And England have quite a match on their hands with Japan it appears. I can't see the match itself, but I am watching the score. How is it going? anyone watching?
I doubt that many in the U.S. are watching. :)

I doubt that many in the U.S. are watching. :)
Tru dat, no skin in the game this time.
No way! Forgot about the rugby.

Possibly because I was paraded down Long Street in my England shirt when the Springboks beat us in the final in 2007!
Lmao! Sounds like fun. I won't give today's score away. The match has just ended.
US Rugby is one of fastest growing sports!
It's a new sport for Japan too and they have excelled in a short time.
Everything is safer than NFL!
🏈

In what county? :laugh:
In the US - typically been a womens’ game. The short form game Rugby 7s is most popular globally in the US - there is actually a partnership/working connections between the USA Track Sprint Team and the USA 7’s team. Sevens is all about running very very fast!

Congratulations on the Parmesan chopity chop! If those sugar leaves were on their way out the calyxes might have been next anyway, so good on timing. :thumb:

Nice rootopsy, and between yours and Nick's drawings I now understand how the earth's core works. :thanks:

The short form game Rugby 7s is most popular globally in the US
So if only 7 people play it here there must be fewer than 7 across the rest of the world?

The HK Rugby Sevens makes Burning Man look like an AA/NA meeting and the fancy dress is mental! 🤣 (OMG random photo off Google and I know two of them 😂)

IMG_6150.jpeg

@shed - what’s your take on the rootopsy?
You had some similar issues and flipped to top watering without hesitation. I took too long with the Gorilla Glue Solo SIP in retrospect.
The plant I converted from failing SIP to top-watered success took 30 days before I was comfortable flipping it, at which point an auto would be getting ready to harvest. And as Carmen said, I don't think those roots would have been a problem with synthetic nutes, but having an entire plant fed by 1" of organic soil won't get you far.
the fancy dress is mental!
Looks more like they're dressed for an insurrection!

but having an entire plant fed by 1" of organic soil won't get you far.
Yeah this - I feel like a solid inch of 70-80% perlite below that might help. The weight of the above “squished” that area a bit much maybe?

That dude! What a nutter! Said he was Gluten/sugar/everything intolerant and only his Mommy could cook his meals to spec! Best in class outfit though!

Honestly - HK expats are possibly the highest averagely rewarded on the planet, plus classy with it, those Dubai/Abu Dhabi ones are so gauche!

But the Sevens all bets are off. You may well see the MD of a client on Tuesday morning (everyone takes Monday off!) talking serious business to you thinking

“Saturday morning I walked past her at 10am puking into a flower bed wearing a banana suit”

🤣

(That obviously is a true story!)

The plant I converted from failing SIP to top-watered success took 30 days before I was comfortable flipping it, at which point an auto would be getting ready to harvest. And as Carmen said, I don't think those roots would have been a problem with synthetic nutes, but having an entire plant fed by 1" of organic soil won't get you far.

Gosh this photo of the attempted insurrection hits hard in the guts. The USA Capitol attack was in January 2021 and the SA July Riots were in July 2021and then last year SA Parliament was burnt down by a mentally ill terrorist.

Both countries have elections again in a few short months. :meditate:

Yeah this - I feel like a solid inch of 70-80% perlite below that night help. The weight of the above “squished” that area a bit much maybe?
My understanding is that 2/3 of the soil was dry and unused because of the matted root mass impeding movement of water upwards. How do you think that the inch of perlite would help percolate the water upwards? I imagine that what would happen is that the roots would instead grow into the perlite and that mass at the bottom would get thicker, which is the opposite of what I want in an organic grow. I am wanting the feeder roots like this, otherwise my rich soil is a waste.
DSC_5519.jpg

My challenge, if I am going to put one plant on a swick in a comparative grow, is to figure out how to prevent the res and wick from becoming septic from organic runoff if I am top watering. One of the reasons I moved away from a perlite res is that it got stinky. That was my fault because I fed organics into the res itself.

My thought for the perlite (I used volcanic rocks as well for a nute boost in my two recent SIPS) is way more structural engineering - it bears the load and keeps the weight of the precious nutrient rich soil from perfoming that role. It gives air, drainage and encourages flow.

Its like @bill284’s method but a dedicated “Flow Zone” - dunno SIPS have airgaps - SWICKs might benefit from something along those lines too?

nearly 40% perlite in a SIP mix,
I’d concur with that but I’m advocating a dedicated layer of near pure (I would do pure tbh) airy, rocky section.

For a SIP, bottom watering only seems to work really well for Otter!
Let you know my thoughts in a couple of weeks!

I’d concur with that but I’m advocating a dedicated layer of near pure (I would do pure tbh) airy, rocky section.
Yes, I got that. I was just wondering about above that. I can tell you that soil over perlite didn't do it for me, but there might have been too much perlite between the water and the soil in mine.
Let you know my thoughts in a couple of weeks!
Nothing personal, but in a couple of weeks you won't have Otter's years of experience in LOS, so if yours goes south it could be the soil and/or anything else going on in there. ;)

ResDog over in the SIP thread recommends nearly 40% perlite in a SIP mix, so would that make a difference to the roots blocking waterflow above the base (if yours is less than that)?
I have the premade craft soil with perlite already in it. I don't know the percentage and I don't necessarily want to start fiddling with that when it has been tested as is. Once I start diluting that mix I am on another mission.

Also, I think what Gee recommends about top watering into the res might be better for an LOS SWICK.
I'm tempted. I do have to solve the problem of the potential for the res to go septic from organic runoff.

For a SIP, bottom watering only seems to work really well for Otter!
I thought all SIPs were bottom watered?

Perhaps, but the manufacturers of the craft soil test it specifically for growing cannabis in pots and I have confidence that the perlite mix is optimal for top watering, which is heavier than wick watering because gravity. I think that the water roots are the problem in an organic grow and I think an added layer of perlite will encourage more water roots.

Nothing personal, but in a couple of weeks you won't have Otter's years of experience in LOS, so if yours goes south it could be the soil and/or anything else going on in there. ;)
Totally - no offence taken!

Mine might momentarily go south but I’m not feeling beholden to soil/organic so I’ll be switching to synths and top watering without hesitation!

(I just got a Top Gun/1980’s UK Band crossover in my head I can’t get rid of 😂 - basically Tom Cruise whipping out a big synthesiser in the cockpit of an F15 Tomcat 😆)

Bottom watered only! LOS folks using amendments (GeoFlora e.g.) and teas and such top water occasionally.

The people look like they’re having the most success all seem to occasionally top water. Makes sense to me - to get those to the edges roots up top in addition to the straight down hydro roots.

Back
Top Bottom