MK-Ultra Hempy - C02 - 1000 Watts

Re: MK-Ultra Hempy, C02, 1000watts.

What kind of yield did you get from your largest plant last grow?

If you're certain it will increase yield, I'll have a go at it.

I didn't weight them individually, but the largest one was right around 2 oz., bloomed under 250w.

I'm 100% certain of very few things ;). It might not benefit you as much as someone growing with less wattage and/or less space, but after having seen a fair number of indoor grows, I can't think of too many indoor situations that would not benefit from it.

It would be less important with really short strains like some of the autos, or 12/12 grows from seed, but with a few larger plants, it really helps make the most of horizontal space.

If the plants are tied down carefully and the ties adjusted a bit during the grow, the canopy can be kept low and even, which helps make up for the typical lack of light penetration indoors.

You certainly did well without it on your last grow, however ;).

So you're saying LST increases yield?

I am aware of the auxins the the stimulation of side branches from topping and bending....but I've yet the see any proof that this actually increases yield. I can understand how it allows a person to grow a plant in a small space, or how to maximize light, but if there is adequate light to begin with, I don't know is LST would actually increase overall yield.

As far as topping goes, same thing.

I don't claim to be "right" on this topic...but the people I talk to, who have grown for 10-15 years tell me that topping/lst does not result in greater yield.

Lighting and C02 certainly do. LST can be used to enhance lighting, I suppose. But I've got plenty of light for 6 plants.
It's also dependent on the strain you're growing with. Some plants respond really well to LST and some don't respond as well. I know when I tied my plants down, they exploded with new growth. There were shoots forming everywhere and they were all reaching for the light. All of these tops began growing bigger buds than the popcorn that would normally grow on the lower limbs.

I'm not saying it will 100% increase your yield, but it does help balance the plant out and give you bigger buds at the bud sites. It also opens up the canopy to give better light penetration.

Just think of it this way. the bottom of a 3' plant doesn't get as much light as the top as we know light degrades the further it is away from its source. If you tie down the plant reducing its overall height to say 1', the lower buds will be receiving the same amount of light as the top is getting. It's not that big of a difference to us, but to the plant, 2ft of distance is a huge difference.

I didn't weight them individually, but the largest one was right around 2 oz., bloomed under 250w.

I'm 100% certain of very few things ;). It might not benefit you as much as someone growing with less wattage and/or less space, but after having seen a fair number of indoor grows, I can't think of too many indoor situations that would not benefit from it.

It would be less important with really short strains like some of the autos, or 12/12 grows from seed, but with a few larger plants, it really helps make the most of horizontal space.

If the plants are tied down carefully and the ties adjusted a bit during the grow, the canopy can be kept low and even, which helps make up for the typical lack of light penetration indoors.

You certainly did well without it on your last grow, however ;).

Adjusting the canopy makes all kinds of sense. I did that on my last grow....there were very few branches that weren't tied to a stake, pulled this way or that. But I never pulled the top of the plant over sideways. (which sounds like a lot of fun)

It's also dependent on the strain you're growing with. Some plants respond really well to LST and some don't respond as well. I know when I tied my plants down, they exploded with new growth. There were shoots forming everywhere and they were all reaching for the light. All of these tops began growing bigger buds than the popcorn that would normally grow on the lower limbs.

I'm not saying it will 100% increase your yield, but it does help balance the plant out and give you bigger buds at the bud sites. It also opens up the canopy to give better light penetration.

Just think of it this way. the bottom of a 3' plant doesn't get as much light as the top as we know light degrades the further it is away from its source. If you tie down the plant reducing its overall height to say 1', the lower buds will be receiving the same amount of light as the top is getting. It's not that big of a difference to us, but to the plant, 2ft of distance is a huge difference.

This also makes lots of sense. I'm going to give LST some serious consideration on this grow.

On another note, a 7th seed sprouted last night....so I'm hopeful I'll get more than the six orignial ones.

I got a nice 7 day digital timer and I must not have programmed it correctly, because my lighting schedule is all screwed up....not good.

I've decided to go 24/0 for a while to get it all sorted out, then put them under the big light in a week or two.

Adjusting the canopy makes all kinds of sense. I did that on my last grow....there were very few branches that weren't tied to a stake, pulled this way or that. But I never pulled the top of the plant over sideways. (which sounds like a lot of fun)

This also makes lots of sense. I'm going to give LST some serious consideration on this grow.

On another note, a 7th seed sprouted last night....so I'm hopeful I'll get more than the six orignial ones.

I got a nice 7 day digital timer and I must not have programmed it correctly, because my lighting schedule is all screwed up....not good.

I've decided to go 24/0 for a while to get it all sorted out, then put them under the big light in a week or two.

Totally correct about the LSTing. I've been doing it on my mother plant, trimming her back for a while (8months). Now i'm flowering her, and she drinks and eats as much as my 4 clones (they are 15 days vegged, 12 days flowering). The amount of tops are equal. If you look at the structure of the stems, you can easily see how bending the plant sideways will promote crazy tops. Every top could potentially be a top bud, with a nice even canopy. Great way to keep plants short.

It's also pretty strain specific. Oh, and, don't snap it! I've seen people "work it" back it forth, side to side to soften the stem where they're bending it. I didn't have to do this with my white widow, and i've yet to snap anything off. I suppose it depends on how woody your strain is.

It's a lot more work, but you can achieve scrog results using LST, IMO.

7 out of 10 so far.
IMG_02912.JPG

IMG_02925.JPG

IMG_02932.JPG

I count 9 viable-looking seeds in the pic where you put them in water, so you still may get one or two more late for the party.

What kind of T5 light are you using? How long are you planning to use it?

Seedlings are looking great!

I count 9 viable-looking seeds in the pic where you put them in water, so you still may get one or two more late for the party.

What kind of T5 light are you using? How long are you planning to use it?

Seedlings are looking great!

It's a hydrofarm T5, two of them joined together. They are in the blue/veg spectrum. There is also another T5 from Home Depo in the red spectrum.

I'm going to put them under a MH in a few days. I wanted to wait till the tap root hit the resevoir, which should be pretty soon.

I'm assuming they're all 48" fixtures?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better idea of your setup.

Do you have switchable ballasts that can run both MH and HPS bulbs?

The T5's are 16 inches, I believe. There are 3 of them, side by side.
The big light is a switchable ballast....and thanks for reminding me about that....I've got to make sure the switch is on MH when I turn it on in a day or so!

No surprise sprouts today....but all the others are growing and looking good.

The addition of a humidifier has helped my room immensely, because it tends to be on the dry side.

Now I've got the RH up to 70%.

congrats on the late sprout!

how are the germination cups working out?

Thanks bro!

The cups are working great. When I water them, the water just goes right in, due to the perlite, but the dirt adds a little moisture at the top and some nutrition. Very easy to work with, all the spouts are healthy.

Interestingly, the two late sprouts had the seed case still attached, and the most recent one has all the leaves inside the case....it looks like giant trichome. I'm spraying the casing to moisten it, hoping it breaks off and the plant can grown.

The other seven are very healthy.

Congrats on the new addition. Great job and hope you and yours had a wonderful and blessed Christmas...

Well, it looks like our final germination is 8 out of 10....oh well.
With the addition of a humidifier I am now able to keep my environment near perfect.

16 days after soaking seeds:

IMG_02962.JPG

It looks like soil, but don't let that fool you, the first 1/4 inch is FFOF, below that is about an inch of FFOF/Perlite 50/50....the bottom half of the cups is pure perlite. When I water, the water just disappears and runs out the drain holes, making a little resevoir from the bottom 3/4 inch of the cup. Can't over water, good oxygen.....I like it!
IMG_02972.JPG

IMG_02984.JPG

Here are the two late arrivals, nearly a week after the first 6 sprouted, these two came up.
IMG_02992.JPG

8/10 not bad, and I don't think your germination technique was at fault for the two duds.

Seedlings are looking great! Quite a disparity in size due to the late hatchers, but they are growing fast. The larger ones are are farther along than my LED babies, and you planted your seeds a few days later.

Thanks for the pics!

8/10 not bad, and I don't think your germination technique was at fault for the two duds.

Seedlings are looking great! Quite a disparity in size due to the late hatchers, but they are growing fast. The larger ones are are farther along than my LED babies, and you planted your seeds a few days later.

Thanks for the pics!

I think it's the perlite that makes them grow so well. I'm certain your LED's put out more light than my T5's. I just think the plants love the passive hydro.

I think they love it too.

I really like your mini-hempy germination cups! I may have to try that on a future grow.

When are you planning to transplant into the hempy buckets?

I was going to wait till they had seven sets of leaves before transplanting. I want a well developed root ball so I don't lose a week of growth while the roots seek the bottom.

I'm feeding with 1/2 strength "seedling" from the FF schedule. I'm not using RO at this point, and I am adding a couple drops of superthive per quart of water. It takes 1 quart to water them.

I still haven't decided whether to use the Advanced or FF once I transplant.

I have decided that I won't underfeed my plants this time!

8 out of 10, thats not bad at all. Looking nice and healthy, must be loving your soil mix. Great job + rep

Back
Top Bottom