Applegate's 1st Grow - Tangerine Dream & Jack Herer

Hey Obi Wan! Thanks for popping in! I checked out your second grow journal and am so impressed with your meticulous on-going data. Wow! I'm keeping a written record on my grow but I obviously need to take it to another level! I'm starting to think I might like to get involved in the green industry as a retirement gig, assuming things eventually get that far in my neck of the woods. I think my past as an experienced fruit and veggie gardener gives me the instinct for growing any type of plant but there are so many interesting angles and sciences involved in MJ botany and I need to delve deeper to increase my understanding.

I understand where you are coming from apple. I grew veggie gardens for many years before I tried to grow weed indoors. It is a whole new learning experience, but you got your plants looking great. It is different, but you have this under control. The more grows you have, the more you learn. I have produced pounds of weed indoors and I'm still learning. All this after years of running an acre veg garden outdoors. You have the right combination of experience and willingness to learn. I admire your grow and can always learn more.

:thumb:

Hullo Applegate!
Just today came across yer grow and it certainly does show this aint yer first time in the tulips. Picture of health are those plants (-:

No grow help from me, I'm biding my time till' next Summer by reading and learning.

Yer username is what grabbed me attention truth be told.
I lived in the way-out-back of So. Oregon in my youth and my PO Box was located in thegrocerystoregasstationgossipcentral of the town of Applegate. Fine memories (-;

Yer username is what grabbed me attention truth be told.
I lived in the way-out-back of So. Oregon in my youth and my PO Box was located in thegrocerystoregasstationgossipcentral of the town of Applegate. Fine memories (-;

Hey there Olderthandirt! I would have never placed you in south Oregon given your Scottish with a sprinkle of Yoda accent!:cheesygrinsmiley: Applegate is my childhood nickname - I never knew there was an actual Applegate on the map. I hope it's still there...I'm going to visit via Google Earth.

Since you're waiting for summer I suspect you are planning an outdoor grow? I'd love to do that but given my location (North and east of fair Oregon) I don't think the season is quite long enough.

How long did you veg them? 2 months?

I planted the popped seeds October 11th and flipped them November 22nd (Day 43). I wished I could have vegged longer but one of the Tangerines is chest high already. Friday is portrait day and I'll be posting pics tomorrow. They are on the verge of overgrowing their expanded area. I probably waited too long to switch them. Live and learn!

heh-heh, not Scot, just internet forum odd (-;

Summer grow for the 1st round. Simply no dollars to spare to set up any kind of indoor grow.
My wife is the actual gardener in the house. As I learn the finer points of composting or aerating a soil mix or what different amendments bring to the table etc....... she looks at me and sighs. Something to the effect of "If he'd have paid attention to me all these years most of this wouldn't be new to him!"

Applegate Oregon.
Just 'bout at the halfway point betwixt Medford and Grants Pass. I was living 25 miles or so South of Applegate, almost at the Calif border. I got into town, Applegate mainly, Jacksonville once a month if lucky, so I never got to know any o' the locals.
Surrounded by some o' the premier cannabis fields in these United States and for the 3 years I was down there I never saw a single one! pooh

Watching yer journal with admiration, yer husbands a lucky soul to have yer greenthumb around (-:

I let my first 3 plants get to big as well. I figured the bigger the plant the bigger the harvest - but I what I didn't figure on was how difficult it would become to care for them in a tight space.
I look forward to your updated pics tomorrow so don't forget:thumb:

It's official. I am an idiot. And an arrogant idiot at that! The guy at the grow store told me that the light would accommodate three plants. Three plants MAX. So what do I do? I grow four plants because it's obvious that the grow store guy simply doesn't understand that I'm an accomplished grower of tomatoes and turnips and such. I wrapped myself up in a blanket of delusions and am now nanny to a nursery of needy ballerinas that require assistance with a daily pirouette to keep them in strong light. And I'm telling you, when it's time to dance they insist on leading.

The Tangerines hit 40" this morning (Day 48) and the Jacks aren't far behind at 34". Throw the 10 inches of grow pot in the equation and in a couple more days at this rate the Tangerines will be looking me in the eye.

After all my wracking indecision about when to filp them, I ended up pulling the trigger 5 days ago (November 22) and gave them their first 12 hour dose of dark. The 10 PM - 10 AM dark period KILLS me in the morning because I can't trot down and see them first thing. It had become my morning ritual and I miss it. On work days I don't get to see them until evening. This flowering business has really put a cramp in my lifestyle!

I'd read that their water needs would diminish a bit in flowering. I hope that holds true - the girls are thirstier than ever right now and slurping up about 3/4 of a gallon a day. Because I keep my nutes low I feed them everytime I water and it seems to be working out okay.

Here are probably the last pictures I can take without a wide angle lens!

i_november_27_2015_005.JPG

The Tangerines

i_november_27_2015_008.JPG
i_november_27_2015_007.JPG

The Jacks

i_november_27_2015_010.JPG

Two pictures of the jungle - I couldn't decide which pic was the best so you get a two'fer

i_november_27_2015_013.JPG
i_november_27_2015_015.JPG

The ittybitty magical new growth beginning to show on the girls

i_november_27_2015_018.JPG
i_november_27_2015_019.JPG

One last thing - What do you all think of taking off their petticoats? I see many pictures where the weaker bottom branches are removed. I don't know if lollipop is the word I'm looking for here but I'm wondering if trimming them up a little will benefit them?

Yikes!

First of all.. I wouldnt say idiot.. !
Youre, like me.. In the experimental/trial and error stage.
i do alot of idiotic stuff, not because im an idiot, but because im new and want to experiment, experience, see and learn for myself

Do you have cfls? Can add a few of those for extra lighting, side lighting..:smokin:

Im afraid i would take ..atleast one of the tangerine tops, still early enough in flower, might save her from running into the light.

And trimming undergrowth, I think its a good idea. Mostly at this point removing bud sites. Those smaller popcorn bud sites..

They look great and the coloring is beautiful.

Now just "TRY" to resist the urge to take any clones.... that one extra plant you can deal with.

Then in a few months refer back to your above post (#51) when planting seeds for the next grow and remember they're like puppies... real cute when they are small but then they grow up...:thumb:

I've been busy with work and another project so I haven't had time to wander through everybody's journals and say hi. But know that I do journal tour on a regular basis and am intrigued and impressed with the progress of everybody's gardens!

It is day 55 in the laboratory. I've processed my regret over growing too many plants and now have shifted into a giddy "how big will they go?" mentality. I'm a famous procrastinator so I know there's plenty of time to kick myself down the road.

I really did have to use a wide angle lens to take the pictures this week and I'm thinking about all that I've read about letting these plants veg for a minimum of two, or gasp, three months, and I think, SERIOUSLY? I now know that in my second grow I'll be growing a maximum of two plants and will get my hands wet with some serious topping, trimming, and taming. But until then, it's gonna be a girls gone wild party in the basement!

I flipped them on day 43 and 5 days into the 12/12 cycle the digital timer for the lights failed to turn off and the plants got a 25 hour dose of light. Not knowing exactly what to do I pulled the plug and gave them an equal period of dark which gave me time to get a Titan digital timer that is supposed to not only be bullet proof but also extend the serviceable life of the ballast. Having done research after the fact I now know that cheaper timers are not compatible with digital ballasts and now can throw around words like "resistive" and "inductive" into conversations if I'm ever drawn into a discussion about electrical loading. My education deepens in areas I'd never previously considered.

In any case, because of the lighting cycle glitch I'm keeping an eye out for any stress induced hermie signs. The plants are lousy with pre-flower pistils at every junction but it's still hard to imagine that they're going to get beefy buds (hopefully) at some point.

I did find a problem with the lowest sugar leaves on the Jacks. Initially I dismissed it as potential contact nute burn because those leaves did have a tendency to get wet during watering. But the symptoms progressed to the next set of leaves. I have diagnosed a phosphorous deficiency and think I've got a handle on it but admit it is difficult to know for sure since the pictures depicting phosphorus and potassium and iron issues look an awful lot the same to me. Ideas? Suggestions?

Here is what greets me when I open the door to the garden

j_December_4_2015_002.JPG

My little personal forest - I have a chair in the corner and I love to sit and stare and warm my bones.

j_December_4_2015_003.JPG
j_December_4_2015_005.JPG
j_December_4_2015_006.JPG

I can't get over the beauty of the leaves. Remember the sirens in the Odyssey? I think they must have been plants.

j_December_4_2015_007.JPG
j_December_4_2015_009.JPG

The Jacks are getting a nice showing of pistils. The Tangerines, not as much but they're inching along.

j_December_4_2015_010.JPG

Did I say the Tangerines would be staring me in the eye in a couple of days? Didn't need a psychic hotline for that prediction!

j_December_4_2015_015.JPG

The potential phosphorous deficiency on the Jacks. I upped the flowering nutes and it seemed to stem the problem. At least it's not getting worse.

j_December_4_2015_011.JPG
j_December_4_2015_012.JPG

Holy cow, how tall are you?

Once again, the colors are beautiful, you have have excellent grow going on here and I don't blame you for pulling up a chair and just watching and listening to them grow :)

Back
Top Bottom