Cold coming and bummed!

Sorry the cold weather got your girls! Something that works great for me to avoid the early montana freeze is to SCROG my outdoor plants. I build a second frame that's mounted a foot or so above the plants. 3 to 4 weeks before our natural light cycle reaches 12/12, I start covering and uncovering with a blacked out tarp. Get them flowering hard and harvest in September. Get alot of nice solid colas n not much larfy shit. It is extra work but worth it to me!
Great idea. Usually, it's not a problem in the greenhouse, and I end up running propane heaters 1 or 2 nights. But the very cold spell early this year is a killer. You're west of the Divide, aren't you? If so, you won't catch the full brunt of this cold snap. We're supposed to go below freezing tonight, and not be above 32F until Saturday, with a Winter Storm Warning tonight 8-10 inches of snow and 40mph winds are predicted.

I'm over by glacier park. I dont know how many harvests were cut early because of cold temp though. Last couple outdoor crops I did, I covered n what a difference!
Just checked West Glacier forecast, and you my avoid the worst of the cold. We get those damn continental cold air masses, and you still get a little Pacific influence there. I am considering both alternative growing methods and/or autos for next year. If I use Scrog in the greenhouse, covered it and added heat, I could grow through late October easily, even with extraordinary cold. I just don't know if I want the extra work. Do you grow in the ground, or bags/pots?

We had a cold spell earlier, just came outta it. Down in the low 20s for a week. Outdoors I'm straight in ground, haven't done any outdoors since getting my dispensary license though. I know it's a little bit of a inconvenience to cover, uncover plants precisely same time everyday ....maybe try doing a 4 by 8 area to try it out. Could probably even rig a garage door opener or light mover to do work for ya!

This is the Gelato. Could have used a few more days. The tub has one plant in it, stuffed.
DSC01911.JPG
DSC01910.JPG
DSC01910.JPG
DSC01912.JPG

What a rigamarol, eh!!! Next year I'm going to try to stick to four plants, double my greenhouse to roughly 6 x 15' and top them way earlier and keep the height to something manageable ......well, that's the plan...

Hope you can stretch them closer to the optimum. It's a shame to get this far and not get the best out of it.

I am in central Ontario Canada and have been stressed out about the cold nights. My 7 foot bud loaded blueberry plants are in a raised bed, no greenhouse. Several nights have gone down to 23 F or minus 5 C. They sure looked sad in the morning but bounced back with the warm sunshine afternoons. The long range forecast tells me we are out of time.
So I am cutting them today even though the buds need another week.

When you say you killed your plants do you mean the cold killed them or you cut them? (When I cut my plants down I always feel like I'm killing them.) I think your plants still look mostly great in the photos you posted.

thanks for posting, it was great to read about your experience

Hey Tess - I'm around the Lake Simcoe area and I have seen frost on my covers almost every morning - I'm at mostly cloudy, hint of amber....I'm still debating...
I am near Algonquin Park, east gate ... I looked at the long range and over the next 14 days there isn't a good stretch of sunshine and warmth that would benefit them. There is a lot of rain and cool temps and some very cold nights. Your buds may be at a similar stage as mine by the sound of it. I just don't see any future benefit to leaving them in the ground now...I mean, how much more can they develop without sunshine and warmth. It breaks my heart to cut them early but as soon as it stops raining today that is what I will do.

We have a short outdoor grow season unfortunately. Last year's plants came in early as well but I found the strength of the end product very satisfactory.

Good luck with your plants!

Thanx Tess - we may take a trip up to Dorset next week, maybe one after that....I'm waiting for a nice sunny day and as you say...nuttin' very inviting next week...
I have been partaking of early, and I mean reaaaaalllllll early samples and I must say, so far so good...do I need more???
I kinda want to leave the forest dwellers until they get dinged by frost just to see the results...

Thanx Tess - we may take a trip up to Dorset next week, maybe one after that....I'm waiting for a nice sunny day and as you say...nuttin' very inviting next week...
I have been partaking of early, and I mean reaaaaalllllll early samples and I must say, so far so good...do I need more???
I kinda want to leave the forest dwellers until they get dinged by frost just to see the results...
I wish I had taken photos...when mine were hit by frost they looked so dead I was almost in tears. Then the sun warmed them up and they were just fine. They have suffered through three good frosts now. I wonder if it is a myth that 2 frosts make for better product in the end??? Dorset is gorgeous right now.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thread with us Bush Doctor 77!

When you say you killed your plants do you mean the cold killed them or you cut them? (When I cut my plants down I always feel like I'm killing them.) I think your plants still look mostly great in the photos you posted.

thanks for posting, it was great to read about your experience
[/QUOTE]
Harvested them. Thanks

Before the frost hit I assumed I'd have far more bud than we can use in a year. Now the question is what can I do with a lot of immature bud? I hope the answer isn't "compost"!

frosty inside.JPG
Those plants are gold!! Do not compost!! If you want it for smoking the bud will not be as strong but still worthwhile imo. But, you could use your plants to make butter and/or oil and use it in baking. Seriously ... edibles are amazing.

Those plants are gold!! Do not compost!! If you want it for smoking the bud will not be as strong but still worthwhile imo. But, you could use your plants to make butter and/or oil and use it in baking. Seriously ... edibles are amazing.

We don't smoke and only use oil. I just checked the greenhouse and it is 62ºF, dry, no sign of mold. Lots of wilting leaves but no other signs of distress from the frosts.

I checked the tricomes with a loupe but I'm still not sure what an amber tricome looks like. I see some tricomes on the edges of sugar leaves that are obviously darker but wonder if that is just frost damage?

Our weather is returning to grey and cool -- lows in the 40's -- with some occasional rain. This makes me somewhat more optimistic so I'll let these girls continue as long as possible.

We don't smoke and only use oil. I just checked the greenhouse and it is 62ºF, dry, no sign of mold. Lots of wilting leaves but no other signs of distress from the frosts.

I checked the tricomes with a loupe but I'm still not sure what an amber tricome looks like. I see some tricomes on the edges of sugar leaves that are obviously darker but wonder if that is just frost damage?

Our weather is returning to grey and cool -- lows in the 40's -- with some occasional rain. This makes me somewhat more optimistic so I'll let these girls continue as long as possible.
From that ladt pic looks like they need a few more weeks cant tell for sure looks to me she's pushing a few white hairs still? You seen mine ......

Back
Top Bottom