Magenta red tint to leaves?

420hive

I have an indoor SIP grow in Flower about 3 weeks in that is turning magenta starting at the top.

I have the mother of these outside also flowering...she is not changing colors and is in a cooler environment.

I have a feeling I am under feeding the indoor girls. I use roots soil mixed with HP pro mix and EWC plus a lil lime and perlite.
Growth was great the 1st 2 weeks and then I noticed it slow...so I added some cal mag and a round of advanced nutrients at about 400ppm....I upped it to 600ppm last night after reading I should be around 1500ppm.

Any ideas or help appreciated...keep on growing strong!!

PXL_20240823_150745971.jpg

PXL_20240823_150750521.jpg

PXL_20240823_154356957.jpg

in middle of first pic, there are variegated leaves- part dark / part green. The leaf colors & variegation are both merely representative of the genetics she is carrying. Yep temp differences could easily explain why mother does not show those traits.

indoor dirt farmer using SIP’s next of kin- swick but I’ve never checked ppm’s….

the legendary @bluter can advise on AN or any other nute combo.

nice plant on the indoor chick, outdoor mom ain’t bad either, yup I’d hit that

have an indoor SIP grow in Flower about 3 weeks in that is turning magenta starting at the top.

I have the mother of these outside also flowering...she is not changing colors and is in a cooler environment.
So the purple color leaves are on plants that are clones off of the outdoor plant, right?

Purple colored leaves were popular about two years ago. Some of the Cannabis magazines that I saw in bookstores and the free ones in grow shops often had purple leafed buds on the front cover. There is a thread on this message board inviting members to post photos of their plants that have turned purple.

What lights are you using for the indoor plants and do you know if they are producing light in the red spectrum.

I have a feeling I am under feeding the indoor girls. I use roots soil mixed with HP pro mix and EWC plus a lil lime and perlite.
Growth was great the 1st 2 weeks and then I noticed it slow...so I added some cal mag and a round of advanced nutrients at about 400ppm....I upped it to 600ppm last night after reading I should be around 1500ppm.
I am not exactly sure of your soils. Is the "roots soil" something from Roots Organic? If so then the Roots Organic is the name of the company and we would need the name of the product since they make 10 or more soil mixes. And the "HP pro mix" most likely is from the Pro-Mix company and the product is their HP (stands for High Porosity).

Any ideas or help appreciated...keep on growing strong!!
Your indoor plants look like they have been growing decent up to now. There is a good chance you are underfeeding, though. Most likely the reason the plants appear to have slowed down after two weeks is that they had reached the limit of what the soil can provide on a regular basis in relation to the size of the plants. Now the plants are in flower so they are demanding even more.

As far as I can tell the most popular growing medium made by Roots Organic is their "Original Potting Soil" which is pretty close to an easy water-only soil if the plants are in a proper sized pot and have a vegetating stage of 4-5 weeks after the seedling stage and then the switch to flowering. Growers that want to push their plant can start a fertilizing schedule to be used with the Original Potting Soil after taking into account that the soil has already had fertilizer added by the company. It is pretty much a compost/dirt mix meant for that style of growing.

The Pro-Mix HP is the complete opposite. It is a blend of Peat Moss and enough coarse grade Perlite. Coarse grade is larger particles than what many gardeners normally use. This allows the water to move through the peat moss without making the peat soggy. The peat and the perlite have no nutrients to speak of that will feed the plant and none were added by the company. That mix is intended for people that grow with hydroponic methods and will be fertilizing every time they water.

Adding extra Perlite, which was already in each mix and then a "lil" lime and then putting it all together has created what some are calling a FrankenMix (as in Frankenstein or a bit of this and some of that). Makes it a bit harder to figure out which fertilizers are needed and how often. Which of the Advanced Nutrients are you using?

Thanks 013!! and Smoking Wings for the great comments and helpful feedback!!
Starting to think it may be the LED Vipar Spectra KS5000 giving these girls a LED suntan...:cool:
Advanced Nutrients PH perfect combo...Was thinking the same...under fed.....used up the soil they were transplanted into when put into the SIP 5 gallon buckets at flower flip almost 1 month ago.
Yes basically Roots potting mix with Pro mix HP added to help wicking in the SIP...some EWC..about a solo cup worth and a spoon full of dolomite lime per 5 gallon bucket. Coarse Perlite is pretty much on top of everything makes a nice white layer 1" thick on top to discourage any bugs and reflect light back.
I think they are doing better..leaves better attitudes and increasing in size on the flowers.
Nutrient bottle on AN says to go about 2ml per liter.
Thanks again...always trying to learn more to optimize the grow...Smoke em if you got em!!:hookah:

Fed these girls Wednesday 28th with about 5ml/liter each of the Advanced nutrients 3part fert. 1/2 went top feed the other 1/2 in the reservoir.
Thursday gave them 2ml/per Liter Advanced Nutrients sensi cal mag xtra
My apera multi meter might be out of range on it's PH value so I am cleaning it and re calibrating it now...it's trying to tell me my tap water is 8.2Ph.....
I am getting some yellowing and purpling then dead dry spots with mature leaves and tips of those leaves often curled twisted up...thinking PH and phosphate issue...maybe too much fert too fast...IDK Also getting some pistols changing color for no apparent reason making me think fert too heavy last time I fed...?

Trimmed the lower and mid section of my outdoor plant to help air circulation and hopefully promote more top growth...took about a gold pan worth of material off her.
She was not happy being root bound for too long indoors and under fed..but she is flourishing outside with about 6 main tops and a beautiful emerald color.

PXL_20240830_150449176.jpg

PXL_20240830_150508554.jpg

PXL_20240830_150516106.jpg

PXL_20240830_150525113.jpg

PXL_20240830_150538102.jpg

Seen this post about the led lights being too close and sunburning the leaves.
Screenshot_20240903-203919.png
Yes exactly what I am dealing with here..If it were genetic the plant outside would be even more colorful as it see's lower night time temps.
I keep the light about 18" away from the tops of my plants as the manual says I should.
I guess it's ok but has me wondering if others using a same model light experience this.....

So the purple color leaves are on plants that are clones off of the outdoor plant, right?

Purple colored leaves were popular about two years ago. Some of the Cannabis magazines that I saw in bookstores and the free ones in grow shops often had purple leafed buds on the front cover. There is a thread on this message board inviting members to post photos of their plants that have turned purple.

What lights are you using for the indoor plants and do you know if they are producing light in the red spectrum.

I am not exactly sure of your soils. Is the "roots soil" something from Roots Organic? If so then the Roots Organic is the name of the company and we would need the name of the product since they make 10 or more soil mixes. And the "HP pro mix" most likely is from the Pro-Mix company and the product is their HP (stands for High Porosity).

Your indoor plants look like they have been growing decent up to now. There is a good chance you are underfeeding, though. Most likely the reason the plants appear to have slowed down after two weeks is that they had reached the limit of what the soil can provide on a regular basis in relation to the size of the plants. Now the plants are in flower so they are demanding even more.

As far as I can tell the most popular growing medium made by Roots Organic is their "Original Potting Soil" which is pretty close to an easy water-only soil if the plants are in a proper sized pot and have a vegetating stage of 4-5 weeks after the seedling stage and then the switch to flowering. Growers that want to push their plant can start a fertilizing schedule to be used with the Original Potting Soil after taking into account that the soil has already had fertilizer added by the company. It is pretty much a compost/dirt mix meant for that style of growing.

The Pro-Mix HP is the complete opposite. It is a blend of Peat Moss and enough coarse grade Perlite. Coarse grade is larger particles than what many gardeners normally use. This allows the water to move through the peat moss without making the peat soggy. The peat and the perlite have no nutrients to speak of that will feed the plant and none were added by the company. That mix is intended for people that grow with hydroponic methods and will be fertilizing every time they water.

Adding extra Perlite, which was already in each mix and then a "lil" lime and then putting it all together has created what some are calling a FrankenMix (as in Frankenstein or a bit of this and some of that). Makes it a bit harder to figure out which fertilizers are needed and how often. Which of the Advanced Nutrients are you using?
Dolomite lime should never be topdressed. It's better to topdress with gypsum and add back Epsom to the feed since gypsum is slow release and won't affect Ca:Mg ratio negatively when broken down.

Inert mediums might be anything from perlite, vermiculite, hydroton or growstones as the most common examples. All of these can be used solely or in mixed ratios successfully. Do you regard every hydroponic medium as a Frankenmix?

I believe it's better to follow growers recommendations than manufacturers who's only after your money. It's not hard finding good information but you often need to look elsewhere for growers with more experience. Most people are very new on here while I speak with 80 year old guys who's been growing weed for 60 years on other forums.

I guess everyone get what they want depending on where someone looks? Then it's down to the grower to put everything down to practice.

Cheers!

Do you regard every hydroponic medium as a Frankenmix?
Every? No. New growers attempting to mix various growing mediums together hoping for the best the end result often is not. If they run into a problem or issue it is really hard to help. Confusion as to what was added and how much of any ingredient just makes it worse.

And, not just hydro style of grows. The same thing happens with dirt/organic/natural ingredient growing medium. I see a similar sort of mixing and matching of several different products without realizing that they are often duplicating one or more ingredients while accidentally, or sometimes deliberately, leaving out others makes for a 'non-hydro' Frankenmix.

End result is that it is hard for people to know the problem's solution. Often, the best any one person can do is make suggestions based on their own experience or what they have seen others do to solve a similar looking issue. End result is that there are five recommendations and no two are close to being the same. It just adds to the confusion and disappointment for the beginning gardener.

Is anyone else experiencing this sort of tinting with this light set up......?
I think my LED Vipar Spectra KS5000 might be the reason for the tint color of my plants.

I have another of the same clones in my veg tent under a

VIPARSPECTRA 2024 XS1500 Pro LED Grow Light​

I have it in the same medium and it is very much green.
When I look at the light seeping out the edges of unzipped Flower tent hit the ground it is the same tint of color my plants are.
A lot of red spectrum in this LED...most of the plants I have flowered take on this color tint.
The light is almost 1 year old now..my 4th cycle with it.
Picture from previous flowers...

PXL_20240118_013610083.jpg

Back
Top Bottom