From Seed Grow #4: New Journal

Dan Dark

I started with seeds last year but out of 15 tries I got only 3 plants - 2 Jack Herrer and 1 Durban Poison. Since then I've become okay at cloning and have sustained and grown those original three seeds now into more than 20 plants. I'm now establish a special tent for my Mothers and Veg plants.

So, all in it is time to try seeds again with the help of you Master Growers. Several have already sent instructions so today I'll start my journal with the step by step of setting up this grow, beginning with sprouting seeds (yes I feel very vulnerable, so be kind!).

The purchasing process was a bit challenging and it took 4 days to "prove" I had sent the wire. I was cranky but the vendor True North Seed Bank was incredibly kind throughout. Their customer servie=ce people really are very Canadien - that is to say just nice people, even when I was a bit cranky.

Once paid they shipped fast but it still took over 2 weeks to get to my place. The tracking was off - not True North's problem of course, but the seeds arrived almost a month after I ordered and paid which I found a little frustrating. I have been growing Sativa and Satica dominant strains so I am anxious to try some Indica Dominant hybrids. Here's the three I purchased for this grow.
  • 8 Ball Kush from Barney's Farms - This short and sturdy plant is a good choice for both SOG and ScrOG gardens and is considered good for beginners.
    It grows wide, with thick stems and dark leaves that produce dense buds. The flavors all resemble a classic Kush, earthy and musky, with deep spicy accents.
  • Aurora Indica from Nirvana Seeds is an F1 hybrid of Afghan and Northern Light. Its plants stay short, producing heavy colas and dense buds. This marijuana strain produces exceptional amounts of resin, resulting in a deep, near-black hash with a tasty aroma and a heavy buzz. This probably is Nirvana's most potent Indica seeds strain.
  • Gelato is a delightful cross of Sunset Sherbet and Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies coming natively from the Bay area of California. As you would expect from the name, Gelato carries a fruity, dessert like aroma. The diverse terpene profile provides a complex flavour that has been described as sweet, citrus, earthy, mint, berry, cookie, and even lavender. The buds of Gelato almost always retain dark purple hues, with fiery orange pistils, topped in an excessive amount of trichomes. The effect of Gelato typically has a very strong physical relaxation effect, while also being well balanced enough to retain focus and productivity.
The seed packaging was VERY different. The Canuck Seeds and the extra sed came in small tubes, perfect for a fat-fingered grower like me. The Nirvana Seeds came packed in a flat bubble pack where you remove a small dot from the back. Assuming they has a tube inside (it looks like it - see photo) I opened the back and boom all 5 seds were on the floor! Ten minutes later I fortunately found all 5 but damn what shitty package - I will never buy again just because I know I'd lose them! The Barneys Far,s was the most robust package with each seed packed into it's own little cell. I've included pics of all of this here:

IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2654.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG

I placed the seeds into glass cups with water and labelled them. Then I put them into a box (to keep it dark) and put them into my clone tent for the first 24 hours. Tomorrow I'll post step #2 of putting the (hopefully) cracked seeds into a paper towel and then directly into soil. Don't worry! I'll include details setup and steps at each new step.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll post more if you are willing to follow me. Here we grow again!

IMG_2658.JPG

I started with seeds last year but out of 15 tries I got only 3 plants - 2 Jack Herrer and 1 Durban Poison. Since then I've become okay at cloning and have sustained and grown those original three seeds now into more than 20 plants. I'm now establish a special tent for my Mothers and Veg plants.

So, all in it is time to try seeds again with the help of you Master Growers. Several have already sent instructions so today I'll start my journal with the step by step of setting up this grow, beginning with sprouting seeds (yes I feel very vulnerable, so be kind!).

The purchasing process was a bit challenging and it took 4 days to "prove" I had sent the wire. I was cranky but the vendor True North Seed Bank was incredibly kind throughout. Their customer servie=ce people really are very Canadien - that is to say just nice people, even when I was a bit cranky.

Once paid they shipped fast but it still took over 2 weeks to get to my place. The tracking was off - not True North's problem of course, but the seeds arrived almost a month after I ordered and paid which I found a little frustrating. I have been growing Sativa and Satica dominant strains so I am anxious to try some Indica Dominant hybrids. Here's the three I purchased for this grow.
  • 8 Ball Kush from Barney's Farms - This short and sturdy plant is a good choice for both SOG and ScrOG gardens and is considered good for beginners.
    It grows wide, with thick stems and dark leaves that produce dense buds. The flavors all resemble a classic Kush, earthy and musky, with deep spicy accents.
  • Aurora Indica from Nirvana Seeds is an F1 hybrid of Afghan and Northern Light. Its plants stay short, producing heavy colas and dense buds. This marijuana strain produces exceptional amounts of resin, resulting in a deep, near-black hash with a tasty aroma and a heavy buzz. This probably is Nirvana's most potent Indica seeds strain.
  • Gelato is a delightful cross of Sunset Sherbet and Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies coming natively from the Bay area of California. As you would expect from the name, Gelato carries a fruity, dessert like aroma. The diverse terpene profile provides a complex flavour that has been described as sweet, citrus, earthy, mint, berry, cookie, and even lavender. The buds of Gelato almost always retain dark purple hues, with fiery orange pistils, topped in an excessive amount of trichomes. The effect of Gelato typically has a very strong physical relaxation effect, while also being well balanced enough to retain focus and productivity.
The seed packaging was VERY different. The Canuck Seeds and the extra sed came in small tubes, perfect for a fat-fingered grower like me. The Nirvana Seeds came packed in a flat bubble pack where you remove a small dot from the back. Assuming they has a tube inside (it looks like it - see photo) I opened the back and boom all 5 seds were on the floor! Ten minutes later I fortunately found all 5 but damn what shitty package - I will never buy again just because I know I'd lose them! The Barneys Far,s was the most robust package with each seed packed into it's own little cell. I've included pics of all of this here:

IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2654.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG

I placed the seeds into glass cups with water and labelled them. Then I put them into a box (to keep it dark) and put them into my clone tent for the first 24 hours. Tomorrow I'll post step #2 of putting the (hopefully) cracked seeds into a paper towel and then directly into soil. Don't worry! I'll include details setup and steps at each new step.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll post more if you are willing to follow me. Here we grow again!

IMG_2658.JPG
I'm on my first grow, so I hesitate in giving advise. At $10+ a seed I really did a lot of reading and YouTubing. I wanted the best chance at them germinating. I used peat pods in humidity dome with a warming mat under the tray and a 12 inch t5 light above them. 4 out of 4 my first attempt was what I hoped for using the process. Soon as they germinated I wasted no time in putting in their first pot.

I'm on my first grow, so I hesitate in giving advise. At $10+ a seed I really did a lot of reading and YouTubing. I wanted the best chance at them germinating. I used peat pods in humidity dome with a warming mat under the tray and a 12 inch t5 light above them. 4 out of 4 my first attempt was what I hoped for using the process. Soon as they germinated I wasted no time in putting in their first pot.
OMG you are my hero! Out of 15 seeds I bought last summer I ended up sprouting just 3! I am a gonzo seed killer even for this supposed "weed". Given that I spent $150 for 3 plants in my first grow I took a lot of clones. But, I realize I need the seed plan too. Here's what I am doing - coming in my daily grow journal.

Seed are placed into a cup of water for 24 hours or so, then into papr topwels (the seed manufacturer will only guarantee them if you follow thier proces exactly). Once the tap root is visible I plan to put them into my soil. perlite mix inside a humidity dome. I became expert at killing baby seedl;ings with too much water so I plan to water initially with my dropper. The humidity dome sits inside my clone tent on a heat mat.

So, I'm thinking I am close to your guidance and will follow it as I go through these next stages. Anyone who can get 4 from 4 is my new role model- :thanks::hug:

OMG you are my hero! Out of 15 seeds I bought last summer I ended up sprouting just 3! I am a gonzo seed killer even for this supposed "weed". Given that I spent $150 for 3 plants in my first grow I took a lot of clones. But, I realize I need the seed plan too. Here's what I am doing - coming in my daily grow journal.

Seed are placed into a cup of water for 24 hours or so, then into papr topwels (the seed manufacturer will only guarantee them if you follow thier proces exactly). Once the tap root is visible I plan to put them into my soil. perlite mix inside a humidity dome. I became expert at killing baby seedl;ings with too much water so I plan to water initially with my dropper. The humidity dome sits inside my clone tent on a heat mat.

So, I'm thinking I am close to your guidance and will follow it as I go through these next stages. Anyone who can get 4 from 4 is my new role model- :thanks::hug:
I know that the method you used is probably most used, but from all the research I did I figured last thing I wanted to do is try to get more seeds or hassle with having to try to germinate more. I wanted the ones I had to have best chance. I figured if it was a failure I could alway say I did it their suggested way. Anyway... I think I will continue to do it this way. You do need to cut away the bag they're bagged in, then they're ready for their first home.
Good luck!!!!!

DD8F96BC-921D-4389-B03F-208F1A021BB6.jpeg

Day 2 of my first from seed grow with True North Seed Bank. Today I opened my box to find 5 of 6 seeds had already cracked! That is a first for me. I put everything inside wet paper towels for another 48 hours before planting when the tap root is about 1/4 inch.

While we wait tomorrow I will pull together my seedling tray and post pics of each step for getting ready to actually plant these seeds! May the force be with me for getting 6 of 6 sprouted and growing for my summer crop!

IMG_2662 (1).JPG
IMG_2663 (1).JPG
IMG_2664 (2).JPG
IMG_2665 (3).JPG

Day 2 of my first from seed grow with True North Seed Bank. Today I opened my box to find 5 of 6 seeds had already cracked! That is a first for me. I put everything inside wet paper towels for another 48 hours before planting when the tap root is about 1/4 inch.

While we wait tomorrow I will pull together my seedling tray and post pics of each step for getting ready to actually plant these seeds! May the force be with me for getting 6 of 6 sprouted and growing for my summer crop!

IMG_2662 (1).JPG
IMG_2663 (1).JPG
IMG_2664 (2).JPG
IMG_2665 (3).JPG

IMG_2662 (1).JPG
IMG_2663 (1).JPG
IMG_2664 (2).JPG
IMG_2665 (3).JPG
Looks like True North Seed Bank has come through with some good seeds. I'll be keeping an eye on this grow for sure.
:popcorn: :cheer::adore:

I hope the new growers like the format of getting a daily dose instead of a dump about everything on day 1. I will post a few times a week at each event stage and lay out the process, equipment and strategies for each as they happen on this grow.

While we wait for our seeds to sprout a nice taproot in wet paper towels we can prepare our grow media to receive the seeds when they are ready tomorrow or Friday. I like to get about a 1/4" tap root before putting my seeds into soil. This is the little humidity dome I use for sprouts and sometimes for clones. Available cheap at any online retailer of grow supplies.

IMG_2671.JPG

To prepare I prefill the six spots I will use to plant the seeds. I like the clear bottoms because you can easily see root development. I also over-label everything - so I can remember which seeds are which of course but also recall the place I bought them, which genetics they come from (the seed bank not type), and the name. At each event stage I add dates and information until the label is totally full at harvest.
IMG_2669.JPG

Last I add water with a TINY bit of Cal Mag to each cup and test the Ph to make sure they are ready to accept the seedlings. At this stage I shoot for a Ph of 6 to get them started.

Now they will sit, wet on the shelf until the seedling babies are ready to move!

Next step planting seedlings.
I

Day 3, 5 of 6 seeds have already sprouted enough to be put into a grow medium! Everything except the Gelata has popped and even that seeds looks like it has finally cracked. I've learned the hard way that even some of the runts end up making amazing plants.

This step involves checking the seedlings in their paper incubator. I've had them in a box on my heat mat in the clone tent so maybe heat and some friends made them feel safe in popping so fast. Of course it could also be that True North Seed Bank delivered some amazing seeds - thanks TNSB!

Here's the photos showing each tap root. The least far along (other than the Gelato I left in incubatuion for now), was fully cracked so I planted it because I think it is far enough along.

Aurora Indica
IMG_2672.JPG

8-Ball Kush

IMG_2674.JPG

White Widow

IMG_2673.JPG

And the poor sister - Gelato is still in the cup

IMG_2677.JPG

To plant the now sprouted seedlings I use a humidity dome with clear bottom that allows me to see root development. This ensures I hold the sedling until it is fully rooted minimizing the chances I ruin a new plant by repotting too soon.

To prepare I use the preloaded cells and labels I made while I was waiting for the seeds to sprout. The materials you'll want on hand are: your humidity dome (available everywhere on line and they're cheap!), a spray bottle with water only, tweezers for placing the tap root down, labels and your journal.

IMG_E2676.JPG

Next step, watch as roots develop. Watering for now will be done with a spray bottle, just enough to keep the soil damp. This step usually takes at least a week or two - be patient.

Next up roots and grow tent set up.

At the one week mark we have 100% germination success with 8-Ball Kush from Barne's seeds and all 5 of the Aurora Indica! Unfortunately all the seeds fromCanuck seeds either did not sprout at all (not one of the Gelato's has popped even after a week in paper towels!). Pic's later today!

At the one week mark we have 100% germination success with 8-Ball Kush from Barne's seeds and all 5 of the Aurora Indica! Unfortunately all the seeds fromCanuck seeds either did not sprout at all (not one of the Gelato's has popped even after a week in paper towels!). Pic's later today!
put'em in some peat pods... stop the madness... :cheer:

I'm gonna try this. Unfortunately the seed banks say if you do not follow their protocol they never replace seeds. That's why I tried it this way.
Good Luck D. tutorials are easy to find on this method. It will already be in a medium ready to up pot immediately.
1- Soak peat pod in puddle. Let them up take the water. They will become 5+ times bigger.
2- Poke hole about .25 inch. drop seed in.
3- Lightly push some dirt in hole over seed.
4- Put them In dome heating pad at 75 degrees and I bet you see your seedling within three days. I also had small T5 over them.
No need to soak in water before.

Good Luck D. tutorials are easy to find on this method. It will already be in a medium ready to up pot immediately.
1- Soak peat pod in puddle. Let them up talk the water. They will become 5+ times bigger.
2- Poke hole about .25 inch. drop seed in.
3- Lightly push some dirt in hole over seed.
4- Put them In dome heating pad at 75 degrees and I bet you see your seedling within three days. I also had small T5 over them.
True North kindly agreed to replace my seeds that did not even crack - kind of them. But they did so only because I used the method they recommended. Maybe I can take you up on this with the replacements!

So, a great lesson in great customer service AND why to buy from reputable seed banks. I had placed an order with True North on an awesome special for Canuk Seeds. In corresponding IO expressed concern that my other Canuk Seeds had not popped and looked to be dead while all others had a 100% germination. They immediately agreed to replace the seeds even though I was really only looking for reassurance on my current purchase! That says they care. It says they support us. AND, it says I will buy from them faithfully knowing they are both credible and honorable! Thank you True North Seed Bank!!

This is how i germ. Soak in Water for 18hrs. Then paper towel for two days. Once i see taproots, go into expanding peat pucks. Til i see roots poking out. Then upcan to pots.
Works everytime!

True North kindly agreed to replace my seeds that did not even crack - kind of them. But they did so only because I used the method they recommended. Maybe I can take you up on this with the replacements!
If you get higher percent of germination your really doing them the favor.
This is what i do.
Soak in Water for 18hrs. Then paper towel for two days. Once i see taproots, go into expanding peat pucks. Til i see roots poking out. Then upcan to pots.
Works everytime!
I go straight in to peat pods and have seedling in 2 or 3 days... yes everyone that uses this method swears by it. Not so much any other method.

DD8F96BC-921D-4389-B03F-208F1A021BB6.jpeg

So, a great lesson in great customer service AND why to buy from reputable seed banks. I had placed an order with True North on an awesome special for Canuk Seeds. In corresponding IO expressed concern that my other Canuk Seeds had not popped and looked to be dead while all others had a 100% germination. They immediately agreed to replace the seeds even though I was really only looking for reassurance on my current purchase! That says they care. It says they support us. AND, it says I will buy from them faithfully knowing they are both credible and honorable! Thank you True North Seed Bank!!
Those Canuk seeds are very expensive. For the price you pay for those I hope they stand behind them especially if they're telling you how to germinate. What a hassle tho. I'd rather have my seeds pop.

Back
Top Bottom