I need help people, something is eating my ladies.

Something is eating my plants. I am in day 9 of flower. Two different strains, both hybrids. What can I do ? I'm severely limited in my fund so what can I do that is the most effective and cheapest route. ?
20240802_163101.jpg
20240802_163054.jpg
20240802_165910.jpg
20240802_163126.jpg

Something is eating my plants. I am in day 9 of flower. Two different strains, both hybrids. What can I do ? I'm severely limited in my fund so what can I do that is the most effective and cheapest route. ?
20240802_163101.jpg
20240802_163054.jpg
20240802_165910.jpg
20240802_163126.jpg
If you don't see any signs underneath it's probably a leaf hopper or some large insect.
Do you have neem oil or a bug spray?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

With that level of damage and no visible foe (caterpillar) it is probably grasshoppers. Idk the answer of how to get rid of them, I just throw them off physically. Tbh, it won't kill the plant to lose a leaf here n there, the stress can sometimes bring a good response when it isn't extreme.

Also, I would remove that tag from around the stem, it looks like it is beginning to constrict.

I tend to go along with what @Sueet says about not worrying about a finger off of a leaf here and there. I can't say as I have had any real damage from a leaf eating insect on my indoor plants. Mites, yes, but not anything eating chunks out of leaves.

Come to think of it, yes, something showed up and ate part of a leaf finger. That was all, just one small part and moved on.

Even outdoors it is often just a part that is eaten and then the insect is gone. I have even watched them eat and the the next day ...... no bug to be found.

Two different strains, both hybrids. What can I do ?
Obviously . . . And nothing that I can see.
I take it that you checked the top and then the bottom of each finger of every leaf and not just the ones with the damage. The damage can be on one leaf but the insect has moved to another leaf a half foot away so everything has to be checked.

Very important that there is at least two or three checks done at "night" or the lights off period. Insects have their own schedule and some of them are very active in the dark and will just be hanging around waiting in a semi-dormant stage when it is lights on or sunny. Check several hours after lights out with a flashlight looking at both sides of each leaf.

And every check should involve looking at tent walls, ceiling and floor. Look at the top of the soil and the sides of the pot.

No, short on funds . . . Very short
If you do end up with a real problem that has to be solved you can hand pick each bug off and squeeze it. No spray needed. But if it is something that needs an insecticide then it is cheaper to spend the $15 to $20 bucks or so to fix the problem on this grow. And, very likely to have enough left for another 4 or 5 grows so the end cost is about two packs of rolling papers every grow which is a lot cheaper than having to buy an ounce just 'cause the insects ate everything in the tent.

Many insects are naturally colored to avoid being seen. In the past week I have seen a photo in another msg showing a caterpillar that was the same shade of green as the underside of the leaf. It would have been easy for that grower to have missed it if he had not been really looking closely.

I am going to photo bomb your thread with a shot of a winged insect that I watched eat a finger on one leaf and then move on to the next finger. Thing is, an hour later I could not find it and it never showed up again. If I had been just giving a casual look I would not have seen the bug.

Many times insects show up, eat and move on.

Bill284, Sueet and SmokingWings. ? Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my thread. I really appreciate the help.
Hope everything works out Amigo :thumb:
If you want to say Hi and meet everyone here is a link
Be nice if you hang around. :passitleft:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I am going to photo bomb your thread with a shot of a winged insect that I watched eat a finger on one leaf and then move on to the next finger. Thing is, an hour later I could not find it and it never showed up again. If I had been just giving a casual look I would not have seen the bug.

Many times insects show up, eat and move on.

That is a grasshopper :D And yes, they have wings, although they do more of an assisted hop than actual flight (typically).

Does my problem being some kind of red insects so small I'm barely able to see them the naked eye ? And 99% of the time, the only place I found them were on the bottom side of the leaves
Unlikely, unless it is two-spotted spider mites. You do have some minute speckling on the leaves, but I don't think it is mites. That damage you showed in your pics is definitely not mite damage.
Two spotted spider mites really are almost invisible to the naked eye. If you can see them clearly, and watch them moving it is probably clover mites? They look like teensy red spiders and they move pretty fast. I don't know that clover mites would cause much trouble, they mostly eat grass and clover.

That is a grasshopper :D And yes, they have wings, although they do more of an assisted hop than actual flight (typically).
Just one of thousands of varieties in the grasshopper and cricket categories.

Two spotted spider mites really are almost invisible to the naked eye. If you can see them clearly, and watch them moving it is probably clover mites? They look like teensy red spiders and they move pretty fast. I don't know that clover mites would cause much trouble, they mostly eat grass and clover.
Lots of bits and pieces of Mite info picked up earlier this morning. It does get tricky with mites.

The female Spider Mite can get large enough to be seen without any magnification. If a person can see the head of a pin then they should be able to see the female mite even if it is a bit smaller than the pin head.

The Red Clover Mites are usually large enough to be visible. To make it more confusing the Two Spotted can go through stages where it changes color and can be green, brown or even a reddish color. On top of all that there are a red colored mite that is not a Clover nor a red stage Spider. Instead it is a predator mite that is going through a reddish colored phase while it is living on the plant and is attacking and eating Spider Mites.

SmokingWings? I'm not quite sure but it appears as though you did some research about this issue on my behalf, for which I am super grateful. I stayed up so late last night going to check the ladies multiple times, top of leaves and bottoms, the stalk and stems, the pots, The soil, the walls, the light, the ceiling I fucking checked everywhere multiple times close up far away and I still can't find anything and it has gone past the point of frustration and is leading towards anger and despair.

Katydids can do terrible damage to leaves. I have them here every summer, and actually just took care of one today on my basil plants. They hide very well when they see you approach, going either to the other side of the stalk or under the leaf. This one is almost adult, and has not quite grown the wings completely out.

They are similar looking to some varieties of grasshoppers, which also chew the leaves up. The second photo is a very young one (nymph) munching on leaf parts. (in this case a part of a rose petal) They are very small, and tough to see.

1722807547806.png

1722807853641.png

LadyCannafan ? Thank you for your response. If those things are in my closet and hiding from me ? Jesus, have my faculties and cognitive abilities been Jared far worse by a concussion I had months ago. Did you know that katydid is any of about 8000 predominantly nocturnal insects that are related to crickets and are noted for their mating calls. I look forward to more input from everybody.

Back
Top Bottom