How contagious is "Bud rot"?

Skoolie

I've noticed a few buds on a couple of my late-season outdoor plants have the onset of Bud rot going on. What can I do to stop this or prevent it from spreading?
20201011_084201.jpg
20201011_084456.jpg
20201011_084658.jpg

I am making this up, but think it is condition related versus contagious. If the conditions remain the rot will continue. Too humid, not enough air flow, environmental rather than a spore whipping though the air...
I believe you cut rot out asap, I have a few links in my signature.
There will be someone with facts jump in here soon!

Short answer: Extremely contagious.

Every spot where you see that brown is forming millions of mold spores that are looking for a place to land and multiply.
Cut it away like cancer (get all affected areas) and burn it, or it will ruin the rest of your plant(s)

Every spot where you see that brown is forming millions of mold spores that are looking for a place to land and multiply.
Cut it away like cancer (get all affected areas) and burn it, or it will ruin the rest of your plant(s)
^I would like to change my answer :laughtwo: or add this critical info!
:thanks: Goody!

Unfortunately I know bud rot very well. I lost a few Oz this year (and every other year) outside here in WA. It starts with bad airflow or too much moisture. Occasionally it's from caterpillar or other pest chewing a branch, but mine is usually moisture related. Then the fungus gnats show up in september and the brown spots start popping up like clockwork. All you can do is cut it off and bag it/burn it and hope it hasn't spread. Even Powdery Mildew treatment doesn't seem to kill the bud rot spores as it kills the PM. Very stubborn problem that's plaguing a lot of people this year.

Unfortunately I know bud rot very well. I lost a few Oz this year (and every other year) outside here in WA. It starts with bad airflow or too much moisture. Occasionally it's from caterpillar or other pest chewing a branch, but mine is usually moisture related. Then the fungus gnats show up in september and the brown spots start popping up like clockwork. All you can do is cut it off and bag it/burn it and hope it hasn't spread. Even Powdery Mildew treatment doesn't seem to kill the bud rot spores as it kills the PM. Very stubborn problem that's plaguing a lot of people this year.
On my first run, growing outdoors trying to keep up with the elements. Mostly makes me super curious about autoflowering strains.
Heading to see if you've documented those loses, they are great hind sight lessons to squirrel away for us new growers! Truthfully, the whole thing has been two steps forward and one step back, but endless learning.

On my first run, growing outdoors trying to keep up with the elements. Mostly makes me super curious about autoflowering strains.
Heading to see if you've documented those loses, they are great hind sight lessons to squirrel away for us new growers! Truthfully, the whole thing has been two steps forward and one step back, but endless learning.
That rot is part of the reason I looked into autoflower strains in the first place. Funny enough, 2 plants I put outside earlier this year were supposed to be autos but ended up being regular photos, and another outdoor auto turned hermie. So, I haven’t had the bud rot issue on an auto yet, because I haven’t actually grown an auto outside yet lol. But on my photos I harvested about 3400g (wet) outdoors, and lost probably a solid 10-15% of it to rot. No spider mites this year though!
It’s sad but this has become an acceptable loss, and there’s not much I can do if the rain shows up early here. Next year I’m growing mold resistant hemp down by the beach and autos outside on the deck. All the autos will be done by august ;)

All the answers are right, but I agree with Konks’ post too- completely true.

Even what we consider clean air has thousands of mould spores per cubic meter.
It’s opportunistic. Basically if conditions are right for it- you are going to get mould. Yeah mould is contagious, but don’t worry about spores. Worry about the conditions.
Hard to change those conditions outdoors but sometimes you can improve airflow in the area - which can be a huge help even in high humidity.
If you can’t change the conditions then generally it’s time to start chopping things.
Good luck!

That rot is part of the reason I looked into autoflower strains in the first place. Funny enough, 2 plants I put outside earlier this year were supposed to be autos but ended up being regular photos, and another outdoor auto turned hermie. So, I haven’t had the bud rot issue on an auto yet, because I haven’t actually grown an auto outside yet lol. But on my photos I harvested about 3400g (wet) outdoors, and lost probably a solid 10-15% of it to rot. No spider mites this year though!
It’s sad but this has become an acceptable loss, and there’s not much I can do if the rain shows up early here. Next year I’m growing mold resistant hemp down by the beach and autos outside on the deck. All the autos will be done by august ;)
See, that's not that funny I would lose it... autoflowering it isn't overwhelmingly coming out ahead :laughtwo: Seems there are fewer shortcuts to be had... Mountains of research, some Wile E. Coyote ingenuity and experience are your best hope to harvest. I was hoping it just grew in the yard ;)

All the answers are right, but I agree with Konks’ post too- completely true.

Even what we consider clean air has thousands of mould spores per cubic meter.
It’s opportunistic. Basically if conditions are right for it- you are going to get mould. Yeah mould is contagious, but don’t worry about spores. Worry about the conditions.
Hard to change those conditions outdoors but sometimes you can improve airflow in the area - which can be a huge help even in high humidity.
If you can’t change the conditions then generally it’s time to start chopping things.
Good luck!
Appreciate that, I am nipping on heels trying to keep up, there is always a deeper to dig for!

I think if conditions are overly wet and damp then I can imagine bud rot spreading badly thru your buds. But in my limited experience where generally the conditions have been not wet and damp, that the bud rot I have encountered has I believe come about from caterpillars doing damage that goes unseen until the dying plant tissue become overcome with mould. But either way, it is important to cut it out and remove promptly.

It seems to me like the infection often starts on the preflower, which is older and often starting to become overly mature by the time the main flowers are still immature. Of course, weather conditions and spore count are strong influences as well, but the bud rot seems to infect damaged or old plant tissue more readily.

B careful burning. Burning poison ivy, every sensitive on block go hospital. Catch house on fire, every room don't go whoosh at one time, yeah? Everything else same.

Sad...but unfortunately true
Bud rot is something you want to take very seriously. It can ruin your whole grow very quickly. I would cut out any bud rot. If it continues I would harvest. Years ago I lost a large grow to bud rot :(
That sucks to hear about that grow! I did cut out the bud rot from the two plants and it wasn't as much as I thought. I'm going to definitely keep a better eye on it though and nip any problem in the bud immediately! Thanks for the advice. :thumb: :peace:

Back
Top Bottom