January 2016 - Outdoor Grow

Breaking News, a tragedy to report... 1 out of the batch of 4 met a violent end, I pulled it up. I wasn't going to have sub-par bag weed making my grow look bad, as if I don't do that well enough on my own.:blalol: But the deal with it was that it didn't develop above the cotyledons as to where the other 3 had already came on with it. So, I guess what I'm really trying to say is I'm down to an even 20. I can't afford to lose another at this point. The remaining 20 are growing according to schedule, so I believe I'll still have all of them up til time of sexing. Everything looks normal now. I'll share updated pics sometime this weekend.:cheesygrinsmiley:

Out with the weak!

I know the feeling of getting rid of the ones that are going to cause problems in the future. I do that often. At the same time, I'm always looking for a reason to fill the hash bag :rofl:

Onward!

Well hello there! :D

This year's gotta be better than last. I started 3 journals last year, never got to finish a single one. I kept meeting with disaster, myself.:blalol: You can check 'em out if you want. I have only done outdoor grows, know nothing about growing indoor. The few times I attempted indoor I ended up with plants that looked like spaghetti. The sun brings on the beef. I'm hoping for sativas this grow.

Did you start a journal, too? *Edit: DUH! I just saw your signature. :)

Thanks to everyone for the subs. :)

Let me make a correction...I did 3 grows last year, not 3 journals. I snuck the end of the 1st grow in on my 1st journal (2nd grow). It wasn't until then that I decided to do online reports. It doesn't matter, all 3 ended in disaster I'm embarrassed to say. It's time to quit fotting around and get serious, but not too serious.

Hello dear friends! :peace: :love: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Though it is far too early to distinguish between sativa or indica, I damn near want to wager a guess. My batch of 3 has the characteristics of sativa (elongated, narrow true leaves), while the batch of 20 has the characteristics of indica (stumpy, fat rounded true leaves). If this holds true, at least one of the batch of 3 better be female because I'm going to knock your freakin' socks off reporting my pride! A jammin' song comes to mind here, but I don't know if that's allowed, and I don't know if my heart can take another moderator warning.:blalol: But realistically, they have been SO cool! It's not like other sites where your entire content gets deleted due to ignorance, so a shout out to the mods!
37551-e7b46975d27eb48237cffc9cc11e7b57.gif

This is the batch of 3, the suspected sativas. First a group shot, then individuals. I can hardly wait until the 1st day of veg(full moon, 23rd) so that I know I can be accurate in counting days. Yeah, get you some of this bare nakedness!
20160117_210751.jpg

20160117_210857.jpg
31857.jpg

41442.jpg

The batch of 20 (suspected indica) are just as impressive. From this point forward I will do my best to post updates on Saturdays, my count days. Just a few choice shots taken.
20160117_210826.jpg
20160117_211853.jpg
20160117_211931.jpg
20160117_212543.jpg
20160117_212602.jpg
20160117_212625.jpg

Why follow the moon phases? Does it make the week/day count easier? Am I completely missing something?

Also, I know you said you live in the south so obviously have no snow, but I am so jealous it's not even funny. An outdoor grow in January? Oh yeah, staying right here! It'll help me pretend my face doesn't freeze when I walk outside.

Why follow the moon phases? Does it make the week/day count easier? Am I completely missing something?

Also, I know you said you live in the south so obviously have no snow, but I am so jealous it's not even funny. An outdoor grow in January? Oh yeah, staying right here! It'll help me pretend my face doesn't freeze when I walk outside.

I won't ignore you on this, but I have a lot of work to do today, so please bare with me. I give you my word that I will answer your question as soon as I can. It will be later tonight or in the morning....or I could just plagiarize some articles.:rofl: But seriously, there's a lot more to it than just counting days/weeks.

I won't ignore you on this, but I have a lot of work to do today, so please bare with me. I give you my word that I will answer your question as soon as I can. It will be later tonight or in the morning....or I could just plagiarize some articles.:rofl: But seriously, there's a lot more to it than just counting days/weeks.

I'm okay with plagiarized articles. I'm actually off to research it now that I've got some smoke, and food down.

I'm okay with plagiarized articles. I'm actually off to research it now that I've got some smoke, and food down.

Normally I don't sprout first, I just pop them in soil on New Moon and then Full Moon is day 1. I sprouted this grow first because I had doubts that my seeds were any good. Anyway, I'm sure you did your research like you said you were and I won't be saying anything you haven't already read, but I will share an excerpt from one article that sort of sums it up.

"The moon’s influence has been studied throughout time. It’s gravitational pull regulates the massive bodies of water that cover about 70 percent of the Earth’s surface. Naturally, because the moon has influence on all bodies of water, anything composed of water is also affected by the ever-changing stages of the moon. This means that the water in cannabis plants and soil respond as well, rising and falling in moisture, depending on the position and phase of the moon.

The effects of the moon on cannabis can be subtle but are significant. Cannabis grown according to the phases of the moon cycle are usually healthier with increased flavor and potency. The moon affects seed germination and growth, which can lead to bigger yields of more robust cannabis plants. The moon’s predictable orbit adheres to a repetitive and reliable system that ensures calculable results in plants that are deliberately grown in accordance with the moon phases.

Lunar planting finds its roots in organic and biodynamic farming techniques of ancient cultures who studied the profound power the moon had on the water on this planet. Every day of the year, the moon is rotating and moving to complete its eight stages and four phases every single month. On average, it takes about 29.5 days to complete the cycle.

There are different timing techniques that can be used to enhance the vitality of plants. The Synodic cycle uses a planting method that divides the lunar cycle into four phases or quarters from waning to waxing. The first phase, from the new moon through the first quarter moon, is considered a particularly fertile and moist time and is an ideal time to plant new seeds or take cuttings from existing cannabis plants. During the second phase when the moon is waxing, from the first quarter moon to the full moon, plants experience increased growth.

When the moon cycles from full through the last quarter, the third phase, moisture levels reach their peak. It’s not recommended to plant anything during this time. From the last quarter through the new moon, the fourth and final phase, the moon is waning and growth energy is pulled down into the roots of the plants. During this time, general maintenance is recommended. Also, it’s a good idea to check the soil and perhaps water plants, as moisture levels drop as the moon begins to wane.

Another planting method employs the Biodynamic cycle, a more meticulous growing technique that uses astrology as a planting guide. The moon travels through all 12 zodiac signs every month in two and a half day intervals, changing its position in the sky and the influence it has on plants. Each sign falls into one of four elemental categories — earth, air, fire and water — with each associated with masculine or feminine characteristics that can enhance or hurt plants.

It isn’t recommended to plant seeds when the moon is in a fire sign like Aries, Leo and Sagittarius, signs with masculine properties that include dry, hot attributes. Plants are fertile when the moon is in an earth sign like Capricorn, Taurus and Virgo. This is a good time to plant, when it’s moist, cool and fertile — characteristics of feminine signs. When the moon is in an air sign like Libra, Aquarius or Gemini, planting isn’t recommended, although it’s a good time to perform general maintenance. Taking cuttings, planting seeds and transplanting cannabis plants is recommended when the moon is in water signs like Scorpio, Cancer and Pisces.

The Sidereal planting method is similar to the Biodynamic cycle, except it focuses on primarily on the moon’s orbit around the earth. The orbit is divided into 12 equal 30 degree sections and takes 27.3 days to complete. With this method, the positioning of the moon is used as a guide for planting.

The impeccable timing and rhythm of the moon provides growers with the opportunity amplify the results of their growing efforts. If utilized correctly, the lunation cycle can have a noticeable influence on the exuberance and robustness in crops. When paired with the unparalleled germinating power of the sun, lunar planting can make a remarkable difference for cannabis growers and cultivators eager to improve their harvest."

I actual read that earlier. I was thinking about following it, because curiosity kills, and I decided that it's something I think I'd like to try with a photoperiod plant first. It's a very interesting method, and the increased yield on potatoes in one study was something like 43%. I couldn't believe it.

I noted down the rooting days, waxing and waning phases, as well as the quarters and what is best for which. It's in my journal now, so I won't forget it! Thank you!

I actual read that earlier. I was thinking about following it, because curiosity kills, and I decided that it's something I think I'd like to try with a photoperiod plant first. It's a very interesting method, and the increased yield on potatoes in one study was something like 43%. I couldn't believe it.

I noted down the rooting days, waxing and waning phases, as well as the quarters and what is best for which. It's in my journal now, so I won't forget it! Thank you!

I'm glad I piqued your curiosity, and wish you all the very best if you do give it a try. I don't believe you'll be disappointed. In fact, if you cross-reference 420 Magazine and growing by the moon phases in your search engine of choice you'll find a number of threads about it right here.

Subbed and you've inspired me to do one last outdoor auto :p

I really hope you decide to do an individual journal for that. Those perpetuals just bug the hell out me reading through thousands of posts trying to figure out which grow/plant/strain is being talked about. A lot of helpful knowledge gets lost like that.

I wish you all the very best with your auto, Spart.

My last outdoor one ended up with I think about 30 plants in it all year :p
If I do a journal I'll keep it quick and simple. Growing outside is usually a pest fueled rage for me LOL

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom