Outdoor going indoor

Just because there are no insects visible when inspecting does not mean the plant is safe. Believe like it is a religion that there are insects on your plant or plants that you are not seeing.

Spray the above ground part of the plant like you are fighting a major battle in a long time war. You not only have to kill off the insects there that day but you will be killing off any that hatch after the first one or two spray sessions. There is also the possibilities that there are two or more types of insects and the spray chosen might not kill off all of them. Have a second spray that will pick up the slack and work that into your management program.

Do not forget the soil medium. There are insects that will live there and some are good and some bad. At the minimum add something for Fungus Gnats. My recommendation is to sprinkle Mosquito Bits on the surface so that the active ingredient will work its way into the soil every time it is watered. Some growers use a Mosquito Dunk broken up into quarters and then one piece in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Both the Bits and the Dunks makes for a great Gnat prevention program.As with the above ground insect management program the soil part could require more than one insect control since some above ground insects might have a stage in their life where they live in the soil.

For the most part if I bring a plant inside that has been growing outside it is because it will be a one time project. I will not take it back out the next day or week or month.

Most important, plan ahead and start the pest management a week, maybe 10 days, ahead of time. Skip no days or steps in your schedule--might as well start over at day one.

Might seem kinda drastic and over reacting but the grower has to realize that there are next to no predators inside other than some spiders if they are allowed to live--otherwise the only really predator inside is the human:).

Back
Top Bottom