Ase's Perpetual Fun With Coco

Babies are born!! Im cheering on that little Widow! GO girl GO:thumb:

420-magazine-mobile536388832.jpg

Hey Ase! Nice setup. Love the detail to start us off. New to the community here and currently doing my first grow. I'm doing soil but have become more and more interested in coco for my next run. Hope you don't mind if I tag along and learn a little more. Also, those metal racks are genius! I've been trying to figure a better solution than just barricading my runoff with numerous towels. Now I'll actually use my shop vac too!

Hey Red! Thanks for coming along. I think everyone should do their first grow in soil. You may not be able to fix things as fast but you don't have to do quite as much or water quite as much. It's a good way to just learn. There is a bit of a learning curve to coco for sure but I love it.

The best part of the metal racks is that if I need to fold the grow up and store it, I can stack the racks and put all my equipment on it.

I landed on the flood trays from a friend otherwise they can be kind of expensive. I had the idea of using a pallet cover from work (thick plastic cover) or tarp to funnel the water to a single container to empty it before I got lucky and got those. Shop vacs are awesome for cleanup.

Welcome to the community! I've been here a year now and you can definitely see my growth in my grows. I'm sure you will see similar results.

Seedling Week 1/Day 1

Just noting that all 4 are out fully now and 3 of the 4 have a nice taproot out the bottom. The Gorilla Glue does not yet. I will give them their first watering/feeding tomorrow. I have been spraying the tent with water as it's been warm here but it's cooled back down. That taproot will branch out inside the container and start looking for water. That exactly what I want.

IMG_212524.JPG

Widow's Taproot
IMG_213028.JPG

Seedling Week 1/Day 3

Yesterday I mixed up nutes to about 270 ppm. Cal-mag to 150 ppm and the rest a ratio of 1-1-1. Also added a few drops of rapidstart. I used a dropper and gave them each a few droppers full of water. It was spread out all over the pots instead of just at the base of the plant. Today I gave them all full waterings with just some drops of runoff. It was enough to soak the coco again. I'm seeing multiple roots at different spots at the bottom of the pots. I expect them to enjoy the heavier watering and will go lighter tomorrow.

Widow is the tallest and Headlights right behind
IMG_215124.JPG

Headlights the widest and Cherry Bomb right behind
IMG_215423.JPG

Germination Round #2

These 4 seeds are the 4 I have been looking forward to starting the most. I've honestly been waiting to do these ones for about 3 months. Not because of the strains necessarily but because I can really follow a schedule that I think is going to work great 100% of the way through. Also the training I will be doing to see if I can get 4 plants to look great. Off we go!

Here is the lineup for the photos I will be growing

Spliff Seeds Amnesiac - This strain was bred out from an Amnesia clone (Amnesia x Neville's Haze) sourced from Holland. Spliff Seeds Amnesiac feminized cannabis seeds create a vegetative gem with real indica-inspired buds that are rock-hard, compact and heavy. She has very little leaves, which makes her easy to manicure. The widely set apart fan leaves are narrow and serrated, and the color is a medium-to-dark green. 70/30 Sativa/Indica.

Barney's Farms Tangerine Dream - Tangerine Dream is sativa-dominant strain offering tangy, intense sweet citrus aromas and flavors as well as effects that are at once cerebral and relaxing. This strain starts with the legendary G13 plant, known for it’s intense flavors and strong effects, which is crossed with the unusually refined and exotic Neville’s A-5 Haze. The resulting plant is again crossed with G13. Tangerine Dream offers the visceral sensations of tearing into fresh citrus: a spray of essential oils from the peel with its complex and pleasant bitterness; deep, pungent aromas fill the air, and then, the concentrated, tangy sweet flavor of fruit and juice on the tongue.

Vision Seeds Jack Herer - This multiple Cannabis Cup Winner is undoubtedly one of the most special types of marijuana in the cannabis world today. Named in honor of the late Jack Herer, the world famous global hemp activist and author of 'The Emperor Wears No Clothes'. Many years of extensive breeding and special selection gave way to this multiple Haze hybrid that will deliver good yields of medium density buds glistening with juicy, resin coated Haze bracts that have a fresh and peppery, pungent Haze smell mixed with a hint of fruity skunk. Jack Herer has an award-winning flavor of strong peppered Haze spiced with a delicious dash of fruity acridness and the effects have a quick onset with a strong uplifting cerebral high and a giggly edge. Definitely one for the connoisseur. 80/20 Sativa/Indica.

Nirvana's White Castle - Nirvana White Castle is an F1 marijuana hybrid of two absolute winners. With a White Widow mother and our award-winning Ice for a father, White Castle marijuana seeds are as outrageous as one would expect. The sturdier, denser structure of Ice really thickens up the often light and wispy White Widow buds. White Widow's flavor, strength, and social high remain very present in this cannabis strain. Medical marijuana users are extremely fond of White Castle for its pain-killing properties. Hybrid 50/50.

A very Sativa heavy lineup this time. Jack Herer is one of my favorite strains when done right so that is one I am really pulling for. Also Nirvana seeds has had very strong growing plants for me. I am anxious to see if this trend will continue.

Seedling Week 1/Day 6

All 4 of the new seeds had strong white taproots coming out. They were about one CM long and pretty much perfect. Did my typical routine for planting in coco and I expect to see green coming out of all 4 by tomorrow. That would put them exactly a week behind the autos. My humidity dome is currently occupied by vegetables and herbs for cooking so normally I would put plastic bags over them however my veg tent has decent humidity right now and I will be around all weekend to spray water or hang towels.
IMG_218823.JPG

The autos are picking up the pace fast, especially the Headight and Cherry Bomb. I let the coco get on the dryish side this time and then gave a full watering today. Looking good so far.
IMG_219223.JPG

Germination Round #2

These 4 seeds are the 4 I have been looking forward to starting the most. I've honestly been waiting to do these ones for about 3 months. Not because of the strains necessarily but because I can really follow a schedule that I think is going to work great 100% of the way through. Also the training I will be doing to see if I can get 4 plants to look great. Off we go!

Here is the lineup for the photos I will be growing

Spliff Seeds Amnesiac - This strain was bred out from an Amnesia clone (Amnesia x Neville's Haze) sourced from Holland. Spliff Seeds Amnesiac feminized cannabis seeds create a vegetative gem with real indica-inspired buds that are rock-hard, compact and heavy. She has very little leaves, which makes her easy to manicure. The widely set apart fan leaves are narrow and serrated, and the color is a medium-to-dark green. 70/30 Sativa/Indica.

Barney's Farms Tangerine Dream - Tangerine Dream is sativa-dominant strain offering tangy, intense sweet citrus aromas and flavors as well as effects that are at once cerebral and relaxing. This strain starts with the legendary G13 plant, known for it's intense flavors and strong effects, which is crossed with the unusually refined and exotic Neville's A-5 Haze. The resulting plant is again crossed with G13. Tangerine Dream offers the visceral sensations of tearing into fresh citrus: a spray of essential oils from the peel with its complex and pleasant bitterness; deep, pungent aromas fill the air, and then, the concentrated, tangy sweet flavor of fruit and juice on the tongue.

Vision Seeds Jack Herer - This multiple Cannabis Cup Winner is undoubtedly one of the most special types of marijuana in the cannabis world today. Named in honor of the late Jack Herer, the world famous global hemp activist and author of 'The Emperor Wears No Clothes'. Many years of extensive breeding and special selection gave way to this multiple Haze hybrid that will deliver good yields of medium density buds glistening with juicy, resin coated Haze bracts that have a fresh and peppery, pungent Haze smell mixed with a hint of fruity skunk. Jack Herer has an award-winning flavor of strong peppered Haze spiced with a delicious dash of fruity acridness and the effects have a quick onset with a strong uplifting cerebral high and a giggly edge. Definitely one for the connoisseur. 80/20 Sativa/Indica.

Nirvana's White Castle - Nirvana White Castle is an F1 marijuana hybrid of two absolute winners. With a White Widow mother and our award-winning Ice for a father, White Castle marijuana seeds are as outrageous as one would expect. The sturdier, denser structure of Ice really thickens up the often light and wispy White Widow buds. White Widow's flavor, strength, and social high remain very present in this cannabis strain. Medical marijuana users are extremely fond of White Castle for its pain-killing properties. Hybrid 50/50.

A very Sativa heavy lineup this time. Jack Herer is one of my favorite strains when done right so that is one I am really pulling for. Also Nirvana seeds has had very strong growing plants for me. I am anxious to see if this trend will continue.

I want to watch the the White Castle. .

Seedling Week 1/Day 6

All 4 of the new seeds had strong white taproots coming out. They were about one CM long and pretty much perfect. Did my typical routine for planting in coco and I expect to see green coming out of all 4 by tomorrow. That would put them exactly a week behind the autos. My humidity dome is currently occupied by vegetables and herbs for cooking so normally I would put plastic bags over them however my veg tent has decent humidity right now and I will be around all weekend to spray water or hang towels.
IMG_218823.JPG

The autos are picking up the pace fast, especially the Headight and Cherry Bomb. I let the coco get on the dryish side this time and then gave a full watering today. Looking good so far.
IMG_219223.JPG

Those girls are flying! I was at day 14/15 with similar sized ladies. Hats off man!:goodjob: Thinking i was maybe watering too much and not letting the coco dry a little now and then?

Keep your coco hydrated with daily feedings. If it dries out you'll get hot spots. Its very hard to over water coco

I did water daily, now watering twice daily. Just trying to think why my ladies were so behind. Can a deficiency stunt growth that much early on?

Keep your coco hydrated with daily feedings. If it dries out you'll get hot spots. Its very hard to over water coco

I keep it damp, not dry. I agree with PW, don't let it dry out but I don't water daily during this first week. More like every other day and keep my environment humid. I will water daily starting tomorrow at the beginning of my first veg week. Just my preference!

I did water daily, now watering twice daily. Just trying to think why my ladies were so behind. Can a deficiency stunt growth that much early on?

Yeah as PW said, it for sure can. Stress can stall plants for a long time or sometimes even kill plants. Deficiencies are stress. I was really excited to start this time as I have everything that I wanted. Root enhancers (Rapidstart and Great White) and a better pre-treat of coco with correct PPMs. My environment is pretty nice as well. I know a few tricks like hanging wet towels, or how far my lights should be, etc. Stuff I don't have to experiment with anymore. The more ideal you can have things dialed in the faster they will grow!

Thats a good point, pre charging the coco and ph'ing within hydro range makes a huge difference.

To me, this is the most important thing to do in earliest stages. Most of the time people have problems in coco early on it's because of not doing this. Coco is just a blank slate. Plants don't grow well when you give them nothing, plain and simple. As little stress for seedlings as possible in the beginning. Want to get them to the point they can be topped as fast as possible.

To me, this is the most important thing to do in earliest stages. Most of the time people have problems in coco early on it's because of not doing this. Coco is just a blank slate. Plants don't grow well when you give them nothing, plain and simple. As little stress for seedlings as possible in the beginning. Want to get them to the point they can be topped as fast as possible.
Agreed, once I charged the coco for my first transplant I had no problems. The initial problems probably happened cos I didn't charge the first small pots of coco. I only rinsed it with tap water

Back
Top Bottom