Hi my name is Sharon and I'm from a small town in Ontario Canada

Do red lights make the plants flower better ? Some lights seem to have more of one color than the other. Does this make for different outcomes?
Yes. The varying combinations of red and blue photons are designed to induce different plant shapes.

"veg" lights were blue-heavy lights which causes specific changes in how plants grow. Blue photons inhibit cell expansion so the plants will tend to be short and compact, with shorter branches, and smaller internodal space. One reason for this is that plants do not photosynthesize blue photon as efficiently as green, red, or far red.

"flower" lights were red heavy. Red photons have the advantage of being cheap to manufacture and they're efficient in terms of how many photons are being generated.

Until a few months ago, there were two companies (HLG and Chilled) that made LED veg and flower lights. Chilled has switched to red+ white LED but HLG still offers separates.

White LED's have differing ratios of blue and red based on how the manufacturer designed the light.

This is the spectrum from the Vipar XS 1500 Pro which is an excellent light for a 2' tent:
1709946277477.png

Lotsa blue, which is good but not a lot of red, right? Why's that? I can't say for sure but $$ to doughnuts a big consideration is that it's designed for a 2' tent so a light that keeps things short and bushy is probably a good idea.

A picture of a 68-day old shrubbery plant vegged in under a veg LED, now in day 20 of flower.

IMG_1425.jpeg

The spectra of the veg and flower lights for that plant:

1709946888504.png

Rather than having different lights for veg vs flower, the industry has moved to "white" LED with some lights offering far red and UV diodes in their lights, as well. Those additional may impact how the plant grows but they come at a price so you won't see them in a bog standard, commodity growlight.

Here's a screenshot of the spectrum of a Mars Hydro light for a 2' x 4' tent. I think that's a really good spectrum because it's got a lot of red, which will promote growth because of the number of photons that are generated, there's a sufficient amount of blue to keep things balanced, and just enough green so that the colors look natural to our eyes.

This screenshot is from a YouTube video review of the light.
1709946610977.png

A screen shot from a Bugbee video:

1709946796903.png

I've also attached a Bugbee paper that goes into this in detail.

Attachments

• The Effect of Light Spectrum on the Morphology and Cannabinoid Content.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
You can see the differences in home light bulbs, "cool" blueish light vs "warm" reddish light. Looking on the box, the cool version has Kelvin readings like 5,000k and the warm are more like 2,500k to 3,000k.

Do red lights make the plants flower better ? Some lights seem to have more of one color than the other. Does this make for different outcomes?

Yes. The varying combinations of red and blue photons are designed to induce different plant shapes.

"veg" lights were blue-heavy lights which causes specific changes in how plants grow. Blue photons inhibit cell expansion so the plants will tend to be short and compact, with shorter branches, and smaller internodal space. One reason for this is that plants do not photosynthesize blue photon as efficiently as green, red, or far red.

"flower" lights were red heavy. Red photons have the advantage of being cheap to manufacture and they're efficient in terms of how many photons are being generated.

Until a few months ago, there were two companies (HLG and Chilled) that made LED veg and flower lights. Chilled has switched to red+ white LED but HLG still offers separates.

White LED's have differing ratios of blue and red based on how the manufacturer designed the light.

This is the spectrum from the Vipar XS 1500 Pro which is an excellent light for a 2' tent:
1709946277477.png

Lotsa blue, which is good but not a lot of red, right? Why's that? I can't say for sure but $$ to doughnuts a big consideration is that it's designed for a 2' tent so a light that keeps things short and bushy is probably a good idea.

A picture of a 68-day old shrubbery plant vegged in under a veg LED, now in day 20 of flower.

IMG_1425.jpeg

The spectra of the veg and flower lights for that plant:

1709946888504.png

Rather than having different lights for veg vs flower, the industry has moved to "white" LED with some lights offering far red and UV diodes in their lights, as well. Those additional may impact how the plant grows but they come at a price so you won't see them in a bog standard, commodity growlight.

Here's a screenshot of the spectrum of a Mars Hydro light for a 2' x 4' tent. I think that's a really good spectrum because it's got a lot of red, which will promote growth because of the number of photons that are generated, there's a sufficient amount of blue to keep things balanced, and just enough green so that the colors look natural to our eyes.

This screenshot is from a YouTube video review of the light.
1709946610977.png

A screen shot from a Bugbee video:

1709946796903.png

I've also attached a Bugbee paper that goes into this in detail.
The answer to that question is "not necessarily" :hmmmm: it really has to do with the grower and their ability to control their environment, and to have a strong enough light to flower it like the sun would, I have tried LEDs but, I prefer to use HIDs...Now, I know it's a preference as to which light you use, but, to this day I have still not seen an LED grow these...

The answer to that question is "not necessarily" :hmmmm: it really has to do with the grower and their ability to control their environment, and to have a strong enough light to flower it like the sun would, I have tried LEDs but, I prefer to use HIDs...Now, I know it's a preference as to which light you use, but, to this day I have still not seen an LED grow these...

Well damn Daddy!! You got some mega colas there!!

Absolutely Fantastic. :bravo:
Nice work my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Very Nice! I don't agree with you that LED's can't grow them like that but well done!

I come from growing under HID so I have a decent idea of what they can do. When I moved to LED there was a steep learning curve but once it all clicked I was able to make it work just as well as HID minus the heat and higher electrical costs.

IMO, most of a growers success comes from their knowledge and the genetics they choose.

Very Nice! I don't agree with you that LED's can't grow them like that but well done!

I come from growing under HID so I have a decent idea of what they can do. When I moved to LED there was a steep learning curve but once it all clicked I was able to make it work just as well as HID minus the heat and higher electrical costs.

IMO, most of a growers success comes from their knowledge and the genetics they choose.
I understand it's a preference as to what light people use, but I'm from Missouri so if you have some buds that grew as big as mine with an LED please "Show Me" as I have asked this before of other people, and no one can show me a comparable grow with their LEDs, and as far as cheaper to use...If you have a 430 watt LED, and I have a 400 watt HID, well you're drawing more wattage than me, and as far as heat issues, I run "Cool Tubes" and can vent any heat I don't want out of the room. But I do appreciate the compliment :passitleft: BTW, not trying to start an argument or a debate, but I seriously want to see the pics of this phenomena of which you're talking about :thumb::popcorn:

A 400 watt HID will always use 400 watts mostly because you'll damage the bulb if you try and dim it. A 430 watt LED can be dimmed without ill effect. A 400 watt HID bulb will need to be changed out after every few runs. A 430 watt LED will need to be changed out after a few years. The extra equipment needed to cool down HID fixtures vs LED's. The extra electricity to run the extra equipment.

I've been there. I know HID growing very well. I don't have pictures of monster LED colas but I've seen them. Granted, the one area HID beats out LED is in canopy penetration but overall my preference between the two goes to LED.

I was the same way for many years. I didn't take to LED thinking the same thing about cola size and girth but, honestly, I'm not all that enthused to be growing giant colas anyways. Too many chances for bud rot along with the special care I need to give them in dry and cure. They're great to look at but I'm grinding everything down anyways. I'm not knocking HID as I've grown many runs under them with great success but overall LED works better for me in many ways HID can't.

Double ended run

6 plant LST pre flower.jpg

Hooded Run

20ft Container Grow Chamber.jpg

A 400 watt HID will always use 400 watts mostly because you'll damage the bulb if you try and dim it. A 430 watt LED can be dimmed without ill effect. A 400 watt HID bulb will need to be changed out after every few runs. A 430 watt LED will need to be changed out after a few years. The extra equipment needed to cool down HID fixtures vs LED's. The extra electricity to run the extra equipment.
I was under the impression this is not true with digital ballasts ?

Cheers

Yes, you can. Digital ballasts are...more expensive. More cost.

Digital ballasts usually won't go any lower than 50%.
50% is just fine, even for seedlings.

I'm running a 600w MH/HPS in a 42" parabolic reflector, cost $250 Cdn.

So far I've been satisfied with $30 bulbs.

A comparable LED set up is ~ $1000.

I can buy a lot of bulbs for the difference ;)

And in my location the extra "heat" is better than running a seperate heater !

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom