a grow area but for now I plan on growing Bokeo in a forestry block about two miles from the ocean.
That should help also. I know a farm in Southern Calif. that's close to the ocean and they were able to actually grow good coffee there, and also cherimoya.

OK, so the plants need the longer night hours of early Feb. in order to start flowering. What is the night length at that time of year, 10 hrs? I wonder if 10 hrs will be enough for Bokeo #2, since it's a tropical sativa and genetically close to a pure landrace sativa.

Yeah 10 hours is the night length here at that time of the year.

Now that you mention it, I went back and read an old journal of a guy growing out Bokeo #2 and it does appear to start flowering late.......very late....as in September.

@Stunger when did your land race sativa's start flowering?

Here's a hypothetical growing season in Bokeo, Laos, showing night duration:

Apr 20: 11.3 hr - plant seed
May 20: 10.8 hr
Jun 20: 10.6 hr (solstice)
Jul 20: 10.8 hr
Aug 20: 11.3 hr
Sep 20: 11.8 hr
Oct 20: 12.5 hr - harvest
Nov 20: 12.9 hr
Dec 20: 13.1 hr

Now, I don't know when they actually plant seed in Laos, but surely they are aiming for flowering to start after June 20, so I wouldn't be surprised if they plant in May or beginning of June.

That's good! Are you going to add ferts to the soil?

Yeah I'll give them some blood & bone, kelp meal and some potash.

That should help also. I know a farm in Southern Calif. that's close to the ocean and they were able to actually grow good coffee there, and also cherimoya.

I use to have some grow spots 200-300 metres from the ocean, grew some pretty decent indica's there.

Update on the Humboldt Dream in flower...

This plant in 10 gal. has gone much longer in flower than I think any other plant I've ever grown—meaning I've been letting the buds ripen longer than I usually do. And that's because the colas were so big and robust, and no sign of bud rot.

I clipped a mid-lower bud cluster today to get a good look at the trichomes (photo below).

Good thing I did that, because while trimming it tonight I found the beginnings of the hidden, stealthy type of bud rot! Amazing because the buds look perfect on the outside, except for some dead sugar leaves due to septoria.

Soooo... tomorrow I harvest! I'm hoping that most of the upper colas are 100% clean or close to it. 🤞

High resin production and very sticky!
humboldt_dream_bud1.jpg

This is probably the most amber I've ever seen in my grow, because I almost always need to harvest early to avoid bud rot. Maybe HI-BISCUS in 10 gal. can do even better—I just need to clone the mom, and then she'll be ready to move to the flower house.
humboldt_dream_trichomes1.jpg

:ciao:

Where was he growing?
Not sure, I only know he was in the northern hemisphere. His hybrids were late into flowering when Bokeo started flowering.

@Stunger is from New Zealand and he grew some African and Central American landrace sativa's outdoors that seem to start flowering at the normal start time in this country (early February), but I would need to confirm that with him.

Not sure, I only know he was in the northern hemisphere. His hybrids were late into flowering when Bokeo started flowering.
In that case, I would make a semi-wild guess that in Laos they might plant in the beginning of June, and then 2 months later the night length would be close to 11 hours, the plants would start flowering, and the finish would be end of Nov.

If the guy who grew Bokeo #2 was around the Colorado latitude, night length on Sept 1 is around 11 hours.

You could contact the seed company and see if they know more details about the Laos season. Knowing the planting time would help determine when they start flowering, and hence the night hours required, or perhaps they know the start of flowering.

In that case, I would make a semi-wild guess that in Laos they might plant in the beginning of June, and then 2 months later the night length would be close to 11 hours, the plants would start flowering, and the finish would be end of Nov.

If the guy who grew Bokeo #2 was around the Colorado latitude, night length on Sept 1 is around 11 hours.

You could contact the seed company and see if they know more details about the Laos season. Knowing the planting time would help determine when they start flowering, and hence the night hours required, or perhaps they know the start of flowering.

Is a sunrise/sunset calculator. Hope this helps.

I got a location, he was growing in Tuscon, Arizona and Bokeo started flowering at 12 hours of darkness (September). That's a worry, I also thought 11 hours would trigger bloom.

He did mention Bokeo doesn't respond well to a stressful environment, maybe stress factors played a part in the late flowering?

That's a good idea, I'll contact the seed company now.

I got a location, he was growing in Tuscon, Arizona and Bokeo started flowering at 12 hours of darkness (September). That's a worry, I also thought 11 hours would trigger bloom.
I see on suncalc that Tucson night duration on Sept. 1 is 11.2. Sept. 25 is 12 hrs.

I'll bet Bokeo is triggered closer to 11 hours than 12 hrs.

He did mention Bokeo doesn't respond well to a stressful environment, maybe stress factors played a part in the late flowering?
I think the night duration would be a solid trigger.

That's a good idea, I'll contact the seed company now.
👍

I see on suncalc that Tucson night duration on Sept. 1 is 11.2. Sept. 25 is 12 hrs.

I'll bet Bokeo is triggered closer to 11 hours than 12 hrs.

That would make more sense Bokeo triggering closer to 11 hours. I was using a crappy website for sunrise/sunset.

I think the night duration would be a solid trigger.

👍
Yes you're right.

Good thing I did that, because while trimming it tonight I found the beginnings of the hidden, stealthy type of bud rot! Amazing because the buds look perfect on the outside, except for some dead sugar leaves due to septoria.
Humboldt Dream harvest and trimming report:

THREW IT ALL AWAY!!

Oh man, big lesson on that one. 5 big top colas, all looking great on the outside. EVERYTHING riddled with infected stigmas and small spots of bud rot starting INSIDE the buds. Two shopping bags full. Lower stuff worse.

So you see, this is why I'm hell bent on finding more strains that are naturally resistant to botrytis. Notable on this Humboldt Dream is that—although the resin production was great—the aroma wasn't strong, and definitely not in the pine spectrum. I would say it was a sweet, slightly cheesy odor. If I had harvested a week ago, it probably would have been great. There was actually quite a bit of amber at that point (photos above). My timing was thrown off I think because of a couple curve balls... 1) 10 gal pot resulting in much bigger colas and buds, with no external sign of bud rot, and 2) thinking I might be able to complete my bud dryer in time for this harvest (delaying harvest).

Well, the bright side is that I have 3 plants in the veg house ready to flower—I just need to clone them first: Blueberry, Humboldt Dream, and HI-BISCUS. My first time for BB and HI-BISCUS in 10 gal. And 2nd try on the Humboldt Dream! Gonna nail it on round 2! And the bud dryer—if it all checks out and works—will be ready for the harvests.

🌦️⛅☀️🌱

And fans would not help?

And fans would not help?
Nah, I'm way beyond the fans, brother. The fungus here is a crazy dimension. It's ass kicking. I feel like I'm always pushing the limits, but it's gotta be that way, or else I won't find the way through. Smaller pot no good, lots of bud rot. Big pot fantastic, whoops ... ya still need to time it just right. Hit, miss, hit, miss. One of these days I'm thinking I'll dial it all in, with the right strains/phenos (>>terps<<), the right pot size, and the right timing. I really just want a nice sativa, a nice indica (or 2), and a nice 50/50. That's it. Oh, and a whopping high CBD that's naturally resistant, too. I just want to grow fat colas with sticky stinky buds, trim clean buds, put them in my cool & quick dryer for a spell, and enjoy. Without the constant threat of fungal doom. It will be interesting to see what finally develops. In the mean time, I just keep on pluggin' away. Stay tuned... the fun never stops!

Thanks y'all for keeping up with my thread. I really appreciate it! :ciao:

Nah, I'm way beyond the fans, brother. The fungus here is a crazy dimension. It's ass kicking. I feel like I'm always pushing the limits, but it's gotta be that way, or else I won't find the way through. Smaller pot no good, lots of bud rot. Big pot fantastic, whoops ... ya still need to time it just right. Hit, miss, hit, miss. One of these days I'm thinking I'll dial it all in, with the right strains/phenos (>>terps<<), the right pot size, and the right timing.
I hope it all comes together for you one day.
In the meantime I am learning a lot about terpenes, pinene, etc.
I really just want a nice sativa, a nice indica (or 2), and a nice 50/50. That's it. Oh, and a whopping high CBD that's naturally resistant, too.
Hahaha, you have much humbler goals than me. I want ALL of the fungal-impervious CBD sativas, CBD 1:1, and CBD indicas I can grow here, with or without fans! : 😂

I just want to grow fat colas with sticky stinky buds, trim clean buds, put them in my cool & quick dryer for a spell, and enjoy. Without the constant threat of fungal doom. It will be interesting to see what finally develops. In the mean time, I just keep on pluggin' away. Stay tuned... the fun never stops!
Sending good hopes and prayers your way.

Thanks y'all for keeping up with my thread. I really appreciate it! :ciao:
No, but I am more to thank you.
I am learning a lot, and enjoying it. :thumb:

PS thanks for the idea of growing out the regulars, destroying the males, and keeping the phenos I like best. 👊👍

PS I hesitate to say anything, because I'm just a newbie, and you're a master grower in comparison. But those SIP buckets really helped my plant health. I think they aerate the roots like nobody's business. And stuff grows way faster also. Did you say you had a novel idea for an SIP bucket? (There's also SWICK, but I'm not sure if that's the same.)

Back
Top Bottom