Friend Or Foe? Predators Of Eden

hmm cant seem to copy images ...anyway

the first one is a type of wolfspider it hunts prey by stalking it and jumping/pouncing it, it is characterised by the two big forwardlooking eyes ( for stereovision to calculate the distance to jump)

full

this is a very tiny cicada, they are a foe for plants as they suck sap thru a small syringe like stinger as a mouth part
most cicadas are huge and make a hell of a racket at night or the day, they come with wingspans well exceeding 15cm

full

this looks like a mayfly larva molt

full

this one is a Chironomidae or better known as midges, harmless

Hover_fly.jpg

this is a member of Sphyridae or Hoverflies, harmless

you are correct with the predatory wasp and the long legged fly

:ganjamon:
Knowledge! This is awesome! Thank you!!

Cheers! I’m mostly here just celebrating them with my pics and hoping to ‘outsource’ some ID work -hoping that when I can’t figure it out someone will come around eventually to help me out! :D

Speaking of which... I hear that @Liquidintel has a knack for insect ID....
:passitleft:
I'm no expert by any means, but I do enjoy a good google hunt to try and identify!

very nice pics ... ill get to work i already have some narrowed down to certain types

:thanks:
:yahoo::nomo:

very tiny cicada, they are a foe for plants as they suck sap thru a small syringe like stinger as a mouth part most cicadas are huge and make a hell of a racket at night or the day, they come with wingspans well exceeding 15cm
I knew it looked kind of familiar! We are surrounded by the big ones all summer - and yes, the din they make is incredibe :eek: . I think I remember that that little one was on another plant - not my ganja. It’s great to know what that is: in the forest? - friend, on my plant? - foe.
:thumb:

first one is a type of wolfspider it hunts prey by stalking it and jumping/pouncing it, it is characterised by the two big forwardlooking eyes ( for stereovision to calculate the distance to jump)
Cool! :bravo: I didn’t know those were part of the wolf spider grouping :D We have lots of small ones like that. That one is about an inch accross.
this looks like a mayfly larva molt
Excellent - i’ll enjoy looking further on to that.
Sphyridae or Hoverflies, harmless
you are correct with the predatory wasp and the long legged fly

:ganjamon:

Man! I’m so grateful :Namaste: And excited!

Thanks so much :high-five:
:passitleft:

I always have a lot of webless spiders in the garden, both on the plants & on the ground. They do great work--love 'em!

White Fly - they’re Foe!

In an outdoor garden you’ll notice them as lots of tiny white things that scatter when a plant is brushed. They suck sap from plants and leave a ‘honeydew’ residue on leaves, which can lead to fungal disease if left unchecked.
(Good reference here: Whiteflies)

I see them a bit, but not often on the ganja.

Thankfully we have plenty of these of all different colours kinds and sizes. I watch them hawking whitefly regularly. This one was literally perched up above this - the whitefly doesn’t stand a chance!

Also on this same plant I discovered another cannaguardian. It is minute, only about 3.5mm and a Critical Mass that’s just beginning to flower is it’s universe :D

On the same morning I was lucky enough to share a quiet moment with one of our resident hoverflies and seeing as they hawk whitefly as well, it definitely deserves inclusion :)

View media item 1653395
View media item 1653394
... an hour in the garden this week

:Namaste:

Hey, these little beauties deserve to be dropped in here too! The very next morning after the jumping spider above, this!

There is another spider on that plant but it was on the other side (it’s a fairly wide plant), so I’m guessing in a presumptive kind of way that these are baby jumping spiders. They’re so tiny I cant get a clear picture. Maybe i’ll take the tripod out later and try that way.:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom