Can someone explain 1k Watt HPS and MH

When I used HID, I'd run MH through the first two weeks of bloom, then switch to HPS, using a 1000W DE fixture. I think the MH for the early bloom reduces stretch. I'm running LED now. Won't go back to HID. I've got <200-680 watts total, and i am very happy with the penetration, especially. Heat is no longer an issue, and my electric bill went down. I also don't have to worry about bulb degradation.

When I used HID, I'd run MH through the first two weeks of bloom, then switch to HPS, using a 1000W DE fixture. I think the MH for the early bloom reduces stretch. I'm running LED now. Won't go back to HID. I've got <200-680 watts total, and i am very happy with the penetration, especially. Heat is no longer an issue, and my electric bill went down. I also don't have to worry about bulb degradation.
He's got 140sq ft to cover with 11' ceilings, I don't see anything performing better than 1000W DE in such a big space.

Im just gonna shut my mouth talking bad aboit leds now compared to hps. I just cant wrap my head around leds. I see some gavitas sell for 1700 here . 6x6 area i guess. I got 2 hps 1ks and 2 more in my car trunk. Ive yet to see a bud so big like that stltoed . I imagine you need really good leds to do all that. My hps isnt getting buds like u got brother lol..
Lights are the most contentious topic in our hobby. It used to be, not that long ago, that the HPS boys beat up on the LED kids... and they were right. LEDs weren't as good as HPS. That ship has sailed. A good LED will have a fully custom spectrum just for plants... something you won't see in any bulb. They are dimmable. They are very powerful, run cooler, never need to buy bulbs, and with Qboards and COBs you can fix them yourself.

Your lights CAN grow big ass buds, bigger than mine no problem. HPS was all we had before LEDs. Theres so much more to it. Sometimes its not the light as much as how you use it, then there's all the other stuff. Is your environment is dialed? including the use of CO2 if needed, Are your nutrients are dialed and you're using Silica, and fulvic acid, Is your grow method sound i recommend hydro, but i also SCROG.
Finally, Plant genetics play a huge part. Grow Big Bud, or Northern Lights, and you'll be shocked at where you end up

And don't ever spend $1700 for a fixture... ever. There are too many great options out there.

Let me share this with you...
DIY LED Grow Light Kits Archives - LED Grow Lights - Commercial Grower Max Yields | ChilLED Tech. Chilled has been around a very long time. They worked closely with Gromau5, and even have water cooled lights. This link is their new stuff. If i had 1700 bucks to burn this is what I would do

I was about to buy 1 mh bulb to switch up 3 hps 1 mh. Ill probally go get that 1 mh. So 4 lights in my room soon. Im wanting to get some mh in their just for overall health what do u guys think about adding 1 mh in with 3 hps bulbs.?
There's a lot of blue in MH light. Blue tends to keep plants smaller, but the confirmation of the plant will be good. This may effect the plants just below the MH. On the flipside HPS has the red. Red, especially far red tends to make the plants grow faster if not lankier. The two together would work really well i imagine, but it may be hard to keep the 2 spectrums uniform throughout the footprint. Just do it and see where it goes. The important thing is you'll have a fair amount of light in your grow area

Size of space is irrelevant. A better light is a better light, no matter how big the space is.
I'm kinda with Nick on this one. My DE footprint can't be beat by any LED. The light isn't bad, you can pick your bulbs to get very good light quality. Quality LEDs for this size would cost a fortune, and may still have "holes"

You're right about the stretch, it probably did help. Sometimes you want that stretch

I once ran 2 GH Waterfarms under a 400w MH and 4oow HPS in the same fixture for 800w total. The yield was a pound of bud. That was with an original Blueberry from D.J. Short. I vegged under the MH alone and just added the HPS for bloom.
Been growing dj shorts blue awhile now . Testing it out. For u to get that much from it is awesome. I notice mine grows small with huge buds. My plant and clones doesnt seem to get bigger then 2 ft. It stays small and bushy. I get some weird colors on the leaves sometimes yellows reds purples maroon. Just a lil bit . I wanna keep it but i hear its not a high potency strain. Was reading up on sub cools journals on it . He said dj short was a legendary grower but the strain itself is judt not legendary in so many words. It smells beautiful and tastes and looks great though.

Been growing dj shorts blue awhile now . Testing it out. For u to get that much from it is awesome. I notice mine grows small with huge buds. My plant and clones doesnt seem to get bigger then 2 ft. It stays small and bushy. I get some weird colors on the leaves sometimes yellows reds purples maroon. Just a lil bit . I wanna keep it but i hear its not a high potency strain. Was reading up on sub cools journals on it . He said dj short was a legendary grower but the strain itself is judt not legendary in so many words. It smells beautiful and tastes and looks great though.
I've thought about growing that strain. I heard its kinda disappointing sometimes, so I stayed away... maybe someday

✌✌

Attachments

• 15884569517822863873522593519614.jpg
    15884569517822863873522593519614.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 81
It is an old strain. I'm guessing I got mine in 2000. A lot has been done in genetics since then. It crossed well with other strains. Grown outdoors here on the high plains with cool nights made it turn purple. It has a decent shelf life.

Cost is relevant though. Not everyone can afford top shelf lights.
100% true, but LEDs pay for themselves over time with lower energy cost, and no bulb replacement every few crops. If you have to run air conditioning because of the heat, HIDs really take a bite out of your wallet every month.

Ya i wanna keep this dj shorts once i dial it in . Is it suppose to stay small though? Was thinking the short part was actually cause it grows short? The smell is really nice though in flower . Ill post some pictures of it soon i got 1 in flower 1 in vege. Both aboit the same size i think.

100% true, but LEDs pay for themselves over time with lower energy cost, and no bulb replacement every few crops. If you have to run air conditioning because of the heat, HIDs really take a bite out of your wallet every month.
In a perfect world LEDs rock, but they are expensive. He has 140 sqr. ft. A large LED fixture might be good for 5x5 in flower. But its gonna be a grand for 25 square feet. This is a very generic example... it would be expensive. You're right about the cost of bulbs, they can be very expensive especially DE, electricity/cooling, if that's an issue... with 11 foot ceilings it may not be. So a large up front cost, and a return that will take quite a while. I guess it comes down to what he can afford now, since it would probably be years before it all worked out on paper. Dont get me wrong, I totally agree with you... LEDs are the shit, but sometimes cost prohibitive

I was always thinking of using led panels as sidelight supplement. But now i see what they do and wonder if i should get 4 small ones just for a supplement. I hear they dont use much eletricity so wouldnt up my bills so much. So i got 4 air cooled hoods now . I think 6 would be ideal but ima try these 1st 4 . I figure ill turn em down to 600 so 4x600 even then my eletric is inky gonna be 400 watts more. I was expecting 3200 to 3600. So im still keeping my eye out for 2 more 1k dimmable set ups for a total of 6. Most my problems i notice is trellising and moving those plants around to get the right light. Late in fkower its more difficult but im using bamboo now . Keeping my plants a little smaller hopefully alot smaller soon. And the 2 new lights im wondering yow it goes. I still need to walk around in their. My mondhi pump is cool but i usually hand water. I wanna do an automatic watering system that uses that mondhi pump and my 25 and 60 gallon water resevoirs. It couldnt be too hard id think. And i try to do alot of pots if i can so an auto watering system would be ideal.

Ya i wanna keep this dj shorts once i dial it in . Is it suppose to stay small though? Was thinking the short part was actually cause it grows short? The smell is really nice though in flower . Ill post some pictures of it soon i got 1 in flower 1 in vege. Both aboit the same size i think.
It is a short strain. I grew one outside, and it spread out over 10 feet, and was less than 5 feet tall. Got about 6 pounds from it. It was in a corral next to an old milking barn, and the soil was very rich.

In a perfect world LEDs rock, but they are expensive. He has 140 sqr. ft. A large LED fixture might be good for 5x5 in flower. But its gonna be a grand for 25 square feet. This is a very generic example... it would be expensive. You're right about the cost of bulbs, they can be very expensive especially DE, electricity/cooling, if that's an issue... with 11 foot ceilings it may not be. So a large up front cost, and a return that will take quite a while. I guess it comes down to what he can afford now, since it would probably be years before it all worked out on paper. Dont get me wrong, I totally agree with you... LEDs are the shit, but sometimes cost prohibitive
Larger the grow, the more you save with LEDs, but yes, they can run into money. DIY can help quite a bit there. A nice thing about HID is that you can change Kelvin by changing a bulb. You can go from 2500K or so to 10,000K with the same ballast.

Back
Top Bottom