Lomb's Second Grow - Organic 3 DP Skywalker Haze under 110w COB

lombrigafumante

Hey everyone, it's such a pleasure to come back here! It's been 4 years since my first grow (on my signature) as I was unable to keep growing while living with mom lol. Now that I'm in uni and living in a different city I'm finally able to return!

So this time I'm doing three feminized photoperiod Skywalker Haze girls from Dutch Passion on my 2x2, basically the same growing gear, 2x Clu-048 Citizen running at 55w each and 3500K spectrum (still plan to get that third one lol or perhaps upgrading to a QB), a nice Soler & Palau exhaust that unfortunately broke the tip during storage but still works well, starter light mix soil for seedlings, and a complete supersoil from a very trusted local producer called Zion Farms.

I still don't know if I will grow all the three gals on the 2x2 to the end or if I'll build a second small tent on the cheaper side for clones and vegging and keep one or two girls there and the others to flower, gonna make this call after seeing they grow a little. Probably would be better to just germinate one as I'm kinda broke right now lol but I couldn't hold myself. They are in 200ml plastic cups right now as I want to follow the How to Properly Water a Potted Plant guide more closely and see if up-potting really makes a difference. They are under a weak 9w 6500K standard household light lamp right now on 24/0 just for germinating, will turn the big lights on when I see some actual true leaves. I used the same germination method from the last time, something around 12-24h on a glass of water and to the pre-soaked soil afterwards. Lis (the only above the soil right now) was started 2 days before the others.

As in the last time I already started with a few dumb mistakes. Lis received the golden treatment and showed her face today. She was born a little confused about growing directions and started a lil twisty but I watched her slowly shedding the seed husk and tryng to go up along the day so I think she'll make it just fine! But about the other 2, the top right one was slightly crushed on accident after removal from the water glass and the bottom one's soil dryed up too much on the first day as I had to go to my old city for a couple days and the friend I trusted with them didn't do this one justice. Right now they are in seemingly perfect conditions at 23-27 Celsius temp and 65-80% RH, let's see how they grow out.

Here's Lis at day 0, all lost but finally starting to stand up. Her germination started 4 days ago.
1723005514521.jpeg

And here's the full grow. The seeds on the silvery thingy were planted 2 days ago and didn't show up yet.

1723005806496.jpeg

And finally, I would like to dedicate this journal to the memory of Pennywise. I was shocked to find out recently that he passed away, as he followed through my first grow from start to harvest and gave me some crucial advice on my first grow. Pennywise was a very active, helpful and overall amazing grower to have here on the 420mag community. Hope he's in peace wherever he is.

Hey everyone, it's such a pleasure to come back here! It's been 4 years since my first grow (on my signature) as I was unable to keep growing while living with mom lol. Now that I'm in uni and living in a different city I'm finally able to return!

So this time I'm doing three feminized photoperiod Skywalker Haze girls from Dutch Passion on my 2x2, basically the same growing gear, 2x Clu-048 Citizen running at 55w each and 3500K spectrum (still plan to get that third one lol or perhaps upgrading to a QB), a nice Soler & Palau exhaust that unfortunately broke the tip during storage but still works well, starter light mix soil for seedlings, and a complete supersoil from a very trusted local producer called Zion Farms.

I still don't know if I will grow all the three gals on the 2x2 to the end or if I'll build a second small tent on the cheaper side for clones and vegging and keep one or two girls there and the others to flower, gonna make this call after seeing they grow a little. Probably would be better to just germinate one as I'm kinda broke right now lol but I couldn't hold myself. They are in 200ml plastic cups right now as I want to follow the How to Properly Water a Potted Plant guide more closely and see if up-potting really makes a difference. They are under a weak 9w 6500K standard household light lamp right now on 24/0 just for germinating, will turn the big lights on when I see some actual true leaves. I used the same germination method from the last time, something around 12-24h on a glass of water and to the pre-soaked soil afterwards. Lis (the only above the soil right now) was started 2 days before the others.

As in the last time I already started with a few dumb mistakes. Lis received the golden treatment and showed her face today. She was born a little confused about growing directions and started a lil twisty but I watched her slowly shedding the seed husk and tryng to go up along the day so I think she'll make it just fine! But about the other 2, the top right one was slightly crushed on accident after removal from the water glass and the bottom one's soil dryed up too much on the first day as I had to go to my old city for a couple days and the friend I trusted with them didn't do this one justice. Right now they are in seemingly perfect conditions at 23-27 Celsius temp and 65-80% RH, let's see how they grow out.

Here's Lis at day 0, all lost but finally starting to stand up. Her germination started 4 days ago.
1723005514521.jpeg

And here's the full grow. The seeds on the silvery thingy were planted 2 days ago and didn't show up yet.

1723005806496.jpeg

And finally, I would like to dedicate this journal to the memory of Pennywise. I was shocked to find out recently that he passed away, as he followed through my first grow from start to harvest and gave me some crucial advice on my first grow. Pennywise was a very active, helpful and overall amazing grower to have here on the 420mag community. Hope he's in peace wherever he is.
He is missed. :Namaste:
Good start, nice to see you again my friend. :passitleft:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

so here's lis at day 1. she didn't show any noticeable growth and stretched a little too much for my taste. so i figured she wanted more light, and just turned my fixture on at 2 feet away, like the last time. temps and rh remain around the same, lights 24/0 right now
lisdia1.jpg

the sad part is that i changed the fan on the cob active exhaust and to test if it was working i frigging turned the fixture on while it was literally against the table, and thats the result. lost a row of diodes on the left citizen. unfortunately i dont have access to any reliable way to test the light intensity to measure the actual damage, but im sure ive lost some light. I'm gonna change the left citizen chip as soon as i can afford to but idk if i should change the right one too just for safety. if any one around here knows a little about COB lightning and could give me some advice, it would be very helpful! here's the reflection on a nintendo ds to show the burned row lol and the damage this damned thing did to my table 😭🥴

luzqueimada.jpg

mesa queimmada.jpg

so as you can see we're not in the best start possible lol i really don't know if i can pull a similar result to the first time as even though i'm more experienced i have way less time and money to spend on this than before, i'm in a very different context from the pandemic days with my mom that i had literally nothing to do. anyway, we keep going, mistakes are good teachers. good or bad this grow surely is going to be thrilling! biggest challenge now is to avoid anxiety and keeping things calm and organized to eliminate or at least reduce the dumb mistakes rate as it's pretty high right now :lot-o-toke:

and thx @Bill284 for stopping by! always nice to have a more experienced grower around

so here's lis at day 1. she didn't show any noticeable growth and stretched a little too much for my taste. so i figured she wanted more light, and just turned my fixture on at 2 feet away, like the last time. temps and rh remain around the same, lights 24/0 right now
lisdia1.jpg

the sad part is that i changed the fan on the cob active exhaust and to test if it was working i frigging turned the fixture on while it was literally against the table, and thats the result. lost a row of diodes on the left citizen. unfortunately i dont have access to any reliable way to test the light intensity to measure the actual damage, but im sure ive lost some light. I'm gonna change the left citizen chip as soon as i can afford to but idk if i should change the right one too just for safety. if any one around here knows a little about COB lightning and could give me some advice, it would be very helpful! here's the reflection on a nintendo ds to show the burned row lol and the damage this damned thing did to my table 😭🥴

luzqueimada.jpg

mesa queimmada.jpg

so as you can see we're not in the best start possible lol i really don't know if i can pull a similar result to the first time as even though i'm more experienced i have way less time and money to spend on this than before, i'm in a very different context from the pandemic days with my mom that i had literally nothing to do. anyway, we keep going, mistakes are good teachers. good or bad this grow surely is going to be thrilling! biggest challenge now is to avoid anxiety and keeping things calm and organized to eliminate or at least reduce the dumb mistakes rate as it's pretty high right now :lot-o-toke:

and thx @Bill284 for stopping by! always nice to have a more experienced grower around
2 things come to mind, first there's an app you can get for your phone to measure light.
It'll tell you approximately how much is left.
Second and most importantly, what really comes to mind is the safety factor here.
I had a new light explode and catch my house on fire.
It was my first sponsor, opened the box and hung a bran new LED and set it to low.
Then the driver caught fire and ignited the room!
Do you have another light?
And a smoke detector.
I don't want to seem like a downer but I might get a new light.
Check this thread out then decide.
I can't read it anymore , the pics give me ptsd.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

2 things come to mind, first there's an app you can get for your phone to measure light.
It'll tell you approximately how much is left.
Second and most importantly, what really comes to mind is the safety factor here.
I had a new light explode and catch my house on fire.
It was my first sponsor, opened the box and hung a bran new LED and set it to low.
Then the driver caught fire and ignited the room!
Do you have another light?
And a smoke detector.
I don't want to seem like a downer but I might get a new light.
Check this thread out then decide.
I can't read it anymore , the pics give me ptsd.

Stay safe
Bill284
wow bill sorry to hear that friend. a fire hazard situation deserves a lot of caution, but unfortunately i can't afford a smoke detector at all nor i would be able to install it since i live on a rented room. about the lights, i do plan to get a new one but this isn't possible on short term. after september i'm gonna start working at a local agriculture facility and have a lil more cash thank god.
i got my eye on a used vivosun vs1000 for a lot cheaper than usual. we dont get a lot of growing LEDs varieties around here so brand fixtures like this are kinda rare, and it has lm301h chips, most qbs i see are 281b's

but i'd like to provide some more info to you perhaps u can give me a little more insight about how dangerous this is. first of all it's a pretty small tent (2x2) sitting on a relatively large room. the leds aren't that strong (55w each 110w total) and each chip is running at half of the maximum possible current. there's no overcharge of the power outlets, they can handle up to 10A and the total drawn amount is around 7A total, Ive got a fuse on the power strip and another one directly on the lights to kill any possible surge. the table burned like this because the chips were touching it when I turned it on to change the cooler, and I'm watching to see if anything unusual like flickering or smth happens to them, but everything is stable for now. temps on a hand check seem cool even very close to them. my only other option until i can get a new one would be the beginning 9w lamp 🙃

about the girls, both of the others showed up today! (08/08/24). here's nat and janus (with the helmet on) at day 0! gonna let her shed it just like the other ones did
lis is going fine too! growing good
IMG_20240809_004622091.jpg

IMG-20240808-WA0016.jpg
IMG_20240809_005009639.jpg
IMG_20240809_031622793.jpg

wow bill sorry to hear that friend. a fire hazard situation deserves a lot of caution, but unfortunately i can't afford a smoke detector at all nor i would be able to install it since i live on a rented room. about the lights, i do plan to get a new one but this isn't possible on short term. after september i'm gonna start working at a local agriculture facility and have a lil more cash thank god.
i got my eye on a used vivosun vs1000 for a lot cheaper than usual. we dont get a lot of growing LEDs varieties around here so brand fixtures like this are kinda rare, and it has lm301h chips, most qbs i see are 281b's

but i'd like to provide some more info to you perhaps u can give me a little more insight about how dangerous this is. first of all it's a pretty small tent (2x2) sitting on a relatively large room. the leds aren't that strong (55w each 110w total) and each chip is running at half of the maximum possible current. there's no overcharge of the power outlets, they can handle up to 10A and the total drawn amount is around 7A total, Ive got a fuse on the power strip and another one directly on the lights to kill any possible surge. the table burned like this because the chips were touching it when I turned it on to change the cooler, and I'm watching to see if anything unusual like flickering or smth happens to them, but everything is stable for now. temps on a hand check seem cool even very close to them. my only other option until i can get a new one would be the beginning 9w lamp 🙃

about the girls, both of the others showed up today! (08/08/24). here's nat and janus (with the helmet on) at day 0! gonna let her shed it just like the other ones did
lis is going fine too! growing good
IMG_20240809_004622091.jpg

IMG-20240808-WA0016.jpg
IMG_20240809_005009639.jpg
IMG_20240809_031622793.jpg
Happy birthday my friend :thumb: all 3 above ground. :woohoo:
A drop of water on the seed case helps it fall off.
A battery operated smoke detector is cheap my friend.
As far as risk I can't assess that.
But my light was new and set to low and the driver melted and blew up.
I was there and saved the house and pets, fortunately.
Yours might be fine I can't say for sure.
I just don't want you having an issue. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Happy birthday my friend :thumb: all 3 above ground. :woohoo:
A drop of water on the seed case helps it fall off.
A battery operated smoke detector is cheap my friend.
As far as risk I can't assess that.
But my light was new and set to low and the driver melted and blew up.
I was there and saved the house and pets, fortunately.
Yours might be fine I can't say for sure.
I just don't want you having an issue. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
wow you're right i just checked and they are cheap asf! thx for the insight my friend, sometimes we can assume things are more complicated than they are and get into problems that could be avoided with simple precautions like this. i'm just gonna research a little about their sensibility bc the tent is in my dorm and i dont wanna this thing screaming everything i burn a J lol

wow you're right i just checked and they are cheap asf! thx for the insight my friend, sometimes we can assume things are more complicated than they are and get into problems that could be avoided with simple precautions like this. i'm just gonna research a little about their sensibility bc the tent is in my dorm and i dont wanna this thing screaming everything i burn a J lol
Grab a battery operated one and start saving for a fire extinguisher.
You should have both regardless. :Namaste:
My apologies if I sound like a busted record.
Hopefully nothing ever happens but just in case it’s a good to have.
Ok back to the babies did she drop her helmet yet?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Grab a battery operated one and start saving for a fire extinguisher.
You should have both regardless. :Namaste:
My apologies if I sound like a busted record.
Hopefully nothing ever happens but just in case it’s a good to have.
no need to apologize bill ur warning me about a very very important thing that is safety and unfortunately you had to figure that out the hard way. i'm researching smoke detectors and prolly going to get one as soon as i pay my credit card bill. a fire extinguisher would be a good addition not only for the grow but for the house since we live in a frigging wooden house lol, perhaps i can share the expense with my roomies or even talk to my landlord but i doubt i can get anything from him since he's a massive cheapskate and generally a rude person. anyway im gonna take every precaution i can.

Ok back to the babies did she drop her helmet yet?
no but she's making progress, slowly opening her mind :hippy:
she grew up a lil higher through the night and slided out a little from the husk, also sprayed her slightly on the stream mode to help her out

janusdia1.jpg
and since were already here, here are the other girls. lis is starting to work on a still teeny tiny second node not even visible on the pic, and nat is growing quickly her first one. i'm not using this weak ass 9w lamp to start seeds again, lis stretched far more than her sisters born under the COBs.

lis at day 2
lisdia2.jpg

nat at day 1
natdia1certo.jpg

and today i plan to switch to 20/4 to give them a little rest since they all worked a fair bit to see the world above ground. i'm wanting to research a little more about possible photoperiods since it seens like there isnt a full consensus about that. i'm interested on the 12/1/12 (waking plants on the middle of their night for an hour to prevent flowering) method for veg that ive seen applied on an emylia green journal here with success and alternate periods for the flowering phase like 14/10>12/12>10/14 that seens to be related with a higher yield and cannabinoid percentage on a paper that i read

update time!! i left yesterday to my old city for father's day and gonna be out til monday, but i left clearer instructions for my roomie and im chill with that. afterall for now all they need is their feet always wet (atleast that is the way i know if its incorrect i would gladly change my scheme)
theyve got rest yesterday/today at 00h. i decided to postpone the light schedule change to 20/4 a little to let janus get a full day to photosynthetize since she just got rid of her helmet! here she is at day 1 (10/08)
IMG_20240810_131704078.jpg

the pics of the other girls were kinda shitty bc i was on a hurry to get my ride, but they haven't changed much. the true leaves were just a little bigger. i noticed my first plant was growing a little faster but it isnt that big of a difference to worry. perhaps its bc i started directly on the cobs last time, perhaps genetics, perhaps the soil... anyway theyre fine and on a decent size considering their newborn status. so thats about it for now

update time!! i left yesterday to my old city for father's day and gonna be out til monday, but i left clearer instructions for my roomie and im chill with that. afterall for now all they need is their feet always wet (atleast that is the way i know if its incorrect i would gladly change my scheme)
theyve got rest yesterday/today at 00h. i decided to postpone the light schedule change to 20/4 a little to let janus get a full day to photosynthetize since she just got rid of her helmet! here she is at day 1 (10/08)
IMG_20240810_131704078.jpg

the pics of the other girls were kinda shitty bc i was on a hurry to get my ride, but they haven't changed much. the true leaves were just a little bigger. i noticed my first plant was growing a little faster but it isnt that big of a difference to worry. perhaps its bc i started directly on the cobs last time, perhaps genetics, perhaps the soil... anyway theyre fine and on a decent size considering their newborn status. so thats about it for now
When they are that small I use a turkey baster from the dollar store to water in a circle around them to get the roots to grow out.
If it's soil doesn't water every day.
Let some air in by waiting a day it's better for the roots
Good work so far.
Happy Father's Day, enjoy your trip :theband:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

hello again i forgot to update here the past couple days but here they are!!
by size there is Lis (7 days) > Nat (6 days) > Janus 5 days (relative to 14/08/24)
IMG_20240814_125651895.jpg

i let them get sunshine for an hour at noon and they absolutely loved it! all three raised their arms to the sun, i did take a pic afterwards but my cellphone is a little crazy and restarted by himself and it vanished 😭
i simply needed to let them see the sun, at least when they are small and not screaming LOOK I AM A BIGASS WEED PLANT FROM APARTMENT 1 🤣🤣
climate was perfect at this time with ~26°C and ~55%RH .

When they are that small I use a turkey baster from the dollar store to water in a circle around them to get the roots to grow out.
If it's soil doesn't water every day.
Let some air in by waiting a day it's better for the roots
Good work so far.
Happy Father's Day, enjoy your trip :theband:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
also i thought about you said here and let their soil dry for a while. they were visibly grateful, i remembered that we should keep them a little on the wet side at this stage but i guess i was mistaken, so i'm gonna keep regular wet/dry cycles from now on.

and on the weekend they had to endure a big temperature drop bc of a sudden climate change, it was 9°C outside at night and around 15°C on the tent, but i didnt notice any changes.

lastly here's a pic of the three of them at 13/08/24 to show the difference in stretch
IMG_20240813_230815947.jpg

and a cute baby janus pic at day 0 (09/08/24) almost getting her face fully out of the shell. i found this process of a seedling fighting her way out of the ground and out of the husk that just was her safe place and became a choking hazard really poetic and beautiful to watch. also cool that it happens quite quickly considering plant speeds and u can notice a difference every couple hours or so
IMG_20240809_213508973.jpg

and thats it for now i guess until later 420mag :passitleft: :hippy:

also a thought, my last girl was a LOT bigger by this age, ive attached a couple pics of her at 8 days old on the bottom of the post for reference

could this be from genetic difference only? same grow, same lights, very similar conditions like climate and light schedules...

the only differences i can think about from the last time are the plant itself, the burnt led strip, the soil, pot size and an organic root growth fertilizer thing i didnt use this time.
the stretch makes me think about light intensity, but it happened mostly under the weak light from the beggining and the lux meter app is hitting around 7000 which even counting a wide margin of error should be enough for a seedling from what i read. perhaps i should try to lower the ballast a little? any other ideas to help them fulfill their maximum potential?

IMG_20200627_222645915.jpg

Screenshot_20240815-013000~2.png

also a thought, my last girl was a LOT bigger by this age, ive attached a couple pics of her at 8 days old on the bottom of the post for reference

could this be from genetic difference only? same grow, same lights, very similar conditions like climate and light schedules...

the only differences i can think about from the last time are the plant itself, the burnt led strip, the soil, pot size and an organic root growth fertilizer thing i didnt use this time.
the stretch makes me think about light intensity, but it happened mostly under the weak light from the beggining and the lux meter app is hitting around 7000 which even counting a wide margin of error should be enough for a seedling from what i read. perhaps i should try to lower the ballast a little? any other ideas to help them fulfill their maximum potential?

IMG_20200627_222645915.jpg

Screenshot_20240815-013000~2.png
Good morning Buddy. :ciao:
If they get leggy you can bring the light closer, slow down the stretching.
Healthy and growing well though. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

oops i hit enter by accident yesterday and forgot to continue :cough: but im gonna go from here. clockwise from left janus - nat - lis
1725224413301.jpeg

a side pic to show height and internodal space difference. nat has a quite even and nice internodal space, janus is ok too, lis is very tight with less ramification for now and a long hypocotyl due to the early stretch on the weak lights.
1725227206326.jpeg

i transplanted them to these 1 gallon fabric pots 6 days ago, at 25/08/2024. they didnt react so well at first and stunted and drooped a little for a couple days, but they seem to have pumped it up again. heres janus (first) and nat (second) root mass at the transplant. i forgot to take a pic of lis feet but her rootball was the smallest even though she was the biggest plant at the point.
1725227501154.jpeg

1725227532643.jpeg

they also had some issues that im gonna discuss on the next reply as this one is kinda long already :lot-o-toke:

so the issues. a few days before transplant after i was letting them on the sun for a little some critters attacked them a little. small damage mostly but i saw a whitefly and a leafhopper, put a yellow sticky trap and in fact catched the leafhopper and as i havent been putting them out anymore i didnt notice any more signs of their presence. also ive noticed a drop in overall vigor after the transplant but it seems to be better now. ive made a mix of 1/2 pure supersoil on the bottom and a 50-50 mix of the supersoil and the starter soil on the top

here's some damage ive noticed on lis. i havent noticed any recent ones so i guess it was leafhopper bites
1725227729693.jpeg

some damage on a lower leaf im not sure about
1725227813852.jpeg

damage on nat's leaves, started after transplant
1725228121067.jpeg

a hole in another of her leaves that i cant identify the cause
1725228390767.jpeg

a little damage on her new growth. also following it a buggy leaf with only 3 digits from her last node
1725228443020.jpeg

1725228512033.jpeg

but still with those issues she seems to be the most vigorous plant. i can notice development day by day and she's consistently praying with her leaves just a little upward facing. idk if i should worry or if it's just a reaction of the transplant that will fade away by itself. other variables i can think about is the photoperiod, that went messed up for 3 days or so bc i accidentaly set my timer to turn on at 4 pm instead of 4 am :cheesygrinsmiley:. janus even showed off a single pistil bc of that but the situation is fixed. about watering, i saturated the new container after transplant and they drinked it good after drooping for the first 2 days. i gave a quart more to each yesterday to keep the soil alive like emilya recommends on living soils and they seem fine other than the said issues. temps and rh also been reasonable at like 23-28C 50-65% RH at day and 15-20C 40-50% RH at night

and to finish it, i would like some advice on training. i started with LST on Janus bc im already familiar with it and shes the shorter plant but i wanna to experiment a little, like doing a manifold on another (thinking nat for the strong ramification tendencies and long internodal spaces) and a quadline or a FIM based training on the other (lis needs a direct way to break apical tendency as she has the tightest nodes and least growth on new tips). as im doing 3 plants on a 2x2 square im thinking about letting the top two grow in a more circular, bushy pattern and the bottom one opened in a Y like manner to cover the bottom half more easily. any advice on that would be apreciated!

so quick update, ive started their training and added some dry bamboo leaves from a local river i went to on this weekend as mulch. lis was fimmed yesterday (03/09/24) and nat was topped three days ago (01/09/24) and stripped of her bottom nodes yesterday. i've decided to start with the topping unlike the quadsquad thread suggests bc it makes way more sense to me, less energy wasted on a unused part of the plant and more photosynthetical area available to accelerate recovery from the most traumatic change (the topping), but i might be wrong, just went with my logic.

they seem to be reacting fine, 2 days after topping nat kinda stopped but she seems to be back on track, noticed some small leaf growth since topping. I've yet to decide who is gonna be the half tent plant as I plan to grow 2 of them in a more circular shape on the top corners and the other split in a big Y to cover the other half. probably gonna be janus or nat as janus is reacting wonderfully to the LST and a quadline emphasizing the X-axis more than the Y-axis seems to be a good design for my desired grow organization.
at last, pics of them from today!

20240904_161019.jpg

the three of 'em

20240904_160932.jpg
20240904_161001.jpg

nat with her quadline foundation built

20240904_160623.jpg
20240904_160648.jpg
lis with her FIM tip. hopefully i (haven't) missed!

20240904_160955.jpg

and janus my lil beautiful rope bunny working hard on her new shoots

Back
Top Bottom