How much power per hour does this heater use?

Heat the pots with heat mats instead, keep the same temp as the earth and insulate the pots.
If in super cold environment.
In nature Root temp keeps plants stable.
or.....

Lights on at night to combat the cold as I do and the day temps are your colder 'night' period.

Best of luck.

LR72.

Heat the pots with heat mats instead, keep the same temp as the earth and insulate the pots.
If in super cold environment.
In nature Root temp keeps plants stable.
or.....

Lights on at night to combat the cold as I do and the day temps are your colder 'night' period.

Best of luck.

LR72.
I have heat pads, I'm more worried about the leaves getting too cool during the night which will hinder the plants ability to process energy at night.

The night temps will be 9 °C - 10 °C.

There are no lights my friend, this is a van with a limited solar panel system.

I'm going to order a 250 watt fan heater, I think my solar panel system can handle that.

probably need something closer to 750w. 750 is pretty standard for a small room heater. the common choices are 750w and 1500w, many have a heat setting to run one or the other.

I have heat pads, I'm more worried about the leaves getting too cool during the night which will hinder the plants ability to process energy at night.

leaves will be fine. it won't damage them as long as it doesn't freeze. heat pads will work but can cook the roots. the lower part of a bucket on a heat pad can get too hot. keep close watch if you use them.

The night temps will be 9 °C - 10 °C.

cannabis stalls out completely by 13c. anything under takes a day or two at temps above that to recover. you'll have to get it into the 20c range during lights on to keep them developing.

There are no lights my friend, this is a van with a limited solar panel system.

have you got it insulated at all ?

I think several people including myself would be surprised to see that solar system keep up with even a 250w heater, especially at night on battery power.
I have a 250w inverter for my truck and anything over 200w pops its breaker, heating elements being the worst for that.

probably need something closer to 750w. 750 is pretty standard for a small room heater. the common choices are 750w and 1500w, many have a heat setting to run one or the other.

Unfortunately my solar panel system won't be able to handle 750w.

The 250w heater only has to heat the inside of a van where the seedlings will be kept at night.

heat pads will work but can cook the roots. the lower part of a bucket on a heat pad can get too hot. keep close watch if you use them.

Thanks for the heads up, I might reconsider using heat pads.

cannabis stalls out completely by 13c. anything under takes a day or two at temps above that to recover. you'll have to get it into the 20c range during lights on to keep them developing.

As I understand it cannabis process energy at night time converting it into glucose and requires the temps to be above 12c - 13c (preferably higher temps) for this to happen at all. So yeah with this process hindered growth will be slow.

have you got it insulated at all ?

I've got limited insulation, the windows have reflective material to help keep heat in.

I think several people including myself would be surprised to see that solar system keep up with even a 250w heater, especially at night on battery power.

You might be right there, my estimates on what my solar panel system can handle are very rough crude estimates.

I have a 250w inverter for my truck and anything over 200w pops its breaker, heating elements being the worst for that.

My inverter is 300w which is not much bigger.

I'm now looking at a very small 120w heater which is better than nothing, it only has to warm up the inside of a van though....

Thanks for the heads up, I might reconsider using heat pads.

it won't hurt to try. just keep an eye on them.

I've got limited insulation, the windows have reflective material to help keep heat in.

see if you can pick up a product called reflectix. it's a double sided mylar bubble wrap type of insulation. it's an easy material to work with, simply line the plant area, walls / roof. it will help keep the temps up and give the heater a fighting chance.

i've used it before and have my current grow spaces lined in it.

full

that's my heat challenged veg space. the reflectix is the silver stuff on the walls and ceiling. i also use a small space heater.

Here's a novel though pricey solution. Pail Heater

Another possible solution: heat tape

McMaster-Carr also has solutions

I wish I knew about those products sooner, but plans are already in motion for the 150w heater.

I saved those links so I can consider using one of those devices next season if my solar panel system can't handle the 150w heater, if it can handle it then it is perfect for my van because it is designed to heat up an area the same size as the inside of my van.

it won't hurt to try. just keep an eye on them.

see if you can pick up a product called reflectix. it's a double sided mylar bubble wrap type of insulation. it's an easy material to work with, simply line the plant area, walls / roof. it will help keep the temps up and give the heater a fighting chance.

i've used it before and have my current grow spaces lined in it.

full

that's my heat challenged veg space. the reflectix is the silver stuff on the walls and ceiling. i also use a small space heater.
Yep that's what I currently have for the windows. Now that you reminded me, I need to buy some more of it.

I wish I knew about those products sooner, but plans are already in motion for the 150w heater.

I saved those links so I can consider using one of those devices next season if my solar panel system can't handle the 150w heater, if it can handle it then it is perfect for my van because it is designed to heat up an area the same size as the inside of my van.
A temperature control would likely save some battery power so you aren't running the heater 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom