On Schedule

Coming soon to this spot is going to be 42 or the number from which all meaning ("the meaning of life, the universe, and everything") can be derived. I figure that @RedskinnedRhino is familiar with this even though it is not a SIP grow.

It will be a photo journal of two plants taken from the basement and placed outside. The idea was to give them enough time, about two to three weeks, in the new pots to allow for fresh root and above ground growth.

Every couple of days I took photos of the two and after some sorting through them there are enough to get started. Hoping that shortly after harvest the photos here in this thread will have caught up with the harvesting stage on the kitchen table.

Light them if you want...I will.

Figuring that outdoor flowering will start between the 5th and 15th of August it was time to get the ball rolling. So, starting the photo journal with July 18,'24.

This photo for today's entry is a Papaya strain and the 2nd of two plants I will be growing outside this year. This plant was grown from a seed that that I had in the fridge since Nov of 2017. The person that gave me the seed handed over a small baggie's worth of them that had been in his kitchen cupboard over the stove for about 4 years near as he could remember. That would make the seed about 10 or more years old, so yes, old seeds do sprout and grow.

On the 18th I transplanted it from a pot containing about 1.25 gallons of soil into this one which I had already filled with 5.75 gallons of my 'natural soils' mix. I moved the center of the soil off to the side, popped the plant out of the smaller pot, ripped some of the lower roots off and crammed it into the 5.75 gallons of soil, pushed the soil back around it and tamped it down. Nothing delicate and nothing happening to the plant that worried me.

The photo shows some earlier Mite damage on the lower leaves and just a tad bit more up closer to the top. Plus maybe a bit of Powdery Mildew on a couple of leaves. Off to a good start with some of the common problems other growers encounter.

After all this the plant was moved to the 'stealth' area. The other plant is a Peanut Butter Cup, a clone from a clone and so on. It is about the 5th, maybe 6th generation but I would have to look it up to be sure. Anyway, the PBC was put in its pot with just over 4 gallons of soil on July 15th and then placed in the 'stealth garden' area. The photo of both plants, side by side, will be coming up in another day or two.

full

Notes: dSLR, taken on 7-18-24, 1/60 sec, f 3.3, iso 80, flash-auto

Coming soon to this spot is going to be 42 or the number from which all meaning ("the meaning of life, the universe, and everything") can be derived. I figure that @RedskinnedRhino is familiar with this even though it is not a SIP grow.

It will be a photo journal of two plants taken from the basement and placed outside. The idea was to give them enough time, about two to three weeks, in the new pots to allow for fresh root and above ground growth.

Every couple of days I took photos of the two and after some sorting through them there are enough to get started. Hoping that shortly after harvest the photos here in this thread will have caught up with the harvesting stage on the kitchen table.

Light them if you want...I will.

:blunt: gotta ask the right questions if you want the right answers.

The photo from July 23rd shows both plants. The Papaya from seed is on the left and the Peanut Butter Cup clone on the right.

Not easy to see in this photo is the color difference between the two. The PBC is a much darker green, almost a blue-green color.

Also, the PBC is in a slightly smaller pot, approx 4 and 1/2 gallons if I remember right.

A bit out of focus but in front and to the right is one of my oldest Rosemary plants, over 25 years old. Rosemary is recommended as a companion plant in the garden because it repels and discourages many pest insects including Spider Mites.

full

The photo from July 23rd shows both plants. The Papaya from seed is on the left and the Peanut Butter Cup clone on the right.

Not easy to see in this photo is the color difference between the two. The PBC is a much darker green, almost a blue-green color.

Also, the PBC is in a slightly smaller pot, approx 4 and 1/2 gallons if I remember right.

A bit out of focus but in front and to the right is one of my oldest Rosemary plants, over 25 years old. Rosemary is recommended as a companion plant in the garden because it repels and discourages many pest insects including Spider Mites.

full
Taking Rosemary and Lavender cuttings from a neighbour this week :thumb:

A week later it this photo taken July 30, '24.

There might not seem like much has happened over the week since the previous photo but the thing to look for is that the Papaya is growing faster than the PBC. It seems to have gained several inches.

A little harder to see is that the green colors still show the PBC being a darker green than the other. This is especially noticeable on the newer fan leaves and growth.

Still no signs of flowering starting. I do not count any preflowers that might be showing at the nodes since those are a single stigma/pistil which will wither up within days anyway.

full

A week later it this photo taken July 30, '24.

There might not seem like much has happened over the week since the previous photo but the thing to look for is that the Papaya is growing faster than the PBC. It seems to have gained several inches.

A little harder to see is that the green colors still show the PBC being a darker green than the other. This is especially noticeable on the newer fan leaves and growth.

Still no signs of flowering starting. I do not count any preflowers that might be showing at the nodes since those are a single stigma/pistil which will wither up within days anyway.

full
I would probably not plant the lady near so many other plants, but this one seems to be all right, just need it's time

I would probably not plant the lady near so many other plants, but this one seems to be all right, just need it's time
It is a stealth grow. Michigan law allows us to grow in our backyards but the plant cannot be seen by the general public if they drive or walk by. There is a privacy fence between us and the neighbor. The back and the other side are a driveway and parking lot for a social organization. The fence there is cyclone and the shrubs still have not grown high and thick enough to block the view. Also, the local police will sometimes park in the shade of one of my trees and watch traffic or take their break so I have to keep the plants hidden. Kind of being stuck between the classic rock and hard place.

Behind these two plants is a clump of "ornamental grass" and a clump of a flowering perennial plant which blocks the view of anyone in the neighbor's yard so no valid complaint that any children in that yard can see the plants.

I have blocked the rest of the view best I can by placing other plants, yard chairs and picnic tables. Over the past couple of years even people who know I grow and know what the plant looks like will often walk past the plants and not realize they were there.

It is a stealth grow. Michigan law allows us to grow in our backyards but the plant cannot be seen by the general public if they drive or walk by. There is a privacy fence between us and the neighbor. The back and the other side are a driveway and parking lot for a social organization. The fence there is cyclone and the shrubs still have not grown high and thick enough to block the view. Also, the local police will sometimes park in the shade of one of my trees and watch traffic or take their break so I have to keep the plants hidden. Kind of being stuck between the classic rock and hard place.

Behind these two plants is a clump of "ornamental grass" and a clump of a flowering perennial plant which blocks the view of anyone in the neighbor's yard so no valid complaint that any children in that yard can see the plants.

I have blocked the rest of the view best I can by placing other plants, yard chairs and picnic tables. Over the past couple of years even people who know I grow and know what the plant looks like will often walk past the plants and not realize they were there.
Crazy that junk food, cigarettes, alcohol are all broadly and positively advertised, yet you have to hide a medicinal plant

Crazy that junk food, cigarettes, alcohol are all broadly and positively advertised, yet you have to hide a medicinal plant
There is that but Cannabis for medicinal or recreational use can be advertised here, even on billboards along the freeway and signs in front of buildings. Cigarettes cannot be advertised on billboards, radio or TV in Michigan. Alcohol advertising is also heavily restricted and limited mostly to ads on TV sports events.

Currently the advertising of Cannabis is no where near as restricted as that of alcohol or tobacco.

It is the plant that has to be hidden from public view. Using binoculars/telescopes, cameras, or standing on ladder or the roof in order to see the plant does not count. Even smelling the plant is no reason to claim that the law is being violated.

In the long run my main reason for hiding the plant is to prevent it from being ripped off by some kids who will think they have found the stairway to heaven.

There is that but Cannabis for medicinal or recreational use can be advertised here, even on billboards along the freeway and signs in front of buildings. Cigarettes cannot be advertised on billboards, radio or TV in Michigan. Alcohol advertising is also heavily restricted and limited mostly to ads on TV sports events.

Currently the advertising of Cannabis is no where near as restricted as that of alcohol or tobacco.

It is the plant that has to be hidden from public view. Using binoculars/telescopes, cameras, or standing on ladder or the roof in order to see the plant does not count. Even smelling the plant is no reason to claim that the law is being violated.

In the long run my main reason for hiding the plant is to prevent it from being ripped off by some kids who will think they have found the stairway to heaven.
Wow - worlds apart
Here they're still plugging away at alco-pops, 'energy drinks', bubble-gum flavoured nicotine vapes, barely edible junk and questionable fashion trends on social media

Getting ripped off is sadder than having Mother Nature take it away.

Back
Top Bottom