Leaf problems mid flower.

Zora21

Hi I've tried looking into this problem that has developed over the last week and a half. I actually caught it early and thought it was calcium but after giving the plant effected calcium, there wasn't much change.

I'm stuck between calcium deficiency, something to do with light intensity possibly, or overfed in some way. I'm not sure if too much light can even cause this though.

It's only effecting the tallest plant but it's effecting it all over but it is worse in the parts directly under the light.

1000001172.jpg

1000001108.jpg

I think you might have a little light/heat stress going on. If it's not that, It's either a P or K problem, looks like it is getting enough N. Try either raising or dimming your light. If no more leaves show similar signs, then you'll know.
Definitely going to try moving the light a bit again and see if I can't at least slow it's need for nutrients. Hopefully that will help in the meantime, everything is doing quite well so I'd hate to mess up here. Thanks for the response!

That's more of a K issue than Ca.

What's your nutrient program look like?
Okay so I may need to feed again, I thought I was done for the rest of the grow tbh. Like 1.5 weeks ago I top fed 3 tbs of dry amendments per gallon of medium(5gal).

75% pridelands bloom(2-5-5) from green gro biologicals and the other 25% was gaia green veg(4-4-4).

Using recharge, with natures brix(magnesium and dry molasses), and green aminos(calcium and amino acid supplements) from green gro as a tea. Most waterings are coming from ac infinity self watering bases atm. Plants getting a tea at least every 7 days.

Heat and light stress for me looks like leaves curling "canoe style" which I don't see on your plant, but I've gotten the issue you have and it was definitely K for me.

Check out the 'Problem Solver' link in my sig.

I've tried looking into this problem that has developed over the last week and a half. I actually caught it early and thought it was calcium but after giving the plant effected calcium, there wasn't much change.
First impression is that the plant is showing signs of a Calcium deficiency. Nothing showing that would indicate that there is a problem caused by the lights.

....but after giving the plant effected calcium, there wasn't much change.
You have to keep in mind that often the signs showing the damage done by most deficiencies or other problems will not go away. The damage has been done. Often it is still best to keep the damaged leaf on the plant because photosynthesis is still happening in the parts that are not damaged.

What you will see happening after supplying a fertilizer or amendment is that the problem does not seem to be spreading or getting worse. And, very importantly you should notice that the new growth or new leaves no longer shows the signs of the problem. This can take two and sometimes as long as 3 or 4 weeks.

It's only effecting the tallest plant but it's effecting it all over but it is worse in the parts directly under the light.
Calcium is not a mobile nutrient. It often is first on lists of immobile nutrients. This means that the plant cannot take existing Calcium in an older leaf and move it to a newer leaf that needs that particular nutrient.

It is very possible that the tallest plant is the most affected because there is so much more new plant material in that area. If the root system cannot get the amounts of nutrients it needs through the root system it often shows first in the most recent growth.

Also, signs of most immobile nutrient problems will first show in new growth.

Have you considered transplanting into a larger container to give the root system more room to draw nutrients from?

Good morning,its best to have a good a good supply of CA well before flowering as stated above its an immobile element and usually the deficiencies start at the bottom of the plant so if you're scoping frequently or inspection on a regular basis you can catch them early! I use Potassium sulfate right after stretch again like stated above it looks like a K issue to me to as well.
I usually start at ph, just to be sure im not missing something but thats what I do Hope you get it fixed! ✌️

...usually the deficiencies start at the bottom of the plant so if you're scoping frequently or inspection on a regular basis you can catch them early!
Mobile nutrient deficiencies, like Nitrogen or Potassium will often show first on lower leaves when the plant starts to take the N or K to move it to the newer leaves.

An immobile nutrient deficiency tends to show in the area where it is needed since the plant cannot pull what it needs from existing leaves.

I thought I was done for the rest of the grow tbh.
I tried that several years ago. It didn't work out well;) for some of the flowering plants.

The plant should be fed until the end or harvest time. I figure it is safe to stop fertilizing the last week and just water but till then keep maintaining the fertilizing schedule.

If you thought the plant was demanding feeding up to now just wait until it is in a full flowering stage. At that time not only do the existing leaves still need nutrients but all those flower buds are demanding their share.

Mobile nutrient deficiencies, like Nitrogen or Potassium will often show first on lower leaves when the plant starts to take the N or K to move it to the newer leaves.

An immobile nutrient deficiency tends to show in the area where it is needed since the plant cannot pull what it needs from existing leaves.
Thanks for all of the wisdom! This is definitely part of the reason I assumed calcium as it's mainly the top of the plant which is unfortunate because now it's a bit of an eye sore in the tent. I have now have another feeding of calcium in hopes to slow the damage.

No other plant has the deficiency like this but I guess this cultivar is just calcium feeder.

Day 36 of flower pictures. The first plant on the left you can probably see it more.
1000001173.jpg

1000001171.jpg
1000001167.jpg
1000001169.jpg

I tried that several years ago. It didn't work out well;) for some of the flowering plants.

The plant should be fed until the end or harvest time. I figure it is safe to stop fertilizing the last week and just water but till then keep maintaining the fertilizing schedule.

If you thought the plant was demanding feeding up to now just wait until it is in a full flowering stage. At that time not only do the existing leaves still need nutrients but all those flower buds are demanding their share.
I was hoping I could just water all the way through haha. This is my first time using dry amendments so I've definitely had my issues.

So m technically at the end of week 5 maybe I can have my last feeding the beginning or end of week 6

First impression is that the plant is showing signs of a Calcium deficiency. Nothing showing that would indicate that there is a problem caused by the lights.
Calcium would present more as small yellow spots scattered across the leaves that then turned bronze as they dried out, not as consistently yellow spots on the leaf edges like in the first couple of Zora21's pics. That's K. Doesn't mean that low calcium isn't locking something else out though.

@Zora21 do you have a refractometer by chance? That could give us a more definitive idea on the calcium.

I'd agree that it doesn't look like a light issue, at least to me.

Back
Top Bottom