Growing Apple Betty from Herbies Seeds

Chuckeye

Greetings,

Seem to be quite a bit of interest in this strain lately !

Apple Betty @HerbiesSeeds

This is an abridged version of my journey up to today. 134 days total, 81 days of flower ;)

A couple of weeks over their guesstimate, he, he..

Full grow in my signature....

I germinated one seed in a shot glass with about an ounce of distilled water and a spritz of Hydrogen Peroxide.

Glass placed in a Tupperware container on my kitchen table, 48 hours later we have lift off !

Placed in a yogurt/solo cup a finger nail deep with ProMix HP and moistened with a solution of .7g/gallon of MC one part.

When the cup starts to feel "light" I water until run off, slowly around the edges. Wet/dry right from the start.

Well water, no ph down and no Cal/Mag ;)

Before I had my light to plant height worked out she was likely 3" high. I simply mounded the medium around her to support her.

Transplanted at day 17, sprinkled the root ball with DYNOMYCO C Mycorrhizal Fungi and placed in a prepared hole in a 5 gallon fabric bag of dampened ProMix HP.

Roots Apple Betty 23 Jan 23.jpg

My training plan was to keep her short and aim for a dozen or so dominate tops.

Topped at day 20 (?) above the fifth node, a day or so later removed first and second nodes.

Trained horizontal until 20" wide. By this time the top nodes lower branches needed pulling down to keep the canopy level.

Day 3l.

Day 31 Apple Betty 9 Feb 23.jpg

Day 41.

Day 41 Apple Betty High 19 Feb 23.jpg

Day 3 of flower.

Day 3 Apple Betty 7 Mar 23.jpg

Day 12 of flower.

Day 12 Apple Betty 16 Mar 23.jpg

I roughly followed the MC feeding schedule on the Green Leaf Nutrient web site. When lower leaves start to show yellow I up the nutrients by .5g/gallon.

But, I tend to push a little and at day 48 (?) of flower 6.75g/gallon was a little bit much. Not a problem but I like to see my leaves green to the end !

PPM at that time was 960...

Backed off to 6g/gallon on day 51 of flower, never having seen nutrient burn with MC before I switched to 5.0g/gallon of GE MaxiBloom.

What threw me was the leaf tips were curled UP and then the necrosis progressed.

I'm used to seeing straight tip burns ;)

When she reached 30" high I installed a 20" diameter wire hoop on bamboo stakes and did a light lollipopping.

This evening I added a center pole and soft wire supports. A little but too much for comfort "leaning", he, he...

She is 45" tall and those top "buds" are a full 16" long o_O

Day 81 Apple Betty Support 22 May 23.jpg

Day 79 Apple Betty bud Crop 20 May 23.jpg

In summary, relatively easy to grow. Could reach five or six feet without training !

A "normal" feeder, I won't push the food next time !

So looking forward to a taste test :bongrip:

Cheers, eh ?

Day 103

She is wet trimmed and hang drying :yahoo:

So much for keeping her tidy ;)

Apple Betty one 12 Jun 23.jpg

Apple Betty two 12 Jun 23.jpg

Apple Betty three 12 Jun 23.jpg

Apple Betty four 12 Jun 23.jpg

Cheers
Congratulations on super successful project and harvest Chuck. I was wondering why you wet trim? That Apple Betty is a very interesting strain for a Indica, I don’t remember seeing any other like it. CL🍀 :woohoo::thumb: :party::theband::cheer: :bravo::welldone::adore: :circle-of-love::420:

Congratulations on super successful project and harvest Chuck. I was wondering why you wet trim? That Apple Betty is a very interesting strain for a Indica, I don’t remember seeing any other like it. CL🍀
Thank you !

I find wet trimming on the plant before cutting off the branches to hang is faster.

Harvest is broken down in manageable portions. Wet trim, cut and hang branches and then buck the buds off the branches into totes for further day/curing.

Usually less than a half hour per stage !

IF I can hit 70% into totes I believe that drying/curing stage is more effective in a smooth tasting smoke compared to the fan leaves slowing the drying down when hanging.

Personal preference if you will ;)

Cheers

Thank you !

I find wet trimming on the plant before cutting off the branches to hang is faster.

Harvest is broken down in manageable portions. Wet trim, cut and hang branches and then buck the buds off the branches into totes for further day/curing.

Usually less than a half hour per stage !

IF I can hit 70% into totes I believe that drying/curing stage is more effective in a smooth tasting smoke compared to the fan leaves slowing the drying down when hanging.

Personal preference if you will ;)

Cheers
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I like to hear what others think about harvesting. CL🍀 :thanks:

Final report.

A disappointingly short/quick hang of four days and in a tote @60%....

I'm usually pretty good at catching it @70% ish but....

Day 99 Apple Betty Bud 10 Jun 23.jpg

Day 107 Apple Betty in tote 16 Jun 23.jpg

Day 107 Apple Betty close 16 Jun 23.jpg

Found one little bud (a bowlful) on the floor of my drying contraption that was Good to Go :bongrip:

NOT what I was expecting ;)

Apple Betty is 40% Indica and 60% Sativa and the Sativa side shines through !

The first night I had my standard two pulls on a bong, less than 1/2 of a 14mm bowl.

Uplifting and energetic, I can't believe how much I got done that night. All the while with a smile on my face.

No heavy body, can't get off the couch !

But still needed to pay a little more attention to what I was doing compared to my latest daily driver of Lambs Bread !
Can't say it worked for my lower back pain but it would be some time before I even realized I was still sore :love:

Now this was a surprise, in a good way.

Last night I had another two pulls of the bowl. Supper was warmed over breaded fish fillet, home cut fries and beans.

I was expecting it to be only edible but instead it was a feast 🤤

Darn near licked the plate clean :yahoo:

As to taste, well. Even though I'm a bit of a foodie I have difficulty describing the flavors as well as the marketing hoopla but it was pleasant and smooth.

And come on, two pulls on a bong is hardly enough time to savor the nuances of the experience !

The buds weren't quite as dense as I thought they would be but still firm enough.

Thanks @Bill284 for the recommendation !

Definitely makes my top half dozen strains list 👍

Cheers

Final report.

Found one little bud (a bowlful) on the floor of my drying contraption that was Good to Go :bongrip:

The first night I had my standard two pulls on a bong, less than 1/2 of a 14mm bowl.

Uplifting and energetic, I can't believe how much I got done that night. All the while with a smile on my face.

But still needed to pay a little more attention to what I was doing compared to my latest daily driver of Lambs Bread !
Can't say it worked for my lower back pain but it would be some time before I even realized I was still sore :love:

Last night I had another two pulls of the bowl. Supper was warmed over breaded fish fillet, home cut fries and beans.

As to taste, well. Even though I'm a bit of a foodie I have difficulty describing the flavors as well as the marketing hoopla but it was pleasant and smooth.

And come on, two pulls on a bong is hardly enough time to savor the nuances of the experience !

The buds weren't quite as dense as I thought they would be but still firm enough.

Cheers
I’m hearing so many great things about this AB that I’m really going to have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. And happy Father’s Day Chuckeye. CL🍀 :thumb: :thanks:

Final report.

Cheers
Congratulations Amigo WoW :bravo: :woohoo:
What A Haul

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Greetings,

Seem to be quite a bit of interest in this strain lately !

Apple Betty @HerbiesSeeds

This is an abridged version of my journey up to today. 134 days total, 81 days of flower ;)

A couple of weeks over their guesstimate, he, he..

Full grow in my signature....

I germinated one seed in a shot glass with about an ounce of distilled water and a spritz of Hydrogen Peroxide.

Glass placed in a Tupperware container on my kitchen table, 48 hours later we have lift off !

Placed in a yogurt/solo cup a finger nail deep with ProMix HP and moistened with a solution of .7g/gallon of MC one part.

When the cup starts to feel "light" I water until run off, slowly around the edges. Wet/dry right from the start.

Well water, no ph down and no Cal/Mag ;)

Before I had my light to plant height worked out she was likely 3" high. I simply mounded the medium around her to support her.

Transplanted at day 17, sprinkled the root ball with DYNOMYCO C Mycorrhizal Fungi and placed in a prepared hole in a 5 gallon fabric bag of dampened ProMix HP.

Roots Apple Betty 23 Jan 23.jpg

My training plan was to keep her short and aim for a dozen or so dominate tops.

Topped at day 20 (?) above the fifth node, a day or so later removed first and second nodes.

Trained horizontal until 20" wide. By this time the top nodes lower branches needed pulling down to keep the canopy level.

Day 3l.

Day 31 Apple Betty 9 Feb 23.jpg

Day 41.

Day 41 Apple Betty High 19 Feb 23.jpg

Day 3 of flower.

Day 3 Apple Betty 7 Mar 23.jpg

Day 12 of flower.

Day 12 Apple Betty 16 Mar 23.jpg

I roughly followed the MC feeding schedule on the Green Leaf Nutrient web site. When lower leaves start to show yellow I up the nutrients by .5g/gallon.

But, I tend to push a little and at day 48 (?) of flower 6.75g/gallon was a little bit much. Not a problem but I like to see my leaves green to the end !

PPM at that time was 960...

Backed off to 6g/gallon on day 51 of flower, never having seen nutrient burn with MC before I switched to 5.0g/gallon of GE MaxiBloom.

What threw me was the leaf tips were curled UP and then the necrosis progressed.

I'm used to seeing straight tip burns ;)

When she reached 30" high I installed a 20" diameter wire hoop on bamboo stakes and did a light lollipopping.

This evening I added a center pole and soft wire supports. A little but too much for comfort "leaning", he, he...

She is 45" tall and those top "buds" are a full 16" long o_O

Day 81 Apple Betty Support 22 May 23.jpg

Day 79 Apple Betty bud Crop 20 May 23.jpg

In summary, relatively easy to grow. Could reach five or six feet without training !

A "normal" feeder, I won't push the food next time !

So looking forward to a taste test :bongrip:

Cheers, eh ?
So did you swap from mega crop nutes ?

Flipped the lights on day 55. Harvested at day 107 of flower for a total of 162 days from seed.

With training I managed to keep her below 45".

Apple Betty yield.jpg

Cheers
Nice Haul !
The 1st AB I started... I thought stalled as it was very little. So I started another & it did the same thing. I'm guessing these seedlings start out smaller than most from my experience so far. Seeds are much smaller too. The plant looks pretty normal now, but doesn't have the really thick stems my other 3 strains have.

Nice Haul !
The 1st AB I started... I thought stalled as it was very little. So I started another & it did the same thing. I'm guessing these seedlings start out smaller than most from my experience so far. Seeds are much smaller too. The plant looks pretty normal now, but doesn't have the really thick stems my other 3 strains have.
Hmmmm, didn't really notice that with mine.

But the seed was the nicest of the bunch !

Apple Betty seed.jpg

Apple Betty is the front one @ day 13.....

Day 13 The Girls 22 Jan 23.jpg

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom