Auto Jack 2: A Re-Veg Story

Nice experiment, and I commend you for it. Especially since:

Post-harvest day 33

You'd probably have a much more productive plant, had you planted a seed on day one, lol.

I guess I'll pause for laughter here... But this illustrates why more experimentation isn't carried out - it often means a loss of productivity (almost requires it, if one uses proper controls/etc. of scientific method).

Thanks for taking one for the team ;) . Now what most of us assumed to be true... has been proven to be so.

While you're at it... There's enough greenery there to take a cutting or two, methinks.

Some further musings :ganjamon:

on the subject of

Why bother?
(hey, it’s Friday & I’m feeling no pain! :ganjamon:)
• Didn’t have to buy a seed
• Don’t know if it will regrow as the same phenotype, but I really liked the original plant. She wasn’t fussy, and the aroma, taste, and high of this particular JH is mighty fine. :yummy:
• Doesn’t require lights, and I’m using up my Dyna-Gro nutes so I can switch to something else. So not much investment.
• As @Pyr0 noted, this re-veg didn’t go through a typical period of weird, stunted growth. So...
Why not?
:passitleft:

Good morning! (well, it’s morning here - although it’s starting out with typical ‘June gloom’)

Now what most of us assumed to be true... has been proven to be so.

I looked at this again, and I don’t understand what you wrote. I’ve searched the internet for any other occurrence of a re-veg of an Auto like this.

I saw a few like the one that @BigBearNTexas kept in flower, but the overwhelming consensus is that an Auto will die once it finishes flowering.

So, what exactly did you mean by “what most of us assumed to be true”?

So, what exactly did you mean by “what most of us assumed to be true”?

Sorry, I thought most assumed it was possible (and that no one had tested the theory before). If ruderalis is looked at as an annual... well, many annuals can be kept longer if the plant and environment is controlled (IOW, plants are brought inside, away from frost), flowers are dead-headed, root system is kept healthy, etc.).

As stated previously, I'd just assumed that no one ever actually tested the theory because it didn't seem like a productive activity.

Are you going to continue with this? I'd be interested in seeing whether it holds true for one, several, or many additional harvests. If "many" (or even "several"), it would be possible for a person to sort of mimic the traditional multi-tent setup; moving harvested auto-flowering plants into a different space for "recycling" (lol) and moving others that are farther along in the process (back) into the main tent to fill the holes. Rinse/lather/repeat.

I don't know if that would be a way to make this thing productive or not. I cannot help but feel that keeping mothers (even "mini-mothers") and rooting cuttings from them in a second tent would be a better use of space, time, materials, utilities, and labor. However, some folks just (for whatever reason) really like auto-flowering cannabis plants, lol. I'm far from the world's greatest fan - but I no longer "hate on them" like I once did. And I see the appeal of not having to worry about the dark period - it means that one's "tent" need not be an actual manufactured product. In areas where the growing of cannabis is considered to be a legal activity, a person has the option of growing them - literally - like any other house plant. Considering how hard it is to actually kill a cannabis plant and the fact that my mother's green thumb blinks (lol), I imagine that she would have loved growing them as such.

Are you going to continue with this? I'd be interested in seeing whether it holds true for one, several, or many additional harvests.

Absolutely! If she is cooperative. Here’s an ideal, though perhaps unlikely, scenario:

• She produces many clones from cuttings,

• They all respond to a similar post-harvest treatment, and re-veg like Mom,

• Their clones do also...

I could then keep this Auto pheno that I really like, just like a photo-period strain.

That would be very cool, and I would be very happy! :smokin:

And I see the appeal of not having to worry about the dark period

This is why I like Autos. And also that, during flowering, I can achieve a higher DLI with 24 hours than 12 hours, with the same light.

Some interesting shit going on in here.. I was just talking about re-vegging autoflowers over at smeegs place today and then he sent me here. I think i'll hang around for a bit to see what happens if that's ok.. I didn't think this was possible but you've proved me wrong. Can I just ask if you done anything to prompt it to veg again or did this just happen itself after harvest?

Welcome Tommy! :high-five:

Nothing that seemed very special at the time - just what I described in the first post. This started as a lark. But I plan to try that again and see if I can replicate these results!

also that, during flowering, I can achieve a higher DLI with 24 hours than 12 hours, with the same light.

Absolutely. I think auto-flowering strains have been a boon to the sellers of cheap LED panels because one can flower under 18 (or more) hours of light per day. Makes the little buggers appear to be stronger than they actually are (IMHO)

Nothing that seemed very special at the time - just what I described in the first post.

Makes sense. We've been told to remove roses from the plants if we want them to keep producing roses (and I've seen some appear quite late in the season), keeping fruit and vegetable plants picked clean leads to higher production, et cetera. I get the idea that it's not the production of flowers that initiates the dying, it's having those flowers remain on the plant too long.

Which, if true, would mean a higher probability of success the earlier one removed the buds. But that probably defeats the purpose of growing cannabis, lol.

Problematic (for me!) is the fact that not all "annuals" actually are, so I cannot automatically assume that something I read about {random plant} surviving longer than expected is relevant. I had always assumed that peppers were annuals - until I grew one indoors. Then, later, I read about how a lot of people use a pepper plant in place of the traditional trees used in bonsai - because peppers are easy to train to look like a 200-year old miniature tree in just a year or so, they bloom, and have colorful fruit.

I had always assumed that peppers were annuals - until I grew one indoors.

Peppers can be over-wintered outdoors also - if it’s the right pepper and a mild climate.
This is my 3-year old rocoto.

And now...

A Saturday Photo Shoot!

And the greenhouse harem

Check out the LST on the Hempy and L.O.S Sungolds. I’m doing a comparison grow for taste.

I hope everyone is enjoying a perfect Saturday! :surf:

Welcome Tommy! :high-five:

Nothing that seemed very special at the time - just what I described in the first post. This started as a lark. But I plan to try that again and see if I can replicate these results!
This just has literally blown my mind.. I have 2 auto seeds on the way i'm definitely going to give this a go with them after harvest and see what happens.

Welcome Shed! :high-five:

They are just starting to turn orange. :drool:
The hempy is ripening faster, so they are already bigger.
Initial blind tasting - my wife said the L.O.S. sample had more concentrated flavor (but it could be because it was a smaller mater).

Now for some pics (that you’ve already seen over at the old grow journal):

Back
Top Bottom