Old Strains - New LED Light!

Half way through day 9 !

Day 4 for Hawaiian Snow..

Things are finally starting to happen ;)

Picked up a bag of coco coir and one of perlite today !

I do not water on a schedule but it just worked out they all needed it at the same time, a cup of 1.5g/gallon of MC was just enough for some run off...

Plant height temp @ 82, room temp 76.5, rh 40%. Exhaust fan is running intermittently but it was 90 outside today. Larger room where the intake air comes from was 73...

Putting the solo cups on saucers/elevators raised their height by 11" and lux to 22,.000. 490 par o_O ?

Plant distance to bars is 17". Dimmer knob is at 2 out of 10 !

Does not compute but I'm going to leave it for now and see what happens :yahoo:

Day 9 The Girls 25 Sept.jpg

Cheers
22k lux ≠ 490µmol ("PAR").

22k lux from your light is about 330µmol which is a good amount of light. I suspect that plants that young wouldn't tolerate 490µmol very well.

This is the spectrum for your light and it looks to be, at most, an even balance. If the blue peak were higher, I'd be tempted to use 0.0145 for a factor but 0.015 is the common factor for a "white" LED. Either number will get you in the ballpark.

1727364466350.png

While you're in the ballpark for good light, your RH is brutal for a young plant.

I accept that some growers don't "believe" in VPD and that's fine but it doesn't change the fact that plants live and die by VPD. At 82 and 40, your plant is forced to give off twice as much water at is considered optimal for a seedling/young plant.

The leaf temp is good but your plants would be a lot happier if RH was in the high. If you can't get VPD back in range, your first nutrients should be really dilute because your plants are taking up 2x as much water as normal. My first nute batch is EC 0.6 but, if my VPD was this high, I'd go in at 0.2 or a bit less.

1727364973846.png

I've attached a document I wrote re. converting lux conversions. It might "shed some light" on why I came up with the 0.015 factor.

Attachments

• Lux to PPFD Conversions.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Thank you Very Much for that @Delps8 !

Using your conversion factor I get a par of 330, that makes more sense to me !

I've been using this conversion site > LUX to PPFD & PPFD to LUX Conversion Calculator from Nexsel

Their results for full spectrum are roughly 25% higher than your table.

I have bottled water on my list for my next trip to town ! My well water quickly makes a mess of my humidifier, sigh.

From prior experience I know I won't be able to raise the rh to much more than 50% but that was with my exhaust fan running continuously with my HID light...

Six hours after the change the girls are praying and visibly Larger :love:

I will take another comparison picture after 24hrs.......

BTW > It's not that I don't believe in VPD, I just try to limit my measurebation :yahoo:

There is only so much I can do with my set up without spending more $ o_O

Cheers, eh ?

I use to run a boost exhaust fan on a thermostatic switch to control high temps. After switching to LED it almost never turned on and humidity climbed. Lower temps gives higher RH and less air exchange made the humidity climb. My small fresh air fan was not enough to get it bellow 90%RH at 80deg. I started using humidity switches to control the boost fan pulling the humidity out of the room. Plants are really good humidifiers once they get going.

Thank you Very Much for that @Delps8 !

Using your conversion factor I get a par of 330, that makes more sense to me !

I've been using this conversion site > LUX to PPFD & PPFD to LUX Conversion Calculator from Nexsel

Their results for full spectrum are roughly 25% higher than your table.
The paper cites the sources for my conversion factors but feel free to use whatever factor you wish.

0.015 was used by Shane @ Migro when I first ran into the idea of using a lux meter instead of a PAR meter. I bought an Apogee was skeptical that conversions could be accurate. After learning more about the how and why and then testing the lights that I own, things clicked.

No idea why that sites numbers would be off. There's no mystery to it and all of the data is publicly available.

I have bottled water on my list for my next trip to town ! My well water quickly makes a mess of my humidifier, sigh.

From prior experience I know I won't be able to raise the rh to much more than 50% but that was with my exhaust fan running continuously with my HID light...
50's tough on a little plant but low RH is better than high RH. They'll take in more water than go easy on the nutes and they'll do OK.

Six hours after the change the girls are praying and visibly Larger :love:
Cannabis is a light whore loves light so, yeh, they'll do right by you if you feed them well.
I will take another comparison picture after 24hrs.......

BTW > It's not that I don't believe in VPD, I just try to limit my measurebation :yahoo:
VPD is just one number instead of two (RH and temperature). Nothing more, nothing less. The good thing about VPD is that it helps a grower understand how plants work. Some folks find that helpful, some just put their grow on autopilot but, overall, cannabis is a trooper.

There is only so much I can do with my set up without spending more $ o_O

Cheers, eh ?
"A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money." :)

Cannabis can be like that but it really is amazing how much weed you can grow without spending a lot, especially compared to the price of weed at the weed store. I get a 25% veteran's discount but some of the prices were $300 and up when I last checked and that was a few years ago so, yeh, don't spend it if you don't have to . :thumb:

50's tough on a little plant but low RH is better than high RH. They'll take in more water than go easy on the nutes and they'll do OK.
Has worked okay for years in the 40's range....

But, I don't mind and actually enjoy fine turning my environment and am constantly aware of air movement and temperature in my enclosure. Bud rot is Watched for but never has been an issue, touch wood ;)

I feel you do the best you can afford at the time and add elements when you can, if you want ;)

You do not need a tent full of gadgets to have a successful grow. But if possible, aim for a light that supplies ~32w/sq. ft. of your space. Pay attention to your feeding/watering, etc., consider training/topping, etc.

If you can or want to totally control Everything consider that these improvements will show increase in yields, etc. but it might not be as much as you think !

Keep in mind this is a grow journal from what is and will remain a "budget" grow space !

Available space, a reasonable amount of light. Inexpensive fans, timer, exhaust fan control. Simple light plastic "wall" enclosure/reflectors.

My move from HID to LED has been a Pleasant surprise !

It allows me to fine tune the amount of light reaching the Whole canopy simply by turning a knob :love:

Only 3 settings on HID, infinite knob on the LED !

Each year I try to make small inexpensive improvements and I'm good for now !

Except for a dedicated lux meter, he, he..

I think my humidifier cost me a whopping $70 😆

My oil filled heater last year was under a $100 ?
VPD is just one number instead of two (RH and temperature). Nothing more, nothing less. The good thing about VPD is that it helps a grower understand how plants work. Some folks find that helpful, some just put their grow on autopilot but, overall, cannabis is a trooper.
Agreed ;)
"A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money." :)

Cannabis can be like that but it really is amazing how much weed you can grow without spending a lot, especially compared to the price of weed at the weed store. I get a 25% veteran's discount but some of the prices were $300 and up when I last checked and that was a few years ago so, yeh, don't spend it if you don't have to . :thumb:
Observation goes a long way, keep a journal and "watch" how your plant is growing !

Slight ramble courtesy of Lambs Bread :bongrip::love:

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom