Are these 37 day old plants looking healthy?

I saw this thread yesterday and my first thought was that plants looked 'lanky' or 'leggy' like they are not getting enough light. Otherwise, yep, they do look healthy.

As for the 3 blade leaves my thoughts are that it is another sign that the plants are not growing at their best right now. I really doubt that it is a sign that they are going into a revegetating stage. To me one clue is that the edges of the blades are a nice looking serrated edge just like a sharp saw. The edges are not smooth or just small dull points like when a plant has entered the revegatating stage. I often see the plant produce 3 blade leaves for awhile and then start growing the 5 blades on newer leaves. Come to think of it, tomatoes will often have different shaped leaves while the plant is young or if it is growing in a less than optimum location, usually in heavy shade.

Drop the lights down a bit more. Watch what they are reacting and adjust back up if they start to look like something is going drastically wrong. I have let some of my plants grow right into the LED lights with a few minor burns and they recovered just fine.

The first photo is from yesterday and the plant tops are at light level. Often the leaves would have to touch the back of the tubes of diodes which is where the metallic reflector is on my LED T5 lights. It takes a couple of days before burn marks start to show. And, yes, I deliberately left the purple pod stay on just to show how much detail is lost plus the underexposure when photos are taken under burple lights.

full

The second photo is from several years ago when the leaves had been touching the tubes for several days in a row The burn marks are just where they touched and the rest of the leaf was not touching. The burns do not heal but the rest of the leaf survived. And, new leaves do not show any damage.

full

I agree, not enough light at 60w. Fewer leaflets is a sign of lack of light – the plant produces a full leaf as fast as it can to get more light, hence fewer leaflets. I've seen them do one leaflet.

Otherwise, they are looking good!

I saw this thread yesterday and my first thought was that plants looked 'lanky' or 'leggy' like they are not getting enough light. Otherwise, yep, they do look healthy.

As for the 3 blade leaves my thoughts are that it is another sign that the plants are not growing at their best right now. I really doubt that it is a sign that they are going into a revegetating stage. To me one clue is that the edges of the blades are a nice looking serrated edge just like a sharp saw. The edges are not smooth or just small dull points like when a plant has entered the revegatating stage. I often see the plant produce 3 blade leaves for awhile and then start growing the 5 blades on newer leaves. Come to think of it, tomatoes will often have different shaped leaves while the plant is young or if it is growing in a less than optimum location, usually in heavy shade.

Drop the lights down a bit more. Watch what they are reacting and adjust back up if they start to look like something is going drastically wrong. I have let some of my plants grow right into the LED lights with a few minor burns and they recovered just fine.

The first photo is from yesterday and the plant tops are at light level. Often the leaves would have to touch the back of the tubes of diodes which is where the metallic reflector is on my LED T5 lights. It takes a couple of days before burn marks start to show. And, yes, I deliberately left the purple pod stay on just to show how much detail is lost plus the underexposure when photos are taken under burple lights.

full

The second photo is from several years ago when the leaves had been touching the tubes for several days in a row The burn marks are just where they touched and the rest of the leaf was not touching. The burns do not heal but the rest of the leaf survived. And, new leaves do not show any damage.

full

Thanks for posting this info.

It's really interesting to see what needs to happen to cause actual destruction of plant tissue (when using lights other than gas discharge).

It's really interesting to see what needs to happen to cause actual destruction of plant tissue (when using lights other than gas discharge).
It is not pleasant to try to keep my fingers on one of those LED T-5 tubes while they are turned on. Within 10-15 seconds it feels like I am going to get blisters if I do not let go.;) As I mentioned the back of the tube is a reflector and that part gets really hot to the touch.

But, ya, it is surprising sometimes just how much light and heat the leaves can handle.

I’ve had 3 finger leaves before.. it’s a stress signal in my experience. Mine was actually a response to overwhelming heat and dry air. Interestingly, the plant kept growing 3 finger leaves from that specific growth tip for a while. They eventually went away once the environment was dialed in, but I found it odd they were only coming out of the one area which wasn’t even the area closest to the heat source.

Hey sir/miss, your plants look not bad.
But by now they were supposed to have 5 leaves.
They are suffering some kind of stress.
Are you feeding them? Is it too cold or hot in the room? Or is it too dry or humid?

p.s. If it was my plants I would've topped them already.

Back
Top Bottom