Fire Safety: How do you prevent a disaster?

When I setup indoors I generally use 1800w max on a circuit of 15amps as a rule of thumb which is what most bedroom/offices will have. That doesn't mean that I'm going to load the circuit to max. I typically top out the circuit at 20% of its max being 1440w. A typical 3 x 3 will have a light that puts out around 300w. Fans and other gear like humidifier/dehumidifier/pumps will add another few hundred watts at the most so most home setups should be ok with what they currently have. In my case I'll be setting up several tents so I upgraded the room wiring.

I just moved and the room I'm setting up to start the first grow has already been rewired from the breaker with 12 gauge along with a new 20 amp GFCI breaker. Because I don't have any motor loads on the circuit I can actually go up to 25 amps but 20 should be more than sufficient for what I need. The main box is old but still in good condition and the main breaker was replaced a few years ago. I also replaced the plugs that were in the wall with a heavier duty plug that can handle more amperage through it. I basically fortify everything along the path so that I don't get any choke points where overheating and fire can possibly happen.

I think what most people should do when setting up a grow room in their homes is to swap out the breaker they will be using with a new one at the very least unless they know for sure the breaker is in good enough shape to handle the load it was built for. Thankfully I'm handy enough that I can do the work myself but for those that can't they'll need to decide whether the wiring that they presently have is properly gauged to the amount of electricity they will be running through it and if employing an electrician is worth it. Most homes built in the last 50 years will typically have 14 gauge running through their walls. This should be able to support the 1800w the 15amp breaker will be able to provide.

After the source has been fortified to be able to take some heavy amp loads, a properly gauged extension is needed from the wall to the tent. Inside the tent I use a heavy duty multi plug extension with a 15amp breaker on it and plug everything directly to it. If I ever have to use an extension inside the tent I make sure that the extension is a grade up from what the device requires but I try and not use.

While all of that will most likely prevent any sort of electrical fire, a smoke detector or several in and outside the tent in the room the tent will be are also a must. 5lb fire extinguisher at minimum and, if you can go a step further and install an automatic fire suppression system even better.

BTW those automatic fire extinguisher balls don't work very well in a tent fire.
Thanks Buddy :thanks:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

When I setup indoors I generally use 1800w max on a circuit of 15amps as a rule of thumb which is what most bedroom/offices will have. That doesn't mean that I'm going to load the circuit to max. I typically top out the circuit at 20% of its max being 1440w. A typical 3 x 3 will have a light that puts out around 300w. Fans and other gear like humidifier/dehumidifier/pumps will add another few hundred watts at the most so most home setups should be ok with what they currently have. In my case I'll be setting up several tents so I upgraded the room wiring.

I just moved and the room I'm setting up to start the first grow has already been rewired from the breaker with 12 gauge along with a new 20 amp GFCI breaker. Because I don't have any motor loads on the circuit I can actually go up to 25 amps but 20 should be more than sufficient for what I need. The main box is old but still in good condition and the main breaker was replaced a few years ago. I also replaced the plugs that were in the wall with a heavier duty plug that can handle more amperage through it. I basically fortify everything along the path so that I don't get any choke points where overheating and fire can possibly happen.

I think what most people should do when setting up a grow room in their homes is to swap out the breaker they will be using with a new one at the very least unless they know for sure the breaker is in good enough shape to handle the load it was built for. Thankfully I'm handy enough that I can do the work myself but for those that can't they'll need to decide whether the wiring that they presently have is properly gauged to the amount of electricity they will be running through it and if employing an electrician is worth it. Most homes built in the last 50 years will typically have 14 gauge running through their walls. This should be able to support the 1800w the 15amp breaker will be able to provide.

After the source has been fortified to be able to take some heavy amp loads, a properly gauged extension is needed from the wall to the tent. Inside the tent I use a heavy duty multi plug extension with a 15amp breaker on it and plug everything directly to it. If I ever have to use an extension inside the tent I make sure that the extension is a grade up from what the device requires but I try and not use.

While all of that will most likely prevent any sort of electrical fire, a smoke detector or several in and outside the tent in the room the tent will be are also a must. 5lb fire extinguisher at minimum and, if you can go a step further and install an automatic fire suppression system even better.

BTW those automatic fire extinguisher balls don't work very well in a tent fire.
When i bought this place almost 3yrs ago i did have all the circuts updated with a new box. Yep my home had 60yr old box.

When i bought this place almost 3yrs ago i did have all the circuts updated with a new box. Yep my home had 60yr old box.
Good job.
Peace of mind :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Why do you say those automatic fire balls dont work very well? I thought they would be great for a small tent grow.

Why do you say those automatic fire balls dont work very well? I thought they would be great for a small tent grow.
They are untestable like a proper fire extinguisher or system.
Apparently there have been bad reviews aswell.
But there are fire extinguishers that can be mounted in a similar way.
Give me a minute I’ll find it.

Edit: I found 2

2C8CBDAF-C10C-40AB-B285-9F17E05344E3.png

FCFDE395-A2C8-4D56-9083-3D1002356244.png

Back
Top Bottom