Glass

Not sure what curing in glass does chemically other than converting starches to sugars. Mostly that it’s the old school preferred method, of course some peeps swear by Grove bags.

Glass because it’s sand heated to 14 bajillion degrees to make glass which pretty much ensures no nasties can survive the process. Also cuz plastics get their start as highly refined petrochemicals

Yes / no…. yes you can recycle any glass container but we specifically choose Mason or Ball type glass canning jars because rings and lids are easy to use, provide a tight seal & cheap to replace.

Most folks take it one step further and store jars of buds in dark place to protect trichs…

choose Mason or Ball type glass canning jars because rings and lids are easy to use, provide a tight seal & cheap to replace.
I figure that is one of the main reasons. Also, canning jar rings and lids are universal. Buy brand X "regular mouth" rings and they will fit any true canning jar no matter what company made the jar. Same for the lids.

...yes you can recycle any glass container but we specifically choose Mason or Ball type glass canning jars ...
Something to keep in mind is that true glass canning jars are a tempered glass designed to handle temperatures in a pressure canner that go well above the boiling point of water. My experience has been that curb-side and drop-off recycling programs do not want canning jars mixed in because they might cause issues with the melting process, etc.

Back in the day, mayonnaise and the 'salad dressing' substitute came in glass quart jars with screw on lids. Those glass jars would take the same rings and lids that fit canning jars.

I'm just thinking that brown apothecary glass probably would be great, bit of added protection against rays.
At least one of the major canning jar manufacturers is making jars specifically for blocking UV light. Same lids and rings but a different color. The glass color is similar to that brown you mentioned. Price on the UV light blocking jars is ridiculous but people are buying them.

I think amber glass it the more correct term but if it's filled with a darker liquid or thick glass it's a bit more brown to me.
But yeah that blocks all UV light and has been around since a long time and shouldn't be that much upcharge.. there's also dark violet glass they sell specifically for ultraviolet purpose but amber should be cheaper and function much the same.

And yes put them in the dark works as well.. but for the usage jar that gets moved around it's maybe not a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom