Crown Royal 3x3 Indoor In Cold Room, Soil

Like you it’s my first time also with a tent. I done same as you did some reading and started early !!
I use a soil call Pro-Mix from WaMa and I did get same meter as you for the soil, even if I had a proper PH meter from before. I didnt worry so much of my PH but rather the Temp and Humidity. I never gave any nuttes until it was in flowering mode, so I think you’re right the soil the water where you live, humidity we all face a bit of different chalenge. It was recommended to me to go right to the growing pot to start. So from the seed cracked it went to my growing pot.
Are you also using a fan in the tent to blow gently on the plants?

So a quick update.
I decided it was time to move to a larger pot.

When I re-potted, I noticed there were some roots scrunched up the bottom, but not what I would consider root bound or anything. I was tempted to put in fabric pots - but I only had 10 gallon pots which are way too large for right now. I might consider moving them to bigger pots later.
IMG_4333.jpg

I have a feeling my vegetative state is going to be longer than I thought.

I'm still not getting a dark color from them. My runoff is acidic, even after a good flushing. I'm going to flush again with a more basic (7ish) pH and see how they do.

Still haven't got my digital pH meter.

I didn't water from the 9th till the 13th. After successful re-potting on 13th, watered with slightly basic (6.5) water. I should have went stronger because the run (was cloudy/dark with new soil) off showing 5-ish. Not great.

Attachments

• IMG_4329.jpg
    IMG_4329.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4330.jpg
    IMG_4330.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4331.jpg
    IMG_4331.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4332.jpg
    IMG_4332.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 37
I plan to water the girls later today with some slightly basic water. No nutrients other than CalMag since the soil is fresh.

They are still more yellow than I want. I'll attempt to win the battle by bringing the pH up. I'll be flushing them and measuring the run-off. Will report back.

Attachments

• IMG_4339.jpg
    IMG_4339.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4340.jpg
    IMG_4340.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4341.jpg
    IMG_4341.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4342.jpg
    IMG_4342.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 41
Update time. On the 18th, I decided they were finally healthy enough to top. The new growth was starting to get greener. I'm thinking I finally started to pH the water (and nutrients correctly)

All the plants had about 6 to 8 nodes.
I tossed the tops removed in Clonex and some rapid routers to see if they would take. I used my blade to cut the bottom stem in 4 to expose more of the stem insides to the rooting compound and water. First time doing it, so I will see if they take. I also took a cutting of the Basil plant I have in my tent. If the clones take, I know some people who would giving growing a try or Veg the plant for a while. Not interested in having more than 4 plants (arbitrary number Canada law) but i'd be fine if they were fostered elsewhere.

After topping, I watered with Nutrients again. I use the GH Micro/Floura/Bloom trio + CalMag

One of the things I'm curious about is the right mix of these things at vegetative state. I've seen a lot of recipes, and I noticed that the one I was using was super diluted. I was using something like
1 mL / gallon of Micro, 1 mL / gallon of Floura, 0.5 mL of Bloom/gallon. 1mL of CalMag. I was afraid of the nutrient burn.

I found another that indicated this:
4 mL / gallon micro
3 mL / gallon flura
1 mL / gallon bloom
2 mL / gallon CalMag.

(I have no idea why it isn't mL / litre --- that is a different story) If anyone has any thoughts on the right recipes in mL and litres (not teaspoons and gallons) -- please direct me.

So I fed them with stronger nutrients. I shall see how they react.

I think all of my earlier yellowing problems were pH problems. The runoff of my "custom soil mix" is super acid. Even after 2 flushes post transplant to new pots.

Side by side comparison of pre-top -- post top.

I'm going to wait a while before I remove the older lower growth / damaged leaves. They will go once my new / healthy stems come in.
Picture1.png
Picture2.png
Picture3.png
Picture4.png
, i'm still seeing run off of about 5.0 to 5.5 -- whereas my in-going water was in the 6.5 range.

Saturdays!

Just an update. The 4 girls are still looking healthy to me, compared to earlier.

The cuttings / tops don't look so good in the rapid routers. Not sure if tops normally do well as clones?

So some of my plants have some nasty looking leaves, and i'm deciding to keep them for a while. They are caused by me (not mold or caterpillars or something that would spread) so I don't see much risk for leaving them for a while.

This journal will show the good, the bad and the ugly. I was in the bad earlier, but now - maybe just ugly for a while.

I was told I need a hobby, so I'm starting to really to enjoy this. The first month was sooo slow. But I'm noticing day to day changes and good growth - so it is a bit more interesting.

My "cold room" tent is incredibly dry. I have 2 buckets of water in there (evaporation) - but the plants dry out quickly. I'm wondering what the impact of vegetative state at 30% relative humidity. Day after watering, it ups to about 40%, but then creeps down. I might put a humidifier in there, but for now - I think it is preventing me from feeling like they are over watered. I assume this will help keeping away nasty stuff like mold / bud rot during flowering.

IMG_4360.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4358.jpg
IMG_4357.jpg

If people kill of plants its usually by paying the too much attention and interfering to often. Relax and stuff will usually come good as the plants get bigger and more robust
I agree a with you there buddy! :high-five:
I didnt start seeing real results until I adopted the LITFA technique. LoL
:rofl:

@TryingHigh , things are looking good. I think you're beating yourself up a bit too much with this first grow. Keep it simple and it can be simple.
:thumb:
Everything looks good so far...
A good schedule for nutes & water, coupled with good temps & light will produce every time.

I'm gonna tag along if you don't mind...
:passitleft:

I agree a with you there buddy! :high-five:
I didnt start seeing real results until I adopted the LITFA technique. LoL
:rofl:

@TryingHigh , things are looking good. I think you're beating yourself up a bit too much with this first grow. Keep it simple and it can be simple.

First grow yes. In my younger years, I worked in an agriculture research centre doing stress related experiments on spinach and blueberries. I'm getting back to my botanical roots so to speak. I used to work a 4000 sq foot indoor grow room (scientific level light/water/humidity control) ... but I mostly focused on post harvest stress related activities.

I'm not stressing too much. More "fun" than anything for sure.

So here goes...

This is a first grow attempt but I've done a great deal of research, google, journal reading before hand. With a first grow - i expected to gain experience and keep things somewhat standard and vanilla. Nothing goes as planned.

As of now, I'm still in the vegetative stage and faced some interesting challenges. My plants aren't health (yet) but they are alive.

I've been keeping all my grow journal notes locally, but I figured it was time to post. I'll start with some of my plan, thoughts and then get directly into the timeline and pictures.

First off - description of where I planned to grow. Growing 4 plants will be legal soon (few days), so I thought I would attempt growing myself. I couldn't really place in the finished part of my house because I entertain a lot - and there still is a stigma. I have a weird "out building" that I refer to as my "cold room". You need to go outside to access it. It is is lockable, insulated, private and 'unheated'. I'm really going to find out how much this impacts my ability to grow as it is my "only space". It gets cold in there in the winter, but it is such a small and insulated space - I can manage keeping it warm without too much $money$ dumped into it.

Room itself is about 12 x 12, but only 6 foot ceiling. Gravel floor. I had to get a tent that wasn't 80inches high. This limited my tent size..

Ended up going with a MarsHydro 39''x39''x70'' . I'm pleased with it. So a tad bigger than 3x3.

I did tons of light research, and I ended up going with a Vivosun 600watt bulb and ballast mostly because I was on some older sites that said HPS is the way to go. Lots of negativity on LEDs. I've since come to rethink / re educate myself and think that LED can really work for some. Because of the nature of the grow room and the extra heat I would need.. I think HPS was good for me.

My plan was for 16/8 hour cycle for the light during veg. (Plans change as you will see later)

So I started ordering my equipment. I had been thinking about this for a while, so I was squirrelling away a 20$ here and there. I decided to dive in and just start earlier than the legalization. I knew I wouldn't be flowering by the time legalization dates rolled around. Just a head start by a month or two.

I ordered 10 seeds from Crop King / Crown Royal.

So the gear started to arrive.
I'M SURE YOUR COLD ROOM WILL BE PERFECT FOR YOU PLANTS ME MYSELF I CALL MYSELF THE EPITOME OF THE GHETTO GROWER SO I WILL BE MONITORING YOUR PROGRESS AS YOU NOTE IN YOUR JOURNAL HAPPY GROW...

Today I did a little bit of Manifolding prep... and Fed. The runt has become the biggest stem, most leaves lady. Also seeing if the cuttings can become clones. Most of the cuttings are sprouting new leaves. Will put in pots once I see some roots popping out bottom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 43
Today I did a little bit of Manifolding prep... and Fed. The runt has become the biggest stem, most leaves lady. Also seeing if the cuttings can become clones. Most of the cuttings are sprouting new leaves. Will put in pots once I see some roots popping out bottom
LOOKING GOOD...

Decided to do a water today with small amount of Calmag. (no other nutrients). Will do a full strength feeding next cycle.

Most are being mainlined in the same fashion, except this one:
IMG_4381.jpg

It has 3 functioning stems right now - instead of 2 like therest. I topped all 3.

The other three plants didn't look mature enough for me to remove, so they will remain un-topped -- just trained for now:
IMG_4380.jpg
IMG_4379.jpg
IMG_4382.jpg

They will be ready for another feed tomorrow, I need to spend some time planning my training regimens. Since it is my first grow I am going to keep it simple. I see everyone with multiple lights... strongly considering some additional LEDs to assist... maybe some research on a side do it myself to boost flowering time when it comes.

Attachments

• A017A336-CAC5-43FD-8F79-55938A64CC6B.jpeg
    A017A336-CAC5-43FD-8F79-55938A64CC6B.jpeg
    850.4 KB · Views: 52
  • B085F437-0458-425E-AADC-868AD386B8B2.jpeg
    B085F437-0458-425E-AADC-868AD386B8B2.jpeg
    883.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2B77DE93-5040-4232-8E53-0F4A94F7D568.jpeg
    2B77DE93-5040-4232-8E53-0F4A94F7D568.jpeg
    850 KB · Views: 67
  • 834EB4BE-8DC9-40E0-AEC7-05BDE68D9E60.jpeg
    834EB4BE-8DC9-40E0-AEC7-05BDE68D9E60.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
They now have full permission to grow a foot!
image.jpg

I watered them with plain pH water. They are all looking plenty healthy except for back left. Back right is making everyone else look bad. Front left is staying small but looking good. First round of training complete. Time to tweak and LST as they grow up.

I had to go away for a while. These photos taken November 9th. Gave them a nice feeding. Starting to go to full strength and seeing improvement.

Attachments

• DF397810-B188-4F53-BD40-9280AB7E2899.jpeg
    DF397810-B188-4F53-BD40-9280AB7E2899.jpeg
    807.5 KB · Views: 57
  • BF3A0F6A-AB3E-4CC3-85B4-A8836A0745D5.jpeg
    BF3A0F6A-AB3E-4CC3-85B4-A8836A0745D5.jpeg
    709.6 KB · Views: 57
  • C53BF610-9940-4A33-8A8F-1E7F4BE24634.jpeg
    C53BF610-9940-4A33-8A8F-1E7F4BE24634.jpeg
    887.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 2B12A1F1-B5E9-48A5-A752-DB8F465BA7C6.jpeg
    2B12A1F1-B5E9-48A5-A752-DB8F465BA7C6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
Today is training day. Going to feed full strength nutrients today as well. Starting to think about the switch to flower... not quite sure when I should do the change over. Is it a size judgement?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    870.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg