Just looking for some advice

Coastal Dharma

Hello all!

I am new to growing (Second grow). So all i ask is everyone be polite and if you have nothing constructive to say I respectfully ask that you don't comment. Growing is my "Happy Place" while i take care of my Dad who's sick(Cancer). And Continue on my recovery from addiction(8 months sober with a couple slips). So please. No bad vibes. So far this forum has been full of AMAZING people :Namaste: :love:

So my plants have been doing quite well. Im done training them laterally and am going to start letting them just reach up now.

They are on day 15 of flower and are doing quite well. I run them under a Mars Hydro FC-6500, in 5 gal fabric pots, Pro-Mix HP(I like the Mycorrhizae). Ive got a 350CFM inline fan with a carbon filter for ventilation out and another identical set-up with a carbon filter for ventilation in(Speed controllers on both so i can keep a slight negative pressure inside my tent). I water every 3-4 days as thats when they're drying out to the point i believe they should.(From the research i've done I think soil should get fairly dry to let the roots really reach/grow). That being said i dont let them get bone dry throughout. (top couple inches dry at the latest means water time). I have 2 "Granddaddy Purple", 2 "Oregan Peach", and 1 "Do-Si-Do".

I have been feeding on just about every watering lately but keeping it at about 50% recommended nute strength(Nutrient/water @ around 500-700ppm) and PH 5.8-6.2(My runoff is around 7 so i'm bringing it down).

Also: I had a branch partially break that went un-noticed(I train fairly aggressively just before flower and pushed one a little too hard). So far that branch that had the partial tear has been producing early bud growth like the rest im just wondering if there is anything i should do around the tear or anything like that. Obviously i will be keeping an eye on it for possibly herming on me.

The pics i put up will be like so:
-BLUE checks are day 11 of flowering looking happy.

-Partial branch breaks will be obvious
-Pics from today will be of plants with no blue check marks.

My plan today is to give them a good full feed around 1000-1100ppm @ 5.8-6.0 PH.

Any constructive advice is welcome! Thank you all! Hope you're all safe/healthy and appreciating this wonderful gift
called life:Namaste::love::love::love:

https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-hp-mycorrhizae/

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_9048.jpg

IMG_9050.jpg

IMG_9049.jpg

Your “ tear” is healing fine it appears to me, just leave it and a knot will form and that branch will be solid. I have masking tape holding 5 or more branches together where I snapped them . They are all fine now . Just my 2 cents
I applaud you for taking measures to make medicine for your parent. My father passed away early 2019 and when I started it was for him . Everything I do now is in his memory . Cancer is a bitch, I hate it took away at least 10 years of life from my father. There’s not a day that goes bye rhat I don’t remember him In some way

First, it's totally unnecessary to be pH'ing you nutrient solution in Pro-Mix, and measuring the pH of your runoff is insignificant. You'd actually have to do a slurry test to get any meaningful result.

If your runoff ppm is significantly higher than your input, you likely have some nute build up in your Pro-Mix. For a 5 gallon containers, I'd likely run 3 gallons of plain tap water through them followed by a gallon of full strength feed. So you're putting 4 gallons through them and only the last gallon has feed in it. That should get rid of any build up and reset the N-P-K to your intended targets. I like to call that process a Rinse and Reset.

Your “ tear” is healing fine it appears to me, just leave it and a knot will form and that branch will be solid. I have masking tape holding 5 or more branches together where I snapped them . They are all fine now . Just my 2 cents
I applaud you for taking measures to make medicine for your parent. My father passed away early 2019 and when I started it was for him . Everything I do now is in his memory . Cancer is a bitch, I hate it took away at least 10 years of life from my father. There’s not a day that goes bye rhat I don’t remember him In some way
My heart goes out to you. :love:

It's a horrible thing to witness but all i can do is support him and take care of myself in the meantime.

Thanks for the advice and the kind words.

First, it's totally unnecessary to be pH'ing you nutrient solution in Pro-Mix.

If your runoff ppm is significantly higher than your input, you likely have some nute build up in your Pro-Mix. For a 5 gallon containers, I'd likely run 3 gallons of plain tap water through them followed by a gallon of full strength feed. So you're putting 4 gallons through them and only the last gallon has feed in it. That should get rid of any build up and reset the N-P-K to your intended targets. I like to call that process a Rinse and Reset.
I like the way that sounds! but not PH'ing my carbon filtered water??? I had too high soil PH before and it was a problem. Mind you that was a whole different situation with fox farms "ocean garbage"(Not really bad soil. I was just a noob and overfed the hell out of them :laughtwo:)

First, it's totally unnecessary to be pH'ing you nutrient solution in Pro-Mix, and measuring the pH of your runoff is insignificant. You'd actually have to do a slurry test to get any meaningful result.

I really like this idea though!!! Get rid of the salts and then leave some nute's at the end!

I really like this idea though!!! Get rid of the salts and then leave some nute's at the end!

I do it a couple time a grow. Normally when I flip, then somewhere mid bloom, then again with about two weeks left to go.

I like the way that sounds! but not PH'ing my carbon filtered water??? I had too high soil PH before and it was a problem. Mind you that was a whole different situation with fox farms "ocean garbage"(Not really bad soil. I was just a noob and overfed the hell out of them :laughtwo:)

How were you testing the pH to determine that it was high? @InTheShed has a link to the "Do we need to be adjusting our nutrient solution" thread on his signature. The short answer is No, for soil and buffered Soil-less mixes (ie Pro-Mix). Water alkalinity and the types of Nitrogen in your fertilizer are hundreds of times more powerful than a few drop of acid or base in your feed. My guess is the pH problem you experienced had more to do with your feeding regime rather than pH of your inputs. I'm in year 3 of ditching the pH pen. It's a wonderful thing. Saves time and money.

My advice is of course a little different.

I am forever going to ph my bites. Two big runs where the ph went off because the "buffer" Essentially broke down. Causing my plants to have soil issues, are use pro mix as well. She'd can explain the science of it better than I can But for me I just feel it lessens the weight on the buffer so it doesn't have so much fluctuation. If you will.
So far this round I am PH prior to feeding and I have no issues. So for me in my experience with pro mix and using mega crap nutrients I break the buffer sometimes. So I go to pH always.
Have you done a slurry test?
For breaks of stems and branches I use tape. It just pops open as it heals and grows. I too would take that green support you have us it does look like it's breaking through the stem. I would also go and get some sugar cane poles and use those as your support for your branches you just use the twist ties to secure them.

Lowering ph of the input water isn’t actually how to correct it anyway. Pro mix recommends acidic based nitrogen to counter the alkaline

“Therefore, if your water has high alkalinity, a fertilizer that has a higher ratio of ammonium to nitrate can be used to minimize pH climb in a growing medium. Also, as a rule, most calcium-based fertilizers are alkaline and cause the pH of the growing medium to increase even if the water goes through a reverse osmosis unit.”

Back
Top Bottom