Poor root growth?

toddtony

These are photos from 30+ days in 1 gallon pots I’m pretty sure the rootballs should look way better wondering if there is any thoughts on why these look so bad and what I can do to make sure
They are now in their final pots with the 5 gallons and if the roots look like this come into flower, I know the yield will have been bad

Happy frog plus sungro black gold soil 50/50
Gaia green all purpose 444
Ph is around 6.5 I think
Temps were average 77
RH 55
Dynomyco
Kelp meal (compost tea)
Worm castings
Lights 16 inches 50% 3 100w recently turned to 75%
18/6
NFHSEEESH ,ICE COLD, oreoz fem photos

IMG_3350.jpeg
IMG_3348.jpeg
IMG_3353.jpeg

They did for the most part fill the 1 gallon pots above ground
The front row smaller ones are the roots in photos left to right is NFHSEEESH OREOZ ICE COLD the back row is the same strains different phenos they are growing outdoors curious to see their roots aswell but pots are soaked
IMG_3330.jpeg

Hard to say, I should say the roots sticking out of the top seem nice and white and the bottom roots seem brown/deadish.. makes me wonder if you're
A. Letting the roots sit on water therefore killing the bottom showing layer
Or B. Maybe you're letting them dry too much and the bottom roots dried to far!

Either of these a possibility?

Hard to say, I should say the roots sticking out of the top seem nice and white and the bottom roots seem brown/deadish.. makes me wonder if you're
A. Letting the roots sit on water therefore killing the bottom showing layer
Or B. Maybe you're letting them dry too much and the bottom roots dried to far!

Either of these a possibility?
I’d lean towards the drying out option was thinking I might need to still fine tune watering process

These are photos from 30+ days in 1 gallon pots I’m pretty sure the rootballs should look way better wondering if there is any thoughts on why these look so bad and what I can do to make sure
They are now in their final pots with the 5 gallons and if the roots look like this come into flower, I know the yield will have been bad

Happy frog plus sungro black gold soil 50/50
Gaia green all purpose 444
Ph is around 6.5 I think
Temps were average 77
RH 55
Dynomyco
Kelp meal (compost tea)
Worm castings
Lights 16 inches 50% 3 100w recently turned to 75%
18/6
NFHSEEESH ,ICE COLD, oreoz fem photos

IMG_3350.jpeg
IMG_3348.jpeg
IMG_3353.jpeg

They did for the most part fill the 1 gallon pots above ground
The front row smaller ones are the roots in photos left to right is NFHSEEESH OREOZ ICE COLD the back row is the same strains different phenos they are growing outdoors curious to see their roots aswell but pots are soaked
IMG_3330.jpeg
You're letting the pots go too dry between waterings. Roots die off with lack of moisture. With that amount of perlite it's almost impossible to over water if you keep the right volume of container according to plant size.

I never let my pots dry out running soilless ie peat moss or coco coir. I let peat go slightly lighter than coir for the ease of it in veg but the surface of the pots is still always moist.

I believe there's many misconceptions and bad instructions regarding watering practice that doesn't take into consideration when to transplant and into what size container depending on medium and growing method.

If you raise the pots and put them on saucers and by doing so removing the possibility of the plant sitting straight in runoff and stagnant water you will remove many of the problems people experiencing with over watering.

I think it's a matter of technique and we should aim to feed as often as possible running soilless and hydro instead of listening to advices better aimed for running organics in big containers.

A big problem is that many people who doesn't have enough experience running both keep giving advices and instructions. You help very little by giving advices and instructions after only a couple of cycles and years of growing.

Cheers!

I'm not sure TBH [I use coco] - if it's not irregular watering, are they standing on a cold stone floor perchance?
Tent is. Currently in basement which does have a fairly cold floor definitely a few below room temp but the plants are are well elevated of the tent floor about a foot

image.jpg

You're letting the pots go too dry between waterings. Roots die off with lack of moisture. With that amount of perlite it's almost impossible to over water if you keep the right volume of container according to plant size.

I never let my pots dry out running soilless ie peat moss or coco coir. I let peat go slightly lighter than coir for the ease of it in veg but the surface of the pots is still always moist.

I believe there's many misconceptions and bad instructions regarding watering practice that doesn't take into consideration when to transplant and into what size container depending on medium and growing method.

If you raise the pots and put them on saucers and by doing so removing the possibility of the plant sitting straight in runoff and stagnant water you will remove many of the problems people experiencing with over watering.

I think it's a matter of technique and we should aim to feed as often as possible running soilless and hydro instead of listening to advices better aimed for running organics in big containers.

A big problem is that many people who doesn't have enough experience running both keep giving advices and instructions. You help very little by giving advices and instructions after only a couple of cycles and years of growing.

Cheers!
Alright maybe that has been a problem the top couple inches is usually hydrophobic when I water with a little more moisture a few inches under

I have transplanted a few that have similar slow root development. Often the soil looks similar to yours; it will look moist, loose and kinda fluffy, and look like it was not tamped down enough during the previous planting session. Then within a week or two the above ground portion starts to grow faster and generally looking better than before the transplanting.

It does not happen every time but often enough that I stopped worrying about these types of root situations unless the plant just will not improve.

The fabric pots will air prune the root ends when they reach the sides causing the roots to branch out further in. After harvest when you dissect the root ball it wouldn't surprise me if you had a mass of fine feeder roots inside.

Lack of a root mass can also be caused by keeping the soil too wet but that doesn't look like the issue here.

Back
Top Bottom